Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pamplona 'wolf pack' gang rape trial angers Spain

editor

hiraethified
This makes me so fucking angry. These guys are scum.

Feminists and legal observers in Spain have expressed outrage at what they see as "patriarchal justice" during the trial of five men accused of gang raping an 18-year-old woman during Pamplona's San Fermín bull-running festival in 2016.

The judge, who will consider his verdict after Tuesday's final hearing, has come under fire over his decisions to allow evidence to be presented about the alleged victim's personal life and character, while not permitting the inclusion of texted conversations between the accused in which they apparently discuss plans to rape women.

Searching through conversations in the WhatsApp group called "La manada", or "wolf pack", to which the men belonged, police investigators came across an incident in which video showed some of the individuals apparently abusing another woman, who seemed to be unconscious.

Conversations prior to their journey from Seville to Pamplona mention the need to procure date rape drugs and ropes, "because when we get there, we'll want to rape everything we set eyes on".

A private detective's report, commissioned by one of the accused, was compiled by spying on the alleged victim in the aftermath of the alleged attack, including her activity on social media and a holiday with friends. Two weeks into the trial, the defence decided to withdraw the file as evidence.

The strategy of the defence has been based on an attempt to show that the woman consented to group sex with all five of them. They are men in their late 20s, including a Civil Guard police officer who is also accused of stealing the female student's mobile phone immediately after the incident. If found guilty, the men face prison terms of up to 25 years.

'Wolf pack' gang rape trial angers Spain

Three of the accused have admitted in court that there was "no" consent from the victim and the video they filmed is said to prove this.

There is an unfortunate technicality being exploited by the defence lawyers, who, as has been shown, are ruthless. Apparently she contradicted herself, changing the version on how she entered the doorway where she was raped. At first she said they dragged her by the wrist but later changed that to say she entered thinking they were going to smoke a spliff. That could get these bastards off.

Three of the accused have admitted in court that there was "no" consent from the victim and the video they filmed is said to prove this.

There is an unfortunate technicality being exploited by the defence lawyers, who, as has been shown, are ruthless. Apparently she contradicted herself, changing the version on how she entered the doorway where she was raped. At first she said they dragged her by the wrist but later changed that to say she entered thinking they were going to smoke a spliff. That could get these bastards off.
That opens the argument of reasonable doubt I suppose. Perhaps, though, she thought she was being dragged into the building to smoke, and didn't imagine she'd be assaulted. After all if you can't trust a policeman (CG) who can you trust? I don't really know, I'm speculating from a very basic knowledge of criminal law.

At the very least I'd like to see the CG go to jail, even if for a minimum term. CG still assume they have immunity to everything. I've only dealt with them once, even though I was the complainant I felt in genuine fear of being arrested. But others think they're OK.

Lies dont mean guilt (she was still lured into an alley). Most people storys conflict/vary at some point no matter how honest you try to be. Telling a pork pie about how she got into the doorway, has no bearing on the issue of consent. And if others have admitted there was no consent, it looks to be an open and shut case. The defence are clutching at straws, which they will do when a coppers involved.

To put things into perpective, ive known rape victims say both during poilice interview and under oath "i didnt think it was rape", but its an objective test, most victims of rape are very vulnerable women, and some wouldnt know what rape is especially after being stuck in abusive relationships for some time. Either financially abused into sex, emotionally abused into sex, it doesnt have to be "forced" as such and then theres too drunk to consent and/or cant remember having sex (controversial area). This case is the other end of that spectrum, an obvious case of gang rape. I hope these scum do serious time and have their lives made hell.

Jesus. That is utterly fucking horrendous. Spain really needs some PR rehabilitation after its recent missteps with Catalunya, political prisoners and now this. Maybe Tony Blair's consultancy could help. :(

jesus I'd could just about imagine some scum getting drunk and egging their mates onto gangrape.
but a conversation planning gang rape jesus :facepalm:

Not much cheer at the moment , but the way the Judges bias is obvious, higher court would most likely grant any appeal

The scum that is floating to the surface in Spain at the moment is nausiating. Most people with a modicum of common sense are extremely alarmed at events but it feels like they are the minority, while, on the other hand, a massive swathe of the population are distracted from reality and locked into a knuckledragging bigotted and aggressive colonialist rant against Catalonia. There is an extremely widespread low cultural level on display here. Also, there are very few judges in high places who can be counted on to represent the law impartially.

This rape case is all the more depressing because of the pessimism surrounding not only the criterium of the judge but the judiciary as a whole, and to boot, some of the accused belong to the police.

Two judges, who showed very rare integrity and who summonsed the prime minister Rajoy to court over the massive Gurtel corruption case, have literally just been removed and replaced by judges who have links to the PP.

Spain is sinking.

Not guilty of rape as the victim did not resist enough. Sexual assault, nine years for the scumbag rapists and a whole nation of women and girls told to fuck off. Viva España.

The only "good" thing about this case is that the definition of rape, and particularly the treatment of victims, is being widely debated here. If this leads to better treatment of victims, and more appropriate sentencing of those convicted, then, maybe, something positive will come of it.

People have been worried about the outcome of this case for months. There is no justice in Spain, judges do what they want based on their own political leanings. Many of them have links to the PP and are members of Opus Dei. One of the judges voted to acquit the accused and only charge them with stealing the victim's phone.

Protests all over spain. This one in Madrid yesterday.

All them spanish people protesting rather undermines your suggestions that most spanish people are cultural fascists doesn't it?

All them spanish people protesting rather undermines your suggestions that most spanish people are cultural fascists doesn't it?

An immature post distracting from the theme.

Speak to a spaniard about this rape case and you may witness an emotional response. Likewise, get a spaniard on the subject of Catalonian independence and you will, in the majority of cases, get an equally emotional response that uses old school Franco era rhetoric which has been adopted by the mainstream.

You see, in politics nothing is so black and white with clearly drawn up lines. People have uneven responses to different themes.

Last edited:
The news today is that judges and prosecutor's associations are closing ranks to defend the decision of the judges in the rape case.

They demand "respect" for judicial decisions, even when people don't agree with them.

For them, it is the criticism of these decisions by the public that undermines confidence in the legal system and not the evident ideological corruption that is rampant within it.

Las asociaciones judiciales cierran filas por el 'caso de la Manada'

Back
Top Bottom