Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peppered mackerel fillets and heating thereof

5t3IIa

You know those peppered mackerel fillets you get three of, shrink wrapped in plastic? I love them. I used to get one out and zap it for 25 seconds in the microwave but now I don't have a microwave. I understand a package of three could be a boil-in-the-bag type deal but how can I heat just one?

Thanks!

Steaming takes about 15 minutes(which is how long it takes the rice(in the pan) to cook). It's the only way I ever heat peppered mackerel.

If you're not cooking rice it may take less than 15 minutes.

I'd go for doing them in the oven.

But on principle I'd get smoked mackerel and put my own pepper on. Or do them with tomatoes and pepper (both kinds) and onion and garlic.

I'd always assume that I'm being ripped off with a "convenience" thing... am I in fact?

Thank you all :) I like them warm, and pre-peppered :thumbs: With 100g of new pots and green beans :thumbs: I'm hungry.
I've used this recipe a few times: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12138/teriyaki-mackerel-with-tangy-cucumber-salad

It's easy and really nice.

cIamq1Q.jpg

I always ate them cold.
Microwaving them?
Who knew? :confused:
ETA is that in the existing packaging?

Naw, I'd just slither one out of the packet, peel off the skin and sling it out of the back door for next door's cats and stick it on a upturned lunchbox lid. Set timer for 20 seconds and hover over it until it started spitting :thumbs:

I hear you.

Let me think about it ...

Steam it I guess?

I'd grill it or even bake it in an oven before steaming, if only because of the smell issue (bitter experience as a young-un showed me to never steam a mackerel fillet, unless I wanted the who place to smell of mackerel for about a fortnight! :( ).

I'm very late to this thread, but I would either steam or grill it for no longer than 4 minutes.

Edit - last time I cooked mackerel, my usually very polite cats - cats you can happily have sitting next to you when eating with no fear that they will interfere - went apeshit and snatched the fish off my plate. My other advice for cooking/eating mackerel would be to make sure that any cats are shut out of the room!

I'm very late to this thread, but I would either steam or grill it for no longer than 4 minutes.

Edit - last time I cooked mackerel, my usually very polite cats - cats you can happily have sitting next to you when eating with no fear that they will interfere - went apeshit and snatched the fish off my plate. My other advice for cooking/eating mackerel would be to make sure that any cats are shut out of the room!

I've fed the odd wandering stray cat smoked mackerel and they seem to like it - must be because it is so full of healthy oils. I didn't give them the peppered version though!

I've fed the odd wandering stray cat smoked mackerel and they seem to like it - must be because it is so full of healthy oils. I didn't give them the peppered version though!
If I was a cat I'd put up with the pepper to get to the smoky firm flesh :cool:

I had cheese and grapes last night but got shopping list for today;

FISH
New pots
Green beans
Foil

Shall wrap one up and bung it in the oven, I think. As a first pass.

Roast potato and beetroot, spinach, mackerel and horseradish dressing is favourite round ours.

I'm yet to try mackerel and gooseberry but will probably give it go tomorrow.

If I was a cat I'd put up with the pepper to get to the smoky firm flesh :cool:

I had cheese and grapes last night but got shopping list for today;

FISH
New pots
Green beans
Foil

Shall wrap one up and bung it in the oven, I think. As a first pass.

How many spuds though? 100g is not enough - it is obligatory to eat a pound of spuds at a time. :)

Back
Top Bottom