Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pamplona 'wolf pack' gang rape trial angers Spain

It is as absurd as it is shocking. The case has been high profile from the start. Long before the trial the guilt of the men was beyond doubt. They quite literally posted on the internet about their intentions to go from Sevilla (I think, but the original internet stuff seems to have gone) to Pamplona for San Fermin specifically, because they had been told it was easy to rape women. Those were the fundamental sentiments of their words before any crime had been committed.

Spain is fucked in many ways. I say that from my own POV, because they don't even allow artists to work in the street these days. But, to allow your legal system to be abused to this sort of low shit is beyond belief. There is much more shit going on. However, allowing this to happen is just beyond any rational belief today. Spain has to answer to EU justice on so many levels. Spain has not actually ever signed the full EU constitution!

For a couple of years before this happened there was a national "No means No" campaign throughout Spain. For a long time the law clamped down very heavily on any abuse from men towards women. The law was there to protect women firstly and most importantly (as it should be) - men could often be held until they proved their innocence. This is just as unfair IMO. Nobody should be guilty until proven guilty. This case could well be a backlash. Many men have spent time in prison, had their lives fucked about etc just because someone accused them of something. I have personally witnessed a woman enter a small park where a guy was sitting minding his own business. She approached him, goaded him, then called police. He had previously been ordered not to go within 200 Meters of the women. She approached him. The result was he ended up in prison for months due to breaking the rules of a suspended sentence completely unrelated.

I am very glad I left Spain. It is actually wobbling very seriously. Rajoy has got away with far too much already. If he has nothing to say about this he should simply stand down and hand over the reigns.

It's a good piece written by someone based in a more cosmopolitan modern city, Barcelona, where she isn't as accustomed to that behaviour, although even in that place it isn't without it's problems. She talks about women with degrees and good jobs who put Manolo in his place, she should explore other classes, too, to extend the article.

The condemned in this rape case are not the five accused but women all over Spain. From what I hear things are getting worse and weekends are a minefield for women in the pubs and clubs. There is a mural near my house calling for a harrasment free environment for women.

It's a good piece written by someone based in a more cosmopolitan modern city, Barcelona, where she isn't as accustomed to that behaviour, although even in that place it isn't without it's problems. She talks about women with degrees and good jobs who put Manolo in his place, she should explore other classes, too, to extend the article.

The condemned in this rape case are not the five accused but women all over Spain. From what I hear things are getting worse and weekends are a minefield for women in the pubs and clubs. There is a mural near my house calling for a harrasment free environment for women.
I'm lucky that there's very few harassment problems here, according to my colleagues anyway. Friends in Seville say it can be bad there.

This tweet from an account where women share their negative experiences is particularly sad. It's from a boy and says:

"When I'm walking alone at night and pass by girls who are also alone, I notice they are nervous when they see me. I also feel uncomfortable although I have no bad intention and understand the situation. To "help" I overake and walk ahead so that they don't have to worry.

In spanish

Etiqueta #cuentalo en Twitter

I'm lucky that there's very few harassment problems here, according to my colleagues anyway. Friends in Seville say it can be bad there.

Generally, most female friends who visited me in Spain, or friends I made in Spain commented on how safe they felt compared to London, Berlin, Paris... etc etc etc. This isn't a Spanish problem at root - it is a Spanish problem in the way the state is failing it's people.

Spain remains a very safe place. IME it is only on the coast, the islands, and other places full of tourists on full holiday mode where women really feel intimidated. Gitano culture remains as blatantly sexists as modern society in Western Europe gets mind, but that is a completely different issue. It also needs to be recognised as a very different culture by all who venture into it.

This case is just sick. Totally fucking sick.

Generally, most female friends who visited me in Spain, or friends I made in Spain commented on how safe they felt compared to London, Berlin, Paris... etc etc etc. This isn't a Spanish problem at root - it is a Spanish problem in the way the state is failing it's people.

