Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Places of interest around bristol.

FruitandNut said:
For the cricket buffs, there is a hole in a window in the church on Frenchay Common that W.G. Grace is supposed to have made while smashing a 6.

There's also a plaque outside Easton Leisure Centre - I can't remember what it says, but in addition to being a cricketing legend, he also administered first aid to the victims of the Easton Pit Disaster in 1886.

I think he used to practice at the Old England as well.

Blaise Castle estate is always pretty good fun. You can go for walks in the woods down to the old watermill. There's a big open space to play games, eat ice creams etc. Then there's the actual Blaise Castle which is a bit boring but the walk up there is pretty cool. Oh yeah, and there's a small museum at the Blaise house which is reasonably interesting if you're into that kind of thing.

Blaise Castle estate was always a good bet on a sunny day to take the kids for a picnic. I remember many moons ago, my kid sis (now 46) running up to me and saying a "naughty man" had flashed at her from the bushes. :eek:

Has no one said Ashton Court? :eek: I love walking around there.
Further out though, you could come and see me (and all the other freaks) and soak up the cosmic vibes in Glastonbury.
I also like Stanton Drew stone circle.

I found out the other day that slave trade abolitionist Thomas Clarkson did some of his important research into the trade in the seven stars next to the fleece (and firkin).

Also the church opposite the Fleece that you wouldn't normally notice cos it's always closed, is open on wednesday late lunchtime/early afternoon. Well worth going round, seems to be a perfectly preserved american/georgian (wesleyan?), can't remember the exact name, church, built inside an older (late?) medieval church with some crazy old stuff in the entrances.

Not a top location for a full day out normally, but worth checking out if you're in the area at the time.

What about Make Your Mark up in Clifton, just a bit further up along Whiteladies Road? It's like a cafe where you can you can paint your own pottery stuff like mugs/plates etc. There isn't an actual website for it (lol, if you google it and get makeyourmark.org or whatever, it's something totally different) but it's on Venue's online directory if you search for it.

I just took 4 kids under 8 arond Bristol and I have to say it's just the bestest and most fantastic place I ever took kids.

I thunked of Bristow as a great big drinking and sex sort of place, with a bit of fighting and some food, from my single days.

I'm really bowled over by how great it is in the daylight and how friendly the people are (considering how hung over they must be andthe stress of waiting for the coppers).

Little Chainsaw Kittens and the Cousins from Hell liked all of it, the ferry boats probably best of all (excluding the hideously expensive orange cake at the SS GB which was frankly worth the trip itself)

Ta Bristol, still my fave away city despite getting old and boring. (me not you)

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to where I was standing when I took this photo ?

intothedistance.jpg

or avonmouth somewhere more likely actually. you wouldnt get that view from henbury i dont think

a slightly more important station than that .. well line, anyway ... and what's that in the distance ? ;)

It wasn't too difficult to work it out; entirely coincidentally, I've been studying google maps of the area this afternoon. :)
It's well worth joining the BCC - they organise some decent trips out and about with knowledgeable types to point out key things :)

We almost got into a brawl on the way along the A403 though. :eek:

http://www.bristolcyclingcampaign.org.uk/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bristolcyclingcampaign/

We need members - may be a bit of a protest on the way re. the "cycle houses" ...

i should really have worked it out a lot sooner considering i lived about 2 miles from where the picture was taken for 13 years :rolleyes:

It's well worth joining the BCC - they organise some decent trips out and about with knowledgeable types to point out key things :)

We almost got into a brawl on the way along the A403 though. :eek:

http://www.bristolcyclingcampaign.org.uk/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bristolcyclingcampaign/

We need members - may be a bit of a protest on the way re. the "cycle houses" ...

I get their email newsletters, but I don't ride with them.

My map studying today is for a 30 miler up that way though.

-Or a 15 miler, if we decide to get the train back... :D:oops:

I get their email newsletters, but I don't ride with them.

My map studying today is for a 30 miler up that way though.

-Or a 15 miler, if we decide to get the train back... :D:oops:

Yesterday's was 45 miles for me - I was only up half the night with cramps this time. ;)

I wouldn't bother trying to get a train from Pilning station though - only one train to Cardiff at 08.30 on a Saturday and one train on the way back at 15.30 or something like that. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bother trying to get a train from Pilning station though - only one train to Cardiff at 08.30 on a Saturday and one train on the way back at 15.30 or something like that. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I had absolutely no plans to wait for a train at Pilning. :D

Back
Top Bottom