Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pink Floyd. Why?

butchersapron

Bring back hanging
I tried, i spent 90 minutes trying. Why? What is is that makes something so banal so popular? Is it the smug satisfaction in knowing that the straights (multi-million sellers here) just don't get it? Do you actually really think the pompous private school constructions of society that they offer say anything about how we live our lifes and how we interact with others?

Which albums were you trying out of interest?

I'm not much good at talking about music, and certainly not at trying to justify it on a class basis or something. And I have to go to bed. But I feel like trying anyway, so here is a first attempt which I will gladly expand upon tomorrow evening if you find anything worth arguing about or blowing to pieces, rather than just being left with a feeling of 'so fucking what?' once you have read this waffle.

They had many different phases so I'll need to break it down, in approximate but not perfect order:

Start with stuff that speaks of a certain phase of being young, augmented with artistic pretensions, the mad art mind, and then certain drugs. Not an experience everyone goes through by any means, but arguably more people as time went on, certainly not limited only to the private schoolboys.

Moving on to something spacey at a time when space exploration & space rock was not banal, eg the actual moon landings which again did not require latin or a degree to capture the imagination.

Then a fair bit more guilt, angst, regret and the beginnings of mid-life crisis and navel-gazing. Maybe speaks to some peoples souls only in the cheesiest and most banal use of the word soul, but still something to some people that is greater than the sum of its cheese.

Then a far greater amount of direct political anger and disgust. Albeit rather narrow and self-indulgent at times, eg in places more likely to directly speak to those of a certain generation who may have lost their daddy in the war, but still reaching out beyond that in places.

That stuff eventually pushed too much and too woefully, and with too much megalomania, at the expense of the overall music in the end, leading to the fracturing of the group. And then stuff that I mostly havent bothered listening to because I assumed it was mostly Gilmore middle-of-the-road-mongous in the end, with perhaps a few exceptions.

There is plenty in all of these phases worth sneering at, but that doesnt make it totally worthless or irrelevant. It might be to you, which is fine. But I am curious as to why you even tried given that I bet you know its got multiple ingredients you are likely to be allergic to which can easily blot out any of the aspects which may have otherwise stood at least the tiniest chance of otherwise resonating very faintly with you.

Personally as I've never found enough music with politics in it to quench my thirst, I am prepared to tolerate the cheesy guitar aspects of Roger Waters solo stuff and some of Pink Floyds songs in order to enjoy singing about the bravery of being out of range etc.

Have you heard the Flaming Lips version of Dark Side of the Moon? I listened to that the first time last week and it was refreshingly creative and different.

I actually prefer their earlier stuff like Saucerful of Secrets

I tried, i spent 90 minutes trying. Why? What is is that makes something so banal so popular? Is it the smug satisfaction in knowing that the straights (multi-million sellers here) just don't get it? Do you actually really think the pompous private school constructions of society that they offer say anything about how we live our lifes and how we interact with others?

We've established one thing for sure: they aren't saying anything to you.

But: that's not the test.

Have you heard the Flaming Lips version of Dark Side of the Moon? I listened to that the first time last week and it was refreshingly creative and different.
Really? I thought it was even worse than the original. Tedious wankery, and the stupid one they (the Flaming Lips) released this year is crap too.

Ummagumma was my personal favorite, and I think their best work happened at or before Obscured By Clouds. Dark Side obviously had huge appeal, but there's something almost a bit too polished, too overproduced about it. Dark Side was like the beginning of the end of an era.

People above said lots of high brow stuff about meaning n shit.

I just like the musical sounds their instruments made. The lyrics to 'Wish you were here' are quite nice too.

I find it quite amusing how some people base their musical tastes on on what people sing about, rather than the actual music.

Ummagumma was my personal favorite, and I think their best work happened at or before Obscured By Clouds. Dark Side obviously had huge appeal, but there's something almost a bit too polished, too overproduced about it. Dark Side was like the beginning of the end of an era.

I agree - I've got a massive bootleg collection of all their stuff but by far the most insteresting and experimental was all the pre-Dark Side stuff. After that most of their concerts were pretty interchangeable. I've always loved them.
As for the OP - I wasn't aware that their educational background defined their lyrics or fanbase? (If you'd said "Genesis" than perhaps you've got a point) Some music is just good to trip out to and shouldn't be over-analysed.
"Animals" for example is just a more coherent version of punk nihilism (with better tunes and musicianship) - but, hey, each to their own. :)

You're doing this all wrong. You should have done this back in the 80's when you discovered pot and coincidentally realised that girls weren't really that hot on your B.O. or the Linda Lusardi posters on your wall.

The feeling of ecstasy of laying back on your crusty sheets with a spliff of red leb in one hand and your cock in the other whilst listening to a saucer-full of secrets is not available to you now. You should have done it when you were young and long before you realised they were just some posh cunts having a bubble.

This one's for you butch ;)

I like alot of it up to Dark side....which I just find dull and bloated. Then I liked the wall, and oddly, I quite liked Final Cut.

I especially like More, Obscured by Clouds and Meddle....but I haven't really listened to any Floyd at length since about 1989.....but I am going to see The Wall next year just to give in to my inner teen misery.

You're doing this all wrong. You should have done this back in the 80's when you discovered pot and coincidentally realised that girls weren't really that hot on your B.O. or the Linda Lusardi posters on your wall.

The feeling of ecstasy of laying back on your crusty sheets with a spliff of red leb in one hand and your cock in the other whilst listening to a saucer-full of secrets is not available to you now. You should have done it when you were young and long before you realised they were just some posh cunts having a bubble.

This one's for you butch ;)

Only one part of this seems a bit far-fetched: the idea of masturbating while listening to Saucerful of Secrets.

You should have recommended Be Careful With That Axe Eugene to him instead.

Back
Top Bottom