Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Advice re landlord/[property manager and heating.

I think people are just very concerned that by being overly cautious about wanting to avoid confrontation, you're going to get landed with a massive bill that you're unable to pay, you're possibly going to get into a lot of debt, potentially end up with debt collectors coming after you and a CCJ to your name.

If you're worried about being evicted because it's cheap and you're worried you won't be able to find somewhere else to rent, it would even harder if you have a bad credit record because you've ended up with a CCJ because your landlord has shafted you.

Your landlord is taking the piss and taking advantage of the fact that you're wanting to avoid confrontation and you're scared of him. At this rate, you're going to end up with a massive bill and you're probably going to be unlikely to get your neighbour's full contributions towards it.

Try contacting the local council and asking for the HMO licensing department. Explain the situation to them about the landlords comings and goings. Ask if any part of the property is registered as an HMO. Because the landlord gaining entry willy nilly sounds like he's treating it like an HMO. Also mention that the boiler controls are blocked off and you understand that's unlawful and ask if they can do anything about that.

I think people are just very concerned that by being overly cautious about wanting to avoid confrontation, you're going to get landed with a massive bill that you're unable to pay, you're possibly going to get into a lot of debt, potentially end up with debt collectors coming after you and a CCJ to your name.

If you're worried about being evicted because it's cheap and you're worried you won't be able to find somewhere else to rent, it would even harder if you have a bad credit record because you've ended up with a CCJ because your landlord has shafted you.

Your landlord is taking the piss and taking advantage of the fact that you're wanting to avoid confrontation and you're scared of him. At this rate, you're going to end up with a massive bill and you're probably going to be unlikely to get your neighbour's full contributions towards it.

Try contacting the local council and asking for the HMO licensing department. Explain the situation to them about the landlords comings and goings. Ask if any part of the property is registered as an HMO. Because the landlord gaining entry willy nilly sounds like he's treating it like an HMO. Also mention that the boiler controls are blocked off and you understand that's unlawful and ask if they can do anything about that.
Thank you for your thoughts.

You can check if if the HMO is registered here:

I suspect it will be.

Can you access the gas meter as you should take records of the usage and also if you can measure the usage over a day when hes set the temperature vs a day when you've set it you'll be able to calculate the difference in cost.
I'm not sure what would happen if you told the utility billing company that you're moving out(even though you're not) as they'd then need someone else's name for the bill.

What about getting some dehumidifiers? They’re cheap to run and will remove the moisture from the air too so help to keep things dry? Would the landlord maybe agree to covering the costs of that / reimbursing you?

You can check if if the HMO is registered here:

I suspect it will be.

I can't find my road listed at all on there and I know there is at least 1 other HMO on this road.

Back
Top Bottom