Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*prisoner solidarity

Not the fanciest flyer in the world, but there's a demo at HMP Whitemoor on the 21st:

From Bristol ABC:

Update and call for support!​

December 12, 2023

It’s been a long summer of prisoner support! Please see our chart below with our spending from June – November 2023. We have consistently supported many people moving in and out of prison for resisting the police at the Kill the Bill demonstration in March 2021. We are coming into our third winter and our funds are at their lowest point.

We are relieved that people are steadily finishing their sentences and leaving prison but that doesn’t mean the support stops. Many people need help with living costs, rent and adapting to life outside. As of early December 2023, we are still supporting ten people behind bars for the KTB protests, and several other anarchist prisoners. We support a number of family members to visit their loved ones across the country on a monthly basis. We also continue to purchase books, CDs and clothing for people inside, as well as paying for their monthly canteen costs to enable them to purchase needed things and buy the phone credit they need to stay in touch with their loved ones.

We know it is a financially difficult time for many right now and that fundraising is a constant challenge for many movements for liberation. We appreciate every single donation made and are asking folks to dig deep so that we can keep supporting people held in the state’s cages for fighting back against this world of oppression!

Thank you so much for all your incredible solidarity so far. Don’t miss our lovely merchandise too: Queers Hate Prisons T-shirts (sliding-scale) – Solidarity Apothecary

Bristol Anarchist Black Cross
Donation link: #KillTheBill Prisoner Support Fund, organized by Bristol ABC
BABC-Finances-Dec-1024x1024.png

News of previous month from Anarchist Black Cross Belarus (translation):

News about political anarchists in Belarus for November 2023

In mid-November, it became known that Igor Olinevich spent 20 days in the SHIZO. [SHIZO is solitary confinement.]

On November 17, a report by the Belarusian service of Radio "Svoboda" about Mikola Dziadok was published (Навіны палітвязьняў: «Сядзіць у адзіночцы, вучыць нямецкую і арабскую». Што вядома пра анархіста Дзядка). Mykola is sitting in a solitary cell of prison No. 1 (Grodno) and continues his self-education - he studies German and Arabic languages."Among the books he manages to order, mainly dictionaries, reference books, and textbooks. Arabic is not a hobby for him, but a professional occupation. His thesis at YSU was devoted to political problems in the Middle East," the article notes.It is known that Mykola Dziadok has the opportunity to call his relatives, letters arrive from him, although not as often as before from the colony. There are some health problems, Mykola is trying to deal with them.

While the political prisoners are sitting, their works find a response among readers and theatergoers. On November 12, Krakow hosted the presentation of the Polish translation of Mykola Dziadok's book "The Color of a Parallel World" (the translation was released in September). And on November 13 and 14, a play based on the book by Igor Olinevich "I'm Going to Magadan", staged by the Czech theater 3+KK, was held in Warsaw. Performances gathered full halls. One of the moments of the performance is illustrated in this publication.

According to the Viasna human rights center, Alexander Frantzkevich* has been in a cell-type facility since September. A stage awaits him soon, because on October 19, Lukashenko signed a decree on the liquidation of IK-5 in Ivatsevichi and the establishment of a medical and labor prevention center in its place. The liquidation must take place within three months.The most likely places where Alexander will be sent are the colonies in Novosady or Volkovysk, since only they receive prisoners with a strict regime of detention.
*ABC-Belarus provides Frantzkevich with critical support.

Despite the efforts of the jailers, political prisoners anarchists keep up their spirits and even engage in creativity. Yes, Anastasia Kukhta sent her poems from captivity, and Nikita Dranets - drawings based on the TV series "One of Us".

You can read the latest news from ABC-Belarus in our Telegram channel and other social networks.

original article (Most of the ABC Belarus site is available in English, though not this piece yet.)

Mykola Dziadok wikipedia page

some of Mykola Dziadok's writings at the Anarchist Library

Viasna human rights centre

And from Russia too:
Also, there is some support stuff being organised for the guy who just got a 6-month sentence for walking slowly at a JSO thing, don't think any of it's public yet though:

Confirmation that the JSO activist mentioned above is currently out on bail:
Doc with details of current JSO and Palestine Action prisoners:

Wonder where else is doing them? I would assume there must be a Bristol one at least, maybe Brighton as well, but can't see anything.

