Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People who shoot photos with their lens hood on backwards

Takes us back to the original question: why did you choose to use f2.2?
I didn't. It was the auto setting, and I was happy with its choices. I think the focus is perfect for the scene. I didn't want the newspaper in focus. If I did I would have switched the settings.

Any more pointless nitpicking to come, or is that it for a while?

I didn't. It was the auto setting, and I was happy with its choices. I think the focus is perfect for the scene. I didn't want the newspaper in focus. If I did I would have switched the settings.

Any more pointless nitpicking to come, or is that it for a while?

I think not. I keep forgetting that you don't do too well with criticism. :(

My Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF suffers if shooting into the light and stopped down, a lens hood wouldn't shield that. A sort of purple circle shows in the middle of the image. It spoiled a nice shot a couple of years ago so I experimented to see when it occurred, wide open it does not appear, only stopped down.

Can anybody spot how many wrongs are happening here....?

13175564554_1dca18a597_o.jpg

Because he can. The biggest aperture on my current camera is f/2.8.

I recall a discussion - I think you were part of it. I was wanting a camera with an even wider aperture, for night shooting. It was pointed out that with a larger sensor, it was possible to get better image clarity without the need for the really big apertures, because the large sensor is more efficient at capturing the light.

I recall a discussion - I think you were part of it. I was wanting a camera with an even wider aperture, for night shooting. It was pointed out that with a larger sensor, it was possible to get better image clarity without the need for the really big apertures, because the large sensor is more efficient at capturing the light.
I generally buy the largest aperture lenses I can afford ....
I have 2 x f1.8 lenses, two f2.8 and a slow long zoom ..
My next thing will enable very high ISO and should extend my low light capabilities.

I generally buy the largest aperture lenses I can afford ....
I have 2 x f1.8 lenses, two f2.8 and a slow long zoom ..
My next thing will enable very high ISO and should extend my low light capabilities.

Johnny and I were comparing our fixed lens point and shoot cameras. Mine is the Ricoh GR and while its biggest aperture is only f/2.8, its ability to take excellent pictures at high ISO numbers more than makes up for it. It has a CMOS C sensor the same size as a DSLR.

"Art" my arse. It's just pointing it at stuff and pressing a button FFS.
You still need an eye for colour & contrast, composition, and what makes an interesting image. You also have to be there with your camera at the right moment.

Johnny and I were comparing our fixed lens point and shoot cameras. Mine is the Ricoh GR and while its biggest aperture is only f/2.8, its ability to take excellent pictures at high ISO numbers more than makes up for it. It has a CMOS C sensor the same size as a DSLR.

It's true, damn you!:mad:

Only a complete amateur would point the flash directly at a subject rather than bouncing/defusing :facepalm:
Press photographers who usually get paid - take lots of pictures with on-camera flash even in broad daylight. To be fair they just want a picture for news purposes not for artistic effects and the flash is doing a fill-in job as well as making sure there is enough light so that nobody has to post process to rescue the image.

Also unless the photographer doubles in a bomb disposal unit, he will be diffusing rather than defusing. :)

And yes Johnny I know that it is true that your camera opens up to f/2. :)

Press photographers who usually get paid - take lots of pictures with on-camera flash even in broad daylight. To be fair they just want a picture for news purposes not for artistic effects and the flash is doing a fill-in job as well as making sure there is enough light so that nobody has to post process to rescue the image.
I may have been being slightly flippant :)

High ISO is next on my list. My 14 odd year old dslr goes to ISO1600 with reasonable IQ, I have a hankering for a Nikon D610 which goes a long way past that :)

What? You start a thread about a specific subject, and now you won't discuss it further or even just offer an opinion?
Hasn't that discussion already been done to death?
'nuff said :rolleyes:
:facepalm:
A larger sensor helps, but so does a wider aperture. It's one of the reasons people shell out loadsamoney for wide aperture lenses.
My little s110 has a 2.0. :cool:
But on a compact camera that doesn't mean much. When you zoom in that f/2.0 becomes what, f/5.6? You're not going to able to achieve the shallow DoF with that you can on a DSLR.

Like with so many other urban threads, so much time, effort and face could have been saved if people could just tweek their wording a little.
"I see your point but I sometimes find this/that/other" rather than "you're wrong and you're a grotesquely ugly freak!" :D

Other than my 50mm f1.8 all my lenses are fucked. My f2.8 17-50 has water damage and the zoom is stuck at 17mm. I lost my kit lens and my 30-70 pentax-f macro is also fucked :(

On the body, the prism is full of crap/fluff and the sensor is covered in blobs.

Oh, and my 50-300 is stuck wide open at f 3.5.

I should probably take better care of my kit.

But on a compact camera that doesn't mean much. When you zoom in that f/2.0 becomes what, f/5.6? You're not going to able to achieve the shallow DoF with that you can on a DSLR.

I never zoom. I use it wide angle, at night, with a tripod at that aperture, on long exposure shots.

Back
Top Bottom