Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Penny for the guy': has it vanished forever?

This one has the substation at 2 mins 45 ish. It's horrific. Death himself features in the "No swimming" section Fricking hell!

Maybe it's time we had some new ones, showing kids it's not a funny to throw fireworks at people, it's not funny to throw things from bridges onto motorways/railway tracks etc.

We used to demand 'Jimmmmyyyyy!' was put on in Physics lessons at the end of term. This was in the mid 90s mind

Tbf lewes burns a pope every nov 5th true but nobodys chucking stuff at the catholic church or catholic schools.
When i suggested to my nieghbours who were getting pissed off with people parking 4x4 whie waiting to pick there kids up from the local catholic school that the answer was big murals and get a mob together to throw stones and fireworks at going home time they looked at me as if i was mad.
Simliar to my neighbour whose trying to get his kids into the catholic secondary school suggesting that burning his house down for that "crime" was an option just got a blank look.

Now jumping jacks were fun. So they banned them but now kids can get access to fireworks rockets about 20x more powerful than what was around in my day.

Now jumping jacks were fun. So they banned them but now kids can get access to fireworks rockets about 20x more powerful than what was around in my day.

How do they afford the things though? I was quite tempted by a few rockets, but gone are the days of cheap jobs for a few quid. :(

How do they afford the things though? I was quite tempted by a few rockets, but gone are the days of cheap jobs for a few quid. :(
Cheap Chinese imports I think. I've seen some right Battle Royales in my street with near-bazooka like rockets despatched between warring factions.

You have to remember Catholics could not get a job in a bank in Glasgow until the 1970s nor get a job working for the council in towns like Stockport and Blackpool either.

Catholics could not serve in the British army as officers up until WW1 and then it was in regiments with alot of Catholic recruits.

Burning effigies of people is a bit unpleasant really, but strange how it wasn't up until around 25 years ago.

Despite it's origins, I don't remember thinking it was anti catholic as a kid though, it was just.... some guy made of old clothes!

How did Catholics feel about it? My wife's a Catholic and she says she never really thought about it.

In fairness. Your wife doesn't seem to think too much about anything, does she? Just look at the cunt she married.

A 5th Nov traditional food I haven't eaten for yonks is Parkin Cake. I used to have some every year to take to the local fireworks display. My wife hadn't heard of it, so it might be some weird thing my parents did.

Doing "Penny For the Guy" was brilliant. Sometimes someone used to dress up as the guy.We raked the £££ in.

Then you would see some kids with newspapers stuck in a pair of tights, with a football hat on top, calling it a Guy. Pathetic.

A 5th Nov traditional food I haven't eaten for yonks is Parkin Cake. I used to have some every year to take to the local fireworks display. My wife hadn't heard of it, so it might be some weird thing my parents did.
Parkin has to be made a few days in advance and allowed to age or it'll taste vile and the texture won't be right. AFAIK it's a regional recipe traditional for Bonfire Night (along with cinder toffee), but I'm not sure exactly which region.

I used to see plenty of it in Salford a few years ago. And I remember it going on a lot in St.Helens too when I was young. I think it's still more of a thing in Lancashire than anywhere else in England. I remember being on Salford Precinct one afternoon and a group of school age kids were doing "Penny for the guy" with a football with eyes drawn on it and wearing an adidas tracksuit. I gave the lad some change and he responded with "ace I'm gonna have enough for a tenbag soon" which warmed my heart immensely.

most people dont seem to know about it outside west yorkshire

Yeah that's another one, Mischief Night, the kids round here still do it. Mind you the kids round here still say "I tell thee" and live like it's the 1950's so that's to be expected.

How did Catholics feel about it? My wife's a Catholic and she says she never really thought about it.

My grandmother, who was of Irish catholic extraction, refused to let my mum or any of her kids participate in Trick or Treating and Bonfire Night. Halloween was paganism, and Bonfire Night was understood to be an anti-catholic display of bigtory. But my family were weird like that.

Cheap Chinese imports I think. I've seen some right Battle Royales in my street with near-bazooka like rockets despatched between warring factions.

Some of the happiest days of my life were on Dalton Green Lane having makeshift artillery wars with kids from the other side of the street. We could teach them spanish miners a thing or two about makeshift mortars and bazookas!

Parkin has to be made a few days in advance and allowed to age or it'll taste vile and the texture won't be right. AFAIK it's a regional recipe traditional for Bonfire Night (along with cinder toffee), but I'm not sure exactly which region.

Probably Yorkshire. And you can still get it, along with cinder toffee, up here.

Jesus wept you culturally bereft southern bastards, i almost feel sorry for you!

Yeah we had cinder toffee too, I remember my dad breaking a tooth on it. The region will be northern, my parents are from Lancashire and Yorkshire and carried on the war of the roses in our house.

My grandmother, who was of Irish catholic extraction, refused to let my mum or any of her kids participate in Trick or Treating and Bonfire Night. Halloween was paganism, and Bonfire Night was understood to be an anti-catholic display of bigtory. But my family were weird like that.

:confused: Halloween is big in Ireland

:confused: Halloween is big in Ireland

Yes but my grandmother's objection to Halloween wasn't based on being Irish. She objected to it on religious grounds. There's plenty of protestants who would agree as it happens, loads of them in the American Bible-belt.

Is annual "Burn a Catholic day" big in Ireland too by any chance?

To be honest the catholic church does not do itself any favours so that I can actually be appalled at the thought of burning effigies of catholics. The homophobic the bishops of Rome, Glasgow and Motherwell are well towards the top of my list if burnings are required.

no, but they have a bonfire for Halloween and fireworks tend to be let off. Confused the fuck out of me first time I was in Dublin around the end of October, being of an age where it was all bonfire night growing up.

To be honest the catholic church does not do itself any favours so that I can actually be appalled at the thought of burning effigies of catholics. The homophobic the bishops of Rome, Glasgow and Motherwell are well towards the top of my list if burnings are required.
Jimmy Savile was a catholic eta do the effegies at Lewes have to be of living people?

Back
Top Bottom