News from ABC Belarus on anarchist political prisoners, December 2023:

At the end of December it became known that Ihar Alinevich was once again in the punitive isolation cel. The reason and the number of days spent therre are unknown.

The dictator’s henchmen try to isolate political prisoners, but they can’t silence their books. In early December, Ihar Alinevicht’s book «On The Way To Magadan» was published in Ukrainian. The book costs 200 hryvnias and the income from sales will go to support anarchists in prisons and at the front.

BTW, On the way to Magadan is available in different languages from ABC Belarus's merch page and at Black Mosquito (based in Germany).

Telegram channel “Right to Revolt” published the last word of Dzmitry Dubouski,* spoken by him in the court of Zavodskiy district of Minsk on November 24, 2022. Then Dzmitry was tried for the events of 2010 under two articles of the Criminal Code: part 2 of article 339 (hooliganism committed repeatedly or by a group of persons) and part 2 of article 218 (willful destruction or destruction or damage to other people’s property). The anarchist did not admit his guilt and confirmed his participation in only one episode – the attack on the police checkpoint in Salihorsk.

Dmitry Dubovsky to the court: "I remain inwardly free and faithful to my anarchist convictions"

*The linked article is in Russian; translated text spoilered below.

The verdict was announced by Judge Oleg Kalyada, who sentenced Dubovsky to 5 years in prison, and taking into account the unserved sentence in the case of "anarcho-partisans" in 18 years in a colony by partial addition, Dmitry was finally sentenced to 20 years of imprisonment in a reinforced regime.

"I will not comment in detail on the episodes imputed to me. I believe that during the court hearing and the preliminary investigation, my guilt in all episodes has not been proven. All the testimonies given against me by other defendants in the case are false and do not correspond to reality.

And yet, taking advantage of the opportunity and the right to this last word, I will say a little about this trial, which I described at the very beginning as a senseless and hypocritical procedure, and also expressed my desire to refuse to participate in the trial, since I had no illusions that my innocence would be considered here. There is an explanation for this.

In the current realities of the Belarusian state, it is pointless to hope and expect a fair trial. It is pointless to explain and prove something to the court, which is politically and legally dependent on the current and at the same time despised and rejected by society. The same government that, in its attempts to dominate a little more, relies on the apparatus of punishment (I mean courts, prisons, law enforcement agencies and other systems of violence), demanding from the same courts show "trials" and guilty verdicts.

This is not at all due to the so-called "inevitability of punishment", but primarily to political repressions, the goals of which are attempts to intimidate people, exhaust their nerves, intimidate them physically, and thereby stop attempts at popular resistance and the struggle of citizens for their rights. This government is simply afraid of its citizens and just retribution from them.

Therefore, we can safely assert that the court, regardless of guilt and evidence, will convict me, not for the sake and not in the name of justice, which does not exist in this country at all, but only in order to please and satisfy the coveted nature of his master, Tsar Lukashenko, who does not stop at any measures to retain and strengthen state power.

If we talk about the hypocrisy of the trial, then it lies in the fact that this trial took place twelve years later, taking into account the fact that on May 27, 2011, the same court of the Zavodski district of Minsk had already imprisoned three anarchists, accusing them of a number of episodes from this newly considered case.

The anarchists who were accused were punished and spent a considerable part of their lives in prison. It would seem that this should have been enough to put an end to this matter and not return to it again. The hypocrisy of the court is also added by the fact that according to the verdict of the Minsk Regional Court, which also serves and works in the interests of the regime, I was sentenced to a long term of 18 years in prison. However, there is no need to focus on this, because within the walls of the so-called house of justice, there are hardly any judges who are able to listen to common sense and show prudence. After all, the interests of the owners, i.e. the authorities, are above all for you.

Despite all this surrealism, coupled with the difficulties and pressures inside the so-called correctional institutions, I still remain inwardly free and faithful to my anarchist convictions, the fundamental for me are: truth, conscience, justice! And in my actions, I have always been guided exclusively by these principles. But this is something that can never be understood or taken away by the champions of the law in an unjust system, which is the prosecution and every court in this state. Whatever your verdict, I am calm and happy to be justified by that part of society with which we are united in the desire to be free, to transform and to try to organize the life of society on a truly just basis, rather than the way it is organized and looks now.

I am also glad and proud that I became a participant in the grandiose events that will certainly go down in the history of the country as the greatest procession for Free Belarus!

