Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orkney Islands, Scotland - chat, history, photos

Indian Garden in Kirkwall was a good takeaway, geminisnake

I can't forget them because they still text me every Fathers Day to see if I want a delivery. I'm always tempted to ask if they deliver to Lands End. :D

was lovely seafood.

My friends Steve and Sue tell me that The Storehouse is good.

Baikies is meant to be good aye, I've only bought their frozen patties to cook at home but those are nice. Leigh's Real Taste of Orkney does a fairly standard burger van menu but really good quality ingredients (no indoor seating). Both are in Finstown but the X1 bus from Kirkwall takes about 15 minutes and stops pretty much right outside. Check times if you're heading over that way as they're only open certain days.

Robertson's in St Margaret's Hope is also good and again the X1 bus stops right outside, about 30 mins from Kirkwall. The Murray Arms in the Hope maybe isn't one for you but highly recommended for anyone who does like seafood.

In Kirkwall -

Sunbean does the best coffee.

Shearer's is good for wholefoodsy type stuff and pretty much anything else you could ever possibly want to buy. They get locally made sourdough bread in on Wednesdays and Saturdays (sells out fast!) which is expensive but really nice, especially the garlic baguettes.

Brig Larder is expensive and a bit touristy but they do some nice stuff if you fancy treating yourself. Not sure what cooking facilities you have where you're staying but they do heat-up-able things like quiches and locally made ready meals.

Kirkness and Gorie (down the vennel opposite the cathedral) if you like nice cheese and booze. Grimbister and Russell's are the best locally produced cheeses imo.

Indian Garden is good.

Don't bother with the Happy Haddock or Harbour Fry.

Argo's Bakery are shit for bread and cakes but their shop in town is good for stuff like filled breakfast rolls, pies and soup of the day. Rendall's isn't much better imo but Westray Bakehouse stuff (sold in various local shops) is good.

Lucano's was decent the one time I ate there but they're currently closed for refurb - reopening Sunday 13th according to their Facebook.

The Willows Cafe inside Wellpark Garden Centre has a good reputation. Archive Coffee also does food and seems to be popular, always packed when I've been in. I think most of the coffee & cake type places in town are decent.

Helgi's is also meant to be good I think.

If you want butteries don't buy the local ones, they're shit. Tesco's sometimes has the JG Ross ones (they'll be with the in-store bakery stuff) but not always.

Also the Orkney museum opposite the cathedral is interesting but small enough not to take up too much time. Free entry too, so I'll sometimes just wander in if I have ten minutes to kill before catching a bus or whatever.

Indian Garden in Kirkwall was a good takeaway, geminisnake

I can't forget them because they