Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Solidarity with Amazon Workers?

I'm not suggesting a consumer boycott, I'm suggesting we as a community decide whether we want to see Urban continue to be used as free advertising for Amazon.

Given there's a "share on Facebook" link at the bottom of every page, I think it would be a bit silly to add a set of rules about linking to Amazon - how about people making up their own minds?

Given there's a "share on Facebook" link at the bottom of every page, I think it would be a bit silly to add a set of rules about linking to Amazon - how about people making up their own minds?
Again, I'm not talking about adding a set of rules, though if you or anyone else thinks removing the "share to Facebook" link is a good idea, that could be part of any discussion.

Obviously people can make up their own minds, but you seem dead set against the fact that I'm suggesting we even discuss it.

Again, I'm not talking about adding a set of rules, though if you or anyone else thinks removing the "share to Facebook" link is a good idea, that could be part of any discussion.

Obviously people can make up their own minds, but you seem dead set against the fact that I'm suggesting we even discuss it.

I thought we were discussing it? The thread is about solidarity with Amazon workers, I don't see how your proposal contributes to that, unless it's something that the workers have asked for or would appreciate?

By the way, not direct Amazon employees, but there's a dispute ongoing at the Amazon warehouse building site in Gateshead - there was a wildcat action last week over deskilling, then a mass sacking of workers who'd taken part in the action, and now there's a picket on for their reinstatement:

It probably would generate some support if it was something the workers actually asked for, rather than being something middle-class people did to wash their hands of Amazon.

e.g.

“Supporters and labor advocates have cautioned blindly promoting the boycott, as it might hurt unionization efforts and obscure the actual needs of the worker-led movement.”

"I understand the urge to support these workers, and they certainly need all the solidarity they can get right now during this stressful and contentious election period. Listening to them about what they actually need is paramount," tweeted labor writer Kim Kelly. "Amplify @BAmazonUnion, and follow their lead."

C. M. Lewis, an editor at labor publication Strikewave, tweeted, "RWDSU could legally call for a consumer boycott on Amazon since only secondary boycotts—not direct boycotts—are illegal. they are not doing so. defer to their judgment."

If boycotts aren’t co-ordinated with strikes, or otherwise timed for when workers actually request them, then their effect, if any, is only going to be to reduce the number of jobs available rather than lead to any actual improvement in conditions.

It probably would generate some support if it was something the workers actually asked for, rather than being something middle-class people did to wash their hands of Amazon.

e.g.

“Supporters and labor advocates have cautioned blindly promoting the boycott, as it might hurt unionization efforts and obscure the actual needs of the worker-led movement.”

"I understand the urge to support these workers, and they certainly need all the solidarity they can get right now during this stressful and contentious election period. Listening to them about what they actually need is paramount," tweeted labor writer Kim Kelly. "Amplify @BAmazonUnion, and follow their lead."

C. M. Lewis, an editor at labor publication Strikewave, tweeted, "RWDSU could legally call for a consumer boycott on Amazon since only secondary boycotts—not direct boycotts—are illegal. they are not doing so. defer to their judgment."

If boycotts aren’t co-ordinated with strikes, or otherwise timed for when workers actually request them, then their effect, if any, is only going to be to reduce the number of jobs available rather than lead to any actual improvement in conditions.
I agree with your point about liaising with Amazon workers. It's one of the weaknesses of consumer boycotts, that they don't link up with workplace groups and unions. But equally, I've stopped buying off Amazon because they are cunts and I don't want to put money in their pockets. It's just a personal choice. The logic of 'keep buying, but hope to influence them' is itself problematic. Ultimately it's got to be about getting workers organised and confident enough to fight back. In the absence of that, consumer boycotts are neither here nor there.

While I definitely lean towards coordinating with the workers regarding Amazon, I do have my reasons for avoiding it entirely, albeit entirely selfish ones.

One of them is that due to the way Amazon works, in which both fake and genuine products are mixed up in inventory, meaning that you could go right to the official manufacturer's Amazon store page and buy their products right there, and you would still have a good chance of being shipped a fake product. I want genuine products, not fake shit cooked up by some criminal scumcunt, so I'm willing to shop around elsewhere, even if means paying more.

Also, the range of products available on Amazon is really shit. It's either cheap disposable rubbish that's a false economy in the long run (a la Vimes' boots), or its good quality stuff that can (and should, considering the above link) be found elsewhere.

I got a better-paying job a couple of years ago, and ever since then I have been so fucking done with buying cheap shit that breaks in no time, that gets replaced with more cheap shit that all eventually ends up in some landfill. The only problem is that it's made online shopping a bit more difficult, having to sift through mountains of cheap crap (or worse, cheap crap that's overpriced!) in order to find the few places left that actually sell decent stuff any more. While this is genuinely irritating, it's a price worth paying.

Local press coverage:

I have a vague recollection that ex-poster marty1 was based somewhere in the NE.

I wonder if he's involved in any of this current stuff
Tbf, this is technically not "Amazon workers" as such as much as "workers employed by a contractor that's been hired by Amazon for this specific project". But thought it might as well go here anyway.

Strike Map have a Polish Amazon truck driver/Workers' Initiative member speaking at their next book club event:

Strike Map have a Polish Amazon truck driver/Workers' Initiative member speaking at their next book club event:

wow, looking at the time/date, England getting through to the semi finals kind of fucks this event, huh?

Well not until July 20th and he'll be back after about 10 mins. Apparently the Bearded Wonder is going to pip him in the race to space and will do his bit of willy waving 9 days earlier.

GMB say they're gonna be doing something, doesn't seem to be any details yet though. Website is here:

Amazon owns over 40 companies - including Audible, Diapers.com, Goodreads, IMBd, Kiva Systems (now Amazon Robotics), Shopbop, Twitch, Teachtreat, Wholefoods Market and Zappos.

There is some connection between Amazon Prime and Netflix (it being possible to watch Netflix with Prime), but I don't think Amazon actually owns Netflix.
A belated reply on this: only just noticed that Audible are an Amazon owned company. I've been listening to audiobooks on youtube and was about to start buying them off Audible when I twigged. Before I even thought about buying them I noticed I was getting a lot of Audible adverts. Anyway, just a mundane example of how data harvesting and corporate power guide you towards securing their further profits - and the lack of choice that neoliberalism actually offers.

Anyway, fuck Amazon.

A belated reply on this: only just noticed that Audible are an Amazon owned company. I've been listening to audiobooks on youtube and was about to start buying them off Audible when I twigged. Before I even thought about buying them I noticed I was getting a lot of Audible adverts. Anyway, just a mundane example of how data harvesting and corporate power guide you towards securing their further profits - and the lack of choice that neoliberalism actually offers.

Anyway, fuck Amazon.
also own ABE books, the second hand seller. Also own The Book Depository which sells 2nd hand books on ABE
and Twitch and Bebo
and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
and Wholefoods
and loads of other stuff

Back
Top Bottom