Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People who shoot photos with their lens hood on backwards

Cool as Justin Bieber.

BIB2.jpg

Y'see, I purposefully didn't post a pic of Bieber as I didn't want to undermine my otherwise completely valid point. So thanks for shining the harsh glare of the Bieber on that flaw in my argument :(

(This thread appears to be the third result if you Goggle backwards hood :D)

But old Mr. Rockwell's opinion is that no one should ever shoot RAW because RAW is "no good", and it requires "tweaking" and "tweaking" is "bad", apparently. Jared Polin has a whole set of videos where he takes Rockwell's opinions on RAW apart. I have nothing against people shooting JPEG if that's what works for them, but personally, I shoot RAW because of the creative control it gives me.

Rockwell is entitled to his opinion. Often his opinion is spot-on, but in this case he's ignoring 150 years of darkroom manipulation of negs and prints, all of which counts as "tweaking".
I could see his point if he were talking about massively-altering the original image, but he's obviously not, given the use of the word "tweaking".

DSLR sales are plummeting. Most people now use cameraphones
Not surprising, given the growth of smart phones as a social phenomenon.

I don't think it follows, though, that just because a lot of people do something, that that alone makes it a good thing. Most people take in a significant percentage of their daily calories via corn syrup additives in food, and saturated fats.

DSLR sales are plummeting. Most people now use cameraphones
Because "most people" just want "a camera". An enthusiast interested in doing "proper" photography, or a pro, isn't going to purchase a camera phone (for their main work) are they? They're going to purchase a DSLR.

Edit: Or at least a mirrorless.

Last edited:
DSLR sales are plummeting. Most people now use cameraphones <snip>
I still prefer film for the discipline of it. As for smart phones, no thanks.

I prefer keeping my so-cheap-it's-not-worth-nicking PAYG mobile and using a digital compact. Even if it means carrying two lumps of plastic around instead of one.

I still prefer film for the discipline of it. As for smart phones, no thanks.

I prefer keeping my so-cheap-it's-not-worth-nicking PAYG mobile and using a digital compact. Even if it means carrying two lumps of plastic around instead of one.

I'm doing the same having recently resurrected my Leica C-Lux 2 which had been sat on a shelf for over a year whilst my iPhone took all the pictures. It's a far better camera that fits into my jeans pocket with ease and I like using it, but smartphones have made us lazy. So I'm making a concerted effort to reduce photography with the phone and increase it with the camera.

Because "most people" just want "a camera". An enthusiast interested in doing "proper" photography, or a pro, isn't going to purchase a camera phone (for their main work) are they? They're going to purchase a DSLR.

Ugh, someone on my Photography degree handed in camera phone photos as their final, the tutors lapped it up (well the lead tutor did and then overruled the others :facepalm: )

This was 2005 too so camera phones weren't a patch on what they are now.

Some pros doing proper photography get their smartphones on the covers of prestigious international magazines. I've worked as a pro photographer, and I'd have no problem submitting a photo taken on a smartphone if I thought it was good enough.

But I've already done that anyway, and got paid. As photographers say, the best camera in the world is always the one you have on you.

Some pros doing proper photography get their smartphones on the covers of prestigious international magazines. I've worked as a pro photographer, and I'd have no problem submitting a photo taken on a smartphone if I thought it was good enough.

But I've already done that anyway, and got paid. As photographers say, the best camera in the world is always the one you have on you.
Stop messing up Bungle's absolutism with your inconvenient real-life experience and FACTS, editor! :D

Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding camera straps?

I'm worried that people will think I'm an amateur instead of a serious hobbiest

Ugh, someone on my Photography degree handed in camera phone photos as their final <snip>
Lazy!

There was I thinking that a photoraphy degree doesn't just teach you how to work out what makes a decent picture, but also teaches the technicalities of getting it (and turning it into a fixed image) without the camera doing most of the technical side for you. :facepalm:

:D

But how will I be able to tell if someone else is doing it wrong?[/QUOTE]
That's easy; if they are doing something different to what you do then they are wrong. ;)

Lazy!

There was I thinking that a photoraphy degree doesn't just teach you how to work out what makes a decent picture, but also teaches the technicalities of getting it (and turning it into a fixed image) without the camera doing most of the technical side for you. :facepalm:

A lot of photography degrees actually teach you very little about anything technical unless you really push them too, and quite often the lecturers will get the techs to show you as they tend to have a better technical understanding. I did a HND and topped up to a degree, when I joined the degree the top uppers were kind of frowned upon, but when they realised how much I knew about lighting, photoshop and different formats of photography I became golden bollocks.

To put it into perspective, out of 8 people on my HND 4 of us now either work as photographers, or lecture in photography. Out of 30 odd on my degree, 1 does pet portraits and thats it, some of the others are "fine art photographers" which is just a pretentious way of saying "keep it up as a hobby", none of them are selling work.

I've already been through that. The camera isn't being stored, it's being used. Go and watch the video I posted.

The hood is being stored on a camera being used.

The alternative is removing the hood completely whilst the hood is not being used but the camera is.

That's how hoods get lost. If its on the camera then you know where the hood is should you need it. If it's not on the camera it's in a drawer somewhere when you need it because you forgot it or didn't think you'd need it when you did.

Back
Top Bottom