Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sleeper trains London-Scotland, any good/worth doing?

Brilliant! Let's really compound the expense of an already stratospherically priced ticket!
Cheap deals are available if you book in advance.

especially if you need to piss about getting a ticket at the train station). You still just "turn up and go".
Train tickets can be booked in advance, from the comfort of your home if you want.

You still need to obtain a ticket for the plane.

But this thread specifies the Sleeper. There's a clue in the title. ;)
You're the one that started on about trains to from London to Edinburgh. There are no sleepers on that route.

Really? And there was me thinking that the French cheated by using teleportation.
And your point was again....?

Train tickets can be booked in advance, from the comfort of your home if you want.

No you don't!

Your "ticket" can be sent to your phone.

If you do need to pick one up at the airport you simply key in a pin number to a machine at the airport. Like you would for a train ticket.

You're 10 years behind the times.

You're the one that started on about trains to from London to Edinburgh. There are no sleepers on that route.

:facepalm: To illustrate the efficiency of Eurostar.

No you don't!

Your "ticket" can be sent to your phone

You're 10 years behind the times.
So do some TOCs. E tickets are a bit naff though. What happens if something happens to your phone? You're stuffed

:facepalm: To illustrate the efficiency of Eurostar.
You're comparing apples with oranges, as I already pointed out.

A few TOCs issue e-tickets on your phone.

O'rly? In the UK?

Bungle73 said:
Uk, no there aren't.

StationArriveDepartTravel byOperator
LONDON EUSTON 23:50 TRAIN First ScotRail
EDINBURGH WAVERLEY 07:16
Journey Duration: 07:26
First ScotRail service originates LONDON EUSTON, final destination EDINBURGH WAVERLEY, calling at:
ArriveDepartStationPlatform*
23:50 LONDON EUSTON 15
00:10 WATFORD JUNCTION 8
05:16 CARLISLE 4
06:20 06:36 CARSTAIRS 1
07:16 EDINBURGH WAVERLEY 7
EDINBURGH WAVERLEY 07:16
Journey Duration: 07:26

That's the sleeper to Edinburgh

O'rly? In the UK?
Yes. That's what I just said isn't it? Chiltern is one. I'm not sure about others. East Coast offer Print@Home tickets.
What happens if your sleeper train is hijacked by flesh eating zombies called Trevor?????
Now you're being silly. You could lose it, it could break, you could run out of power, it could be stolen. Any number of issues could occur.

Yes. That's what I just said isn't it? Chiltern is one. I'm not sure about others. East Coast offer Print@Home tickets.

Oh that's useful, London to Birmingham only, when anyone travelling that route would use Virgin Trains :facepalm:

Print at home is not e-ticket.

And enough of the "That's what I just" said attitude, unless you'd care to explain what you meant when you just said that there is no sleeper service from London to Edinburgh?

You could lose it, it could break, you could run out of power, it could be stolen. Any number of issues could occur.

None of which have ever happened to me, but if you're prone to being a careless grapefruit you can just go to the check-in desk and get a normal ticket. There'll be no queue because most normal people will not have lost their phones/etickets and will be travelling as planned.

Oh that's useful, London to Birmingham only, when anyone travelling that route would use Virgin Trains :facepalm:
Chiltern are cheaper.

Print at home is not e-ticket.
No, but it is convenient. What's so great about e tickets in particular?

And enough of the "That's what I just" said attitude, unless you'd care to explain what you meant when you just said that there is no sleeper service from London to Edinburgh?
OK I made a mistake.

What "attitude"?

Chiltern are cheaper.

And much slower, in 20 years of flogging train tickets I have NEVER been asked for one on that route/

Bungle73 said:
No, but it is convenient. What's so great about e tickets in particular?

You can't lose them, they don't need posting or delivering. You can call your travel agent as your taxi pulls up at the airport and by the time you get to check in your ticket is issued and you don't need to queue up at the ticket desk to collect a TOD which you then take to a check in desk and the travel agent doesn't need to fill out endless MPDs and phone shite airlines whose systems can not accept MPDs for TODs via a GDS. And so on.

Bungle73 said:
OK I made a mistake.

What "attitude"?

This one: Yes. That's what I just said isn't it?

hth

And much slower, in 20 years of flogging train tickets I have NEVER been asked for one on that route
It's not that much slower:

Marylebone to Birmingham Snow Hill 1h 55m

Euston to Birmingham New Street 1h 25m

they don't need posting or delivering.
Neither do P@H tickets.

You can call your travel agent as your taxi pulls up at the airport and by the time you get to check in your ticket is issued and you don't need to queue up at the ticket desk to collect a TOD which you then take to a check in desk and the travel agent doesn't need to fill out endless MPDs and phone shite airlines whose systems can not accept MPDs for TODs via a GDS. And so on.
How does any of that apply to train tickets?

This one: Yes. That's what I just said isn't it?
You seemed unclear as to what I said so I clarified it for you.

Are you really old, Bungle?
No.

It's not that much slower:

Marylebone to Birmingham Snow Hill 1h 55m

Euston to Birmingham New Street 1h 25m

So how come in 20 years of selling train tickets have I never been asked for one? In factthe only time I have seen one is when one of my idiot colleagues issued one by mistake for someone and we had to swallow the cost of the replacement.

No one wants to spend 25% longer than necessary getting to Birmingham.

Bungle73 said:
Neither do P@H tickets.

You can still lose your ticket that you've printed at home, cos like, you know, you physically have to have it, so you can, you know, lose it.

Bungle73 said:
How does any of that apply to train tickets?

It doesn't, you stated as a fact: You still need to obtain a ticket for the plane.

Which, like there being no sleeper trains to Edinburgh, is wrong.

We talking about how e-tickets are the "best" form of ticket, this thread is about train travel, and you just regurgitated a list of initialisms to do with air travel I have no idea what they mean (apart from TOD, which I assume is the same as a railway TOD, ie Ticket on Depature), and which have no relevance to the railway.

So how come in 20 years of selling train tickets have I never been asked for one? In factthe only time I have seen one is when one of my idiot colleagues issued one by mistake for someone and we had to swallow the cost of the replacement.

No one wants to spend 25% longer than necessary getting to Birmingham.

ORLY?

Then I guess the new trains on the route, combined with the line upgrades were a waste of time then?

They do if it's substantially cheaper.

We talking about how e-tickets are the "best" form of ticket, this thread is about train travel, and you just regurgitated a list of initialisms to do with air travel I have no idea what they mean (apart from TOD, which I assume is the same as a railway TOD, ie Ticket on Depature), and which have no relevance to the railway.

No. You said that one needs to have a ticket for a flight. I just explained that that is not the case. You then took a flight of fancy about lost/stolen/damaged phones!

Ya fuckin' really.

Bungle73 said:
Then I guess the new trains on the route, combined with the line upgrades were a waste of time then?

They do if it's substantially cheaper.

It's always been cheaper, but always slower and even with the claimed improved times, WCML is still, in the real world, far quicker and the route that people who are travelling cos they need to get somewhere, will take.

I asked how e-tickets are better, in relation to rail travel, since that is what this thread is about.

No you didn't. You said this:

Bungle73 said:

Which is wrong. It was explained to you why it's wrong. Do you now understand why it was wrong?

Back
Top Bottom