Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Penzance Sleeper

There is a sleeper to Penzance? I might try that some time. Let us know what it was like.

I've done the sleeper to Edinburgh and it was okay except you can't open a window and they wake you quite early. I slept okayish though. I didn't take advantage of the showers at waverely and our accommodation wouldn't let us book in so didn't feel as fresh as I might while I was out and about until 7pm.

I spent this saturday night on the sleeper from Vienna to Munich. Boarded just after midnight. About an hour after getting to sleep the corridors were invaded by a big group of noisy, possibly drunk ruffians and vagabonds who woke me up with their shouting and attempted door opening that passes for comedy in Austria. They left an hour or so later. Then we were woken about 5am by the border police checking our passports which was kind of exciting but not exactly welcome. Then woken just before 6am to alert us to our impending arrival at Munich. Not the best sleep. Next time I'd probably be as well to book a normal seat as I fall into fitful sleep on any train journey longer than an hour anyway and don't feel any worse than I did that morning. Which is not to say I don't feel rubbish, just no worse.

Sleeper to penzance was great - slept like a baby. Even the attendants were almost airline standard and they threw in a complimentary breakfast (just coffee and bacon roll, but hit the spot). Air con worked fine, got my wake up call for the right time, the sound proofing or whatever seemed good. Overall, not unlike sleeping in a narrow cabin aboard a sea ferry sailing on calm waters.

Sleeper back to London from Inverness was less great, Looked like the same basic carriage but was a lot more creaking and squeaking going on. Attendants more railway than airline (unsurprisingly - and wouldn't even have been mentioned but for the high standards set on the Penzance trip). Woke up at 3am sweating buckets coz train had come to a silent standstill and the air-con was offline (came back on about 20mins later).
Just a coffee for breakfast and no alarm call - just a 'can you start getting yourselves ready now' like it was closing time at the pub or something.

Though on London-Penzance trip I'd had a cabin to myself, while on the trip from Inverness-London I'd been sharing.

London - Penzance cost £49 single
Inverness - London cost £59 single - both bought 3mths in advance.

Wouldn't have flown even with a similarly priced ticket due to amount of luggage I had with me (touring bike plus 4 loaded panniers plus two other bags).

Final - come back and tell us how you got on. I love the idea of a sleeper train.

+1.

Unless you're in Zagreb and on your way to Exit festival, you can't get a carriage, let alone a bed and surrounded by hoardes of partying Serbians who wer going for the "buzz through" coping strategy of the journey which was the polar opposite of yours!

After you'd been up and travelling for 16 hours already. Because you missed your connecting bus in Split.

I laugh now, but...

The Penzance sleeper is great if you get a bed - I've done it lots of times. You get to pull the curtains back in the morning and watch the little Cornish villages roll back beyond your feet. Make sure you're decent though 'cos there are schoolchildren getting on at some stations!

There used to be a drinks carriage when I last did it, where you can go for a whisky and soda before you turn in, and pretend it's the Orient Express. :cool:

Sleeper to penzance was great - slept like a baby. Even the attendants were almost airline standard and they threw in a complimentary breakfast (just coffee and bacon roll, but hit the spot). Air con worked fine, got my wake up call for the right time, the sound proofing or whatever seemed good. Overall, not unlike sleeping in a narrow cabin aboard a sea ferry sailing on calm waters.

Sleeper back to London from Inverness was less great, Looked like the same basic carriage but was a lot more creaking and squeaking going on. Attendants more railway than airline (unsurprisingly - and wouldn't even have been mentioned but for the high standards set on the Penzance trip). Woke up at 3am sweating buckets coz train had come to a silent standstill and the air-con was offline (came back on about 20mins later).
Just a coffee for breakfast and no alarm call - just a 'can you start getting yourselves ready now' like it was closing time at the pub or something.

Though on London-Penzance trip I'd had a cabin to myself, while on the trip from Inverness-London I'd been sharing.

London - Penzance cost £49 single
Inverness - London cost £59 single - both bought 3mths in advance.

Wouldn't have flown even with a similarly priced ticket due to amount of luggage I had with me (touring bike plus 4 loaded panniers plus two other bags).
That sounds ace! I've really got to do a sleeper sometime.

+1.

Unless you're in Zagreb and on your way to Exit festival, you can't get a carriage, let alone a bed and surrounded by hoardes of partying Serbians who wer going for the "buzz through" coping strategy of the journey which was the polar opposite of yours!

After you'd been up and travelling for 16 hours already. Because you missed your connecting bus in Split.

I laugh now, but...

You should have flown - much more relaxing.........

I like the way with the Penzance one you go all that way and then Penzance literally is the end of the line. And you get to go to sleep in the middle of the country and wake up to salty air and the sound of seagulls. :)

ETA: My experience of the North-bound sleepers was also not so good - too much stopping and shunting and stuff in the middle of the night.

That sounds pretty good. How long do you think it'll take you?

Finished on sunday 19th :)

It took me about 16 days to do the 1100 odd miles. I took a very scenic route (read: hilly) mostly on small lanes when possible (the CTC B&B route for those that know it).

With hindsight, I'm not sure about the wisdom of taking a bike laden with camping gear on a route designed for light B&B travel. Nearly died getting all that weight up a few of the hills / mountains (views at the top justified the effort).

Made it to the end on time by putting in long hours rather than speed.

Good feeling of achievement at the finish line.

The Penzance sleeper is awesome. You should get plenty of sleep, although I recommend bringing a bottle of wine and having a couple of strong joints before you board just to make sure.

Two per cabin, wash-hand basin, an attendent for each carriage, breakfast in bed and that lovely rocking sensation that sends me straight to sleep.

Highly recommend bringing a partner, as there's nothing more pleasurable than sex on a train.

The lido is great, though maybe not at this time of year (there was talk of a geothermal heated pool being opened at some point though, so perhaps...)

I can recommend the fillum Bait

I've seen it, it's great. And I'm staying next to an active fishing harbour, so I feel like I'm getting the Real Cornish Experience :p

The director of Bait has a new film out soon.

shame it's not out til next year, would be good to see it in cornwall I reckon. mrs B's brother went to see the last one in Falmouth and said the demographic of filmgoer was totally different to the arthouse cinema crowd everywhere else in the country

I've seen it, it's great. And I'm staying next to an active fishing harbour, so I feel like I'm getting the Real Cornish Experience :p

The director of Bait has a new film out soon.
As an authentic tourist the local community will be queuing up to invite you to join the gig rowing crew :D

Back
Top Bottom