Spain remains a very safe place. IME it is only on the coast, the islands, and other places full of tourists on full holiday mode where women really feel intimidated. Gitano culture remains as blatantly sexists as modern society in Western Europe gets mind, but that is a completely different issue. It also needs to be recognised as a very different culture by all who venture into it.

This case is just sick. Totally fucking sick.
I posted the link for interest more than anything. Otherwise I100% agree with you. I feel much safer here than I ever did in the north of England. And, as you say, the system here is failing the women.

Seville is where the "Manada" attackers are from.
Yes. I was aware of this. My Sevilliano friends and I have discussed this, and considered it along with the machismo that seems to prevail in the city. Of course being an older male it's a problem I don't experience first hand, but my female friends experience it regularly.

I posted the link for interest more than anything. Otherwise I100% agree with you. I feel much safer here than I ever did in the north of England. And, as you say, the system here is failing the women.

The system is failing all presently. I have no idea how the powers that be have managed to lose touch to this extent.

In all the time I spent living in Granada I heard of just a single case of rape, a single occasion where a young women said she felt intimidated. Most people felt perfectly safe all of the time. However, Spain remains incredibly backwards in many ways. Sexism here is as much a problem as anywhere else. The female company I keep wherever I am is usually very confident company. However, all of my experience with all female friends in Spain is fuck all to do with this abhorrent shit. Simply allowing a bunch of cunts to get away with this? It just isn't on, and people have to answer very justifiable questions.

--//

Have to add that the papers and local gossip was always full of stories of sexual abuse amongst local people. I'm just talking about my own personal, first hand experience. Seemed pretty normal for physical abuse to happen daily within many communities.

--------------

It is a very broad issue.

Reaction here in Madrid, and everywhere else as far as I can tell has been one of disgust.

It's a good piece written by someone based in a more cosmopolitan modern city, Barcelona, where she isn't as accustomed to that behaviour, although even in that place it isn't without it's problems.

My Catalan flatmate had a stranger put his hand up her skirt in the middle of the dancefloor in Razzmatazz (she belted him round the face at full force for it though :))There's no less of an issue there than in most Spanish cities. There's certainly no difference between Madrid and Barcelona in terms of that type of behaviour. I can't speak for Seville, which i don't know at all.

The system is failing all presently. I have no idea how the powers that be have managed to lose touch to this extent.

In all the time I spent living in Granada I heard of just a single case of rape, a single occasion where a young women said she felt intimidated. Most people felt perfectly safe all of the time. However, Spain remains incredibly backwards in many ways. Sexism here is as much a problem as anywhere else. The female company I keep wherever I am is usually very confident company. However, all of my experience with all female friends in Spain is fuck all to do with this abhorrent shit. Simply allowing a bunch of cunts to get away with this? It just isn't on, and people have to answer very justifiable questions.

--//

Have to add that the papers and local gossip was always full of stories of sexual abuse amongst local people. I'm just talking about my own personal, first hand experience. Seemed pretty normal for physical abuse to happen daily within many communities.

--------------

It is a very broad issue.
When I lived in Porto I never heard of sexual abuse/assault, although I'm sure it must have happened. There was a general condemnation of all violence. How are things in the South? Is it significantly different, in your experience?

When I lived in Porto I never heard of sexual abuse/assault, although I'm sure it must have happened. There was a general condemnation of all violence. How are things in the South? Is it significantly different, in your experience?

I would much prefer to be living in Porto!

There is the same general condemnation here, but the city is full of tourists who arrive on holiday. Just 30 minutes ago I had a run-in with a bunch of pissed up/coked up German guys. I did nothing. Just chilling with a beer, but they chose to antagonise me. I never get this from local people. Never.

My favoured place to chill is not far away from all the titty bars and stuff. Really not my scene, but I like the general vibe around the place. This probably makes no sense.

Violence here in Portugal is not tolerated. Same as Spain. I am a very relaxed, non-violent sort of guy. I talk my way into an easy life. Then, again, I am a fairly big guy who few would mess with - I am very aware that women have different concerns IYKWIM.

Lisbon is very different to Porto.

Back
Top Bottom