I hope that these (considered in the courtroom actions of anarchists, one of which I was indeed a participant and I admit it), as well as many other anarchist actions of direct action, have become or will become harbingers and beacons of hope for someone, an incentive and a call to join and participate in the fight against the criminal regime. After all, the revolution is not over yet and the struggle continues!

I, like many other anarchists, wanted to draw attention to the social, economic and many other problems and ills in the country in which I was born and lived. I felt that the way to fight the authoritarian system would be the right one, and much more honest and noble, at least for myself, than any pretence, submission, and indifference to everything that was happening.

In the struggle, we will find our right! The truth is ours! The whole nightmare is too ridiculous to last. Belarus will be free, and we will be free!"

24/11/2022

Very brave indeed to have been so honest in such repressive and cruel circumstances.

Fast forward to December 20, 2023: The Telegram channel of Mykola Dziadok support published a message (in Belarusian), saying that the channel was recognised by the Belarusian authorities as extremist. It would be very unusual not to be, but they caution people there to take care.

Dear friends! Unfortunately, our Telegram channel was recognized as extremist.

If you are subscribed to us from Belarus, please take care of your safety.

We, at that time, continue to write about Mykola and support him.

Mailing address:
230023, Grodno, str. Kirova 1, Prison #1
Grandfather Nikolai Alexandrovich

News on anarchist political prisoners in Belarus, December 2023 – Anarchist Black Cross Belarus

Also, might as well plug this book here:

The official story is that the United States has no political prisoners. The reality is that there are hundreds of people rounded up, placed behind bars, and kept there for inordinately long sentences because of their political beliefs and activities. A project of abolitionist Josh Davidson and political prisoner Eric King, this book is filled with the experience and wisdom of over thirty current and former North American political prisoners. It provides first-hand details of prison life and the political commitments that continue to lead prisoners into direct confrontation with state authorities and institutions. The people Josh Davidson has interviewed include former radicals and Black liberation militants from the sixties and seventies, current antifascists, nonviolent Catholic peace activists, Animal and Earth Liberation Front saboteurs, and more. Their stories are moving, often tragic, yet deeply inspiring.

Collectively, these people have spent hundreds of years behind bars, and their experiences speak directly to the cruelty and immorality of our prison and so-called criminal justice systems. Although their sentences and the conditions they have endured vary dramatically, this wide range of voices come together to embody what bell hooks called “a legacy of defiance.” It is this legacy—of tirelessly struggling to right today’s wrongs and create a better tomorrow—that the prison system tries, yet fails, to extinguish.

Royalties from book sales are split between the Anarchist Black Cross Federation’s Warchest, which provides financial support to currently imprisoned political prisoners, and the family of political prisoner Eric King.

From Brighton ABC:
In the face of escalated attacks against workers, young people, migrants and the living conditions of prisoners, we call for an encounter to learn how we can combine our struggle and understand how to advance our fight for a world without police, prisons and borders.

In the UK as elsewhere, murderous police kill with impunity whilst politicians make way for a vast prison building program that will affect the poorest and most marginalised parts of society. Anarchists, activists and environmentalists are targetted as "extremists" and "terrorists" with special police teams designed to infiltrate and dismantle their campaigns and organisations.

Our communities are increasingly turned into open prisons, "a prison society", through new technologies of social control. It's time to stop wringing our hands and instead get organised. What do we have in common and can we build a common platform of action and discussion that helps us build a better world.

The event will take place over a weekend of Friday March 29th to Sunday 31st, 2024. If you wish to participate contact ABC Brighton at brightonabc@riseup.net
--

Subjects to be covered include:
Operation Adream
Kill The Bill (Bristol) cases
Police Brutality
Deaths in Custody
Migration Detention
Work of IWOC
Participating Group Presentations
Text / Recordings from Prisoners
We also hope to have a set-up to allow virtual contributions too.

Anarchist Black Cross Belarus have put out a review of the persecution of anarchists and anti-fascists in 2023.

Each year we summarize repressions against anarchists and antifascists in Belarus and try to point out general trends in state violence. To continue the struggle for freedom, we should know what tools our enemies use and should understand the conditions of your comrades. To do so, we suggest reading our 2023 review.

There's been some positive news despite continuing repressions and ill-treatment of comrades. I'm not able to summarise unfortunately, but it isn't a long read.

