Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Penzance Sleeper

Final

efficiency=max effort=min
Getting it tonight from paddington. Anyone used before?

What's it like? More importantly - I've got a busy day planned tomorrow - what are the odds of actually getting any sleep?

Why you coming to Penzance? :hmm:

I haven't used it since I was a kid, 30 odd years ago. I'm sure it's (hopefully) changed a bit since then.

I tried to sleep in the regular carrige once and despite drinking a whole bottle of white wine was awake most of the way, so felt like shit the whole next day. I'd like to try the bed thing one day tho

If you are a good sleeper then you'll sleep. I can sleep on sleepers. It's a fitful, wakey kind of sleep - but I am functional the next day (if prone to an early night).

I've taken the sleeper to Plymouth for work once, and the sleeper to Fort William twice when going on holiday to the Highlands.

I don't sleep very well on anything that moves, but it was comfortable enough, if cramped.

On one of the trips to Scotland, I was woken by the old boy in the cabin next to me bellowing, in a thick Scots accent, "Hilda! Where's me troosers?" :D

Take advantage of the reasonably priced beer in the bar, then pootle off to bed

I managed to sleep on the way to Glasgow when I got it

It's ace

:)

I've got the glasgow sleeper a few times, slept really well, I think that one stops for a few hours , near Preston? so that you arrive in Glasgow for 7am, rather than 4.30am

Getting it tonight from paddington. Anyone used before?

What's it like? More importantly - I've got a busy day planned tomorrow - what are the odds of actually getting any sleep?

Used it a month or so ago, only got the cheapo ticket so no individual cabin for me. No fully reclining seat like the webshite told me there would be, just slightly more than usual and a slightly wider seat. Caught the 10 to midnight or something and got into Truro around 8ish iirc. Thing sat about for hours at one or more stations, which plenty of people seemed to use as opportunity to smoke out the open doors thankfully. I got about 2 hours sleep in bits and bobs. Ended up getting nicely mullered with some randoms on the train, including an old hippy woman who ended up getting shouted at by the rest of the carriage after 4 hours of continual talking lol. Grumpy fuckers.

we did sleeper trains to barcelona and back last year, and i've also taken on in italy. I did sleep every time, but it's a funny kind of sleep, and you're quite aware (or i was). Having a private cabin was best, sharing a public cabin is ok, i've never done a reclining seat.

I didnt either, despite it saying it was fully reclining, it damn well wasnt. Found I didnt really trust myself to sleep much anyway as I was a bit para Id miss my stop.

Why you coming to Penzance? :hmm:

I'm doing a lands end -> john o'groats cycle ride. Camping all the way - but looks like it's going to piss down for the first three days. Heading over the top of Exmoor on Monday. Mountains. Views. Thunderstorms and me peddling furiously on a wheeled lightning conductor. :hmm:

On the off chance that I get some kip I did a double check about the wake up call situation:

All Sleeper berth customer can have a morning wake up call with complimentary breakfast .

If I remember, I'll take some photos of my finger with the sleeper in the background.

I've done it the other way after watching Hull City at Plymouth. The sleep is fitful, a bit like these past nights while it's been muggy. The best sleep was the bit in Paddington where we had a couple of hours before being asked to leave at about 7.

Ive done sleeper trains round europe but not here. I heard that the scottish sleeper is a "lock in on wheels" and primarily so that alcoholics can travel together. Let us know how you get on.

Ive done sleeper trains round europe but not here. I heard that the scottish sleeper is a "lock in on wheels" and primarily so that alcoholics can travel together. Let us know how you get on.

I'm coming back from Inverness on a sleeper too. I'll give a compare and contast upon my return.

Just finished packing so from now I'm effectively offline until the 21st.

Laters :cool:

The "sleeper" National Express coach to Penznace is where it's at. :cool:

A mere eight hours from Victoria to Penzance, arriving fresh as a daisy. :hmm:

The "sleeper" National Express coach to Penznace is where it's at. :cool:

I did that once years ago, expecting it to be empty so I'd have loads of room to stretch out and sleep, and it was packed all the way with lots of people getting on and off at every stop.

Back
Top Bottom