Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sleeper trains London-Scotland, any good/worth doing?

I use it all the time. Fantastic, if a little expensive. It's a genuine alternative to flying to Paris in terms of time, cost and comfort.

There was me thinking Spymaster simply hated trains, in the way Margaret Thatcher did (or still does, when or if she remembers).

But there's an alternative hypothesis here: he won't travel by any means of transport that doesn't involve queuing for security and X-rays and the exciting chance of having his balls felt by a uniformed stranger.

Meanwhile: I've taken the sleeper to Edinburgh, got a cabin to myself, was excellent way of getting there.

There was me thinking Spymaster simply hated trains ....

Not at all. I just spend a lot of time travelling and require it to be as efficient as possible. Trains between London and Scotland simply aren't.

.... the exciting chance of having his balls felt by a uniformed stranger.

Geneva's the best place for that.

Ya fuckin' really.

It's always been cheaper, but always slower and even with the claimed improved times, WCML is still, in the real world, far quicker and the route that people who are travelling cos they need to get somewhere, will take.
90 minutes is comparable with the journey time from Euston.
No you didn't. You said this:
No, but it is convenient. What's so great about e tickets in particular?

@ Madz:

Everything; why you liked it, who you shared with, what it cost, what you ate and drank, when you slept/woke, quality of sleep/journey, etc .... ?

@ Madz:

Everything; why you liked it, who you shared with, what it cost, what you ate and drank, when you slept/woke, quality of sleep/journey, etc .... ?
It was no different to a hotel. I had the cabin to myself, about £100 return (really short notice), free drinks etc, use of the 1st class lounge at the other end, the lounge carriage on the train was really nice, telly in the cabin, free breakfast and I pissed in the sink all night.

No he didn't. He started going about air travel, when I'm talking about train travel.

No. You started the comparative ticketing stuff by wrongly stating:

Train tickets can be booked in advance, from the comfort of your home if you want.

You still need to obtain a ticket for the plane.

See that bit in bold?

Bahnhoff corrected you by explaining that physical tickets are not necessary for plane travel and explained e tickets to you.

You then said:

E tickets are a bit naff though. What happens if something happens to your phone? You're stuffed

and:

What's so great about e tickets in particular?

So he told you!

I'm going to see Happy Mondays in Brum in a couple of weeks.

For the love of god, why Happy Mondays? Why Birmingham.

tbh I think if you have any argument, it is now invalidated. If you have no argument, well, whatever you do have is also now invalid.

madzone said:
It was no different to a hotel. I had the cabin to myself, about £100 return (really short notice), free drinks etc, use of the 1st class lounge at the other end, the lounge carriage on the train was really nice, telly in the cabin, free breakfast and I pissed in the sink all night.

That sounds brilliant!
I want to feel like I'm in an Agatha Christy novel.
I want to get trapped in the flip up bed while Badgers has an altercation with a guard and I come over all unnecessary
:D

Sounds like fun. Especially the last bit.

No. You started the comparative ticketing stuff by wrongly stating:
It's you two who started going on about how the way airlines handle ticketing is so much better than the TOCs.

See that bit in bold?

Bahnhoff corrected you by explaining that physical tickets are not necessary for plane travel and explained e tickets to you.
That's something completely separate. I don't need e-tickets explaining. I already know about them, because, as I said some TOCs use them.

This was a discussion about how airline ticketing is better than train ticketing. E-tickets were brought up. I asked why the big love for e-tickets, in relation to train travel as that is what this thread is about

What's the good of telling me a bunch of stuff that only applies to planes, when what I'm obviously asking is why e-tickets would be better for trains?

This was a discussion about how airline ticketing is better than train ticketing. E-tickets were brought up. I asked why the big love for e-tickets, in relation to train travel as that is what this thread is about

What's the good of telling me a bunch of stuff that only applies to planes, when what I'm obviously asking is why e-tickets would be better for trains?

As far as wriggles go, this isn't a bad one, but I don't think yo're really fooling anyone. ;)

Back
Top Bottom