Review of the persecution of anarchists and anti-fascists in 2023 – Anarchist Black Cross Belarus

Btw, a political prisoner in Belarus, Anastasia Kukhta, created a series of illustrated "snapshots" of her life since being jailed. ABC Belarus have created an artbook using her designs.

Fundraiser compilation for defendants in the Tyumen case against Siberian antifascists, all the music featured here has one of the defendants playing on it:

Donny demo:

A Palestine Actionist has been in prison since dismantling the Teledyne factory in Shipley back at the beginning of April having been refused bail.

Through their action, they halted the production of components for Israel’s missiles and fighter jets.

Let’s show them they are not alone! Bring drums and pans so we can make some noise.

Mobilise on Sunday 26th May from 1-3PM outside HMP Doncaster, Marsh Gate, DN5 8UX

Summer is nearly over and we continue to support a lot of people in prison and their friends and family. Please see our chart below for our spending from December 23 – July 24. Even though there are less people inside now, our monthly costs are still high and we need to keep up with fundraising to continue the support.

We are at our lowest point in funds right now and need your support!

We continue to pay for the cost of friends and family to visit people inside, as well as continuing our monthly payments to seven KTB prisoners and a number of other anarchist prisoners that we support. We regularly send clothes and CD’s to people and also pay for birthday presents for people inside.

We also chose to pay an £800 fine after one prisoner set fire to his cell during a moment of emotional distress after a close family member passed away and the prison denied him permission to go to the funeral. Despite being raised by this family member for many years of his life. To punish him further the prison said they would only let him have £5 a week for canteen until the cost of the damages were paid for, and this made a difficult situation even harder. We decided to support him so that his time in prison can be less distressing in these months of loss and grief.

The result of this is that in order to continue supporting people in this way we will need more donations. We really appreciate everyone that has donated or helped fundraise so far, particularly when we know many people are struggling financially and that that are many people in need around the world.

We will keep working for a world beyond prisons and state violence and support folks with solidarity as our main weapon. Thank you for your ongoing support!

Bristol ABC
1723646411309.jpeg

It's International Week of Solidarity with Anarchist Prisoners.

23 - 30 August

ABC Belarus suggest ways to support jailed anarchists & antifascists in Belarus.

Non-twitter link to thread: https://nitter.poast.org/abcbelarus/status/1827245485301571929

List of anarchist and antifash prisoners in Belarus: https://abc-belarus.org/en/prisoners/

Anarchist Black Cross groups around the world: https://solidarity.international/index.php/abc-groups-around-the-world/

Noone is free till all are free!

International Week of Solidarity with Anarchist Prisoners

Suppose this may as well go here:

Good initiative coming up in Birmingham:
1724789941353.png
There are currently sixteen Palestine Action political prisoners, detained for trying to stop a genocide.

Join a postcard writing session to them on Sunday 1st September from 3.30PM at Unite offices, Birmingham.

Alternatively, you can arrange your own letter writing event in your area. To find out how to send postcards in yourself, email us at info@palestineaction.org

You can also write to the prisoners at palactprisoners@protonmail.com

Also still a call for people to show up to court in Bradford from September 2nd-13th.

General round-up of Russian anarchist prisoner news:
Freedom also just interviewed Moscow ABC:
And a slightly odd story where Ruslan Siddiqui, an anarchist currently in prison for sabotaging the war effort, has had to clarify that, contrary to what Russian state media have been claiming, he has not been expressing an interest in joining the Russian army:

Actually some better news from the shit of what's happening in Belarus.

37 more political prisoners have been pardoned.

37 more political prisoners pardoned in Belarus. Who are they?

But let's not forget the ones who remain.

Maria Kalesnikava, for example, is still incommunicado four years on from her arrest. Her family, friends and former colleagues are very concerned for her well-being. Her sister has managed to get some information from sources including former inmates, and it's not good.

Kalesnikava's weight has dropped to just 45 kg, although she is 175 cm tall, as a perforated stomach ulcer means she cannot tolerate most prison food, Khomich said. She was last allowed to write to her family in February last year. Letters she has been sent from the outside world have been torn up in front of her by prison staff, Khomich has been told.

source: Sister of Belarus protest leader Maryia Kalesnikava says she's starving in prison

More at AFP on Yahoo, archived

List of Political Prisoners in Belarus: Political prisoners in Belarus

Back
Top Bottom