Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peppered mackerel fillets and heating thereof

Well, I'm not saying I don't love a spud but I'm also trying to streamline my portions, and thusly myself. Balance :thumbs:

Balance is about having a pound of oily fish (=healthy) + a pound of steamed spuds (=healthy) + a pound of butter (=not so healthy). The result? A perfectly balance diet! Trust me, I'm a doctor. :D

It is true that spuds without butter are a crime against nature. ;)

Balance is about having a pound of oily fish (=healthy) + a pound of steamed spuds (=healthy) + a pound of butter (=not so healthy). The result? A perfectly balance diet! Trust me, I'm a doctor. :D

It is true that spuds without butter are a crime against nature. ;)

Greebo and I hit on a slightly-more-healthy version, and generally stick a desertspoon of EV olive oil over the spuds, then give the saucepan (lidded!) a shake to spread the oil around. Works well for minting them, too!

I like to mash up the peppered mackers with a fork, and mix with a tub of Philadelphia soft cheese, couple of teaspoons of horseradish sauce, and a good dash of lemon juice - makes an amazing mackerel pate.
That sounds lush :)

Mackerel pate is ace and so easy to make.

Had a pack of mackerel in the freezer and made fishcakes with them last night...completely forgot about my gooseberry plans.:rolleyes:

Fry them so the skin goes a bit crispy.

Serve with either baked beans or... mashed swede/neeps. they're the sort of ham/bacon of the fish world and probably match well with anything that would partner those.

Back
Top Bottom