Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Premiership restart June 2020 - where the games are being televised

I'm torn between Norwich-Everton on BBC1 and Man Utd-Sheff Utd on Pick tomorrow. I'll probably go for the latter.

I switched from Old Trafford to Carrow Road at half time, and it was a good decision. Everton looked quite tidy, against an admittedly blunt Norwich. I respect Ancelotti a lot for taking that role with his CV.

I was surprised Palace didn't introduce Townsend earlier today, as it was fairly obvious they weren't getting any spark from Zaha.

I think the commentators are talking quieter than they would do with full stadia, as there were times where I couldn't hear Efan Ekoku and the other bloke over the artificial noise.

Not a great day. I thought Rienewald was poor. Goalie had a stinker, and Sakho for the last goal. 🤢

Yes, I was stunned Iheanacho scored, because as the ball came in, from Chilwell I think, it looked like it was the keeper's ball all the way.

Not quite sure where to put this but have Sheff Utd. lost players this season? They were playing really well for a while last year (just lost to West Ham).

Have they totally ripped up the rule book about 3pm Saturday screenings? I thought that was reserved for the Cup final, but it now seems to feature on one of the channels every week, where no games take place concurrently.

Is it just whilst fans are kept out of grounds?

Last edited:
Have they totally ripped up the rule book about 3pm Saturday screenings? I thought that was reserved for the Cup final, but it now seems to feature on one of the channels every week, where no games take place concurrently.

Is it just whilst fans are kept out of ground?
Yes.

This is madness imo.

I think it 'could' be good/helpful for non-league or lower league clubs (although still risky in terms of infection) but this thread is about the 'PL Restart' so been having a thing plus reading / listening to some opinions from pundits and fan groups.

A few points...

The first PL clubs knew about this was what the government leaked to the media (Mail etc. As usual) so there was no consultation as far as I know.

PL clubs are located in different tiers. So does that mean Chelsea can have 4k fans for a home game but Manchester United can't (just an example FYI)? Will away fans be allocated a % of the tickets or will games now be played with just a smattering of home fans? Assume that if the home side is in a restricted tier then no fans are allowed in at all. So some teams get a small quiet cheer from a 60-90% empty stadium but another club plays in an empty stadium.

How are the 4,000 tickets allocated? That takes time and money to organise and is not a nice thing to do. A raffle? Or reward for loyal fans that went to more away games (are wealthier?) than others?

Sitting in a 30/40/50/50k capacity stadium with fans spread out on a cold night is not much fun imo. Some of the footy journalists I follow have said that being spaced out and sitting alone in big stadiums is less enjoyable than watching on television. Will we still get fake crowds piped in to 'prop up' the atmosphere?

How will fans be travelling to the game? Nice to have a beer with the footy so public transport for a lot of fans most likely. It is not a massive amount of people but will create busier trains, teams and buses which is a headache. Maybe they have staggered entry timed tickets (more cost and organisation) so some arrive early and other nearer kick off? If some people arrive early then assume they will want drinks, food and toilets. How do the towns/clubs maintain social distancing here? Hopefully the local police have the resources to make sure masks are worn?

Same question for catering/toilets in the grounds. Despite the fact there are less people the stadiums need to enable social distancing. It is expensive to organise and staff this.

Fans want to get back in grounds and watch live football but this just feels like another token gesture from a disgraced government.

The PL is wealthy but financially fragile. Maybe that is their own fault but like any business they have to balance of this is an expensive, first step 'change of direction' for the greater good :hmm: or just a waste of time and money for them? Plus a risk to their local communities?

Anyone watch West Brom-Fulham on the Beeb today? I thought it was an excellent game, which Fulham should've totally put out of sight in the first half. Allardyce must've going fucking apoplectic at half time.

Loftus-Cheek needs to get the hell out of his Chelsea contract. He's too good to be still going out on loan at 25.

Back
Top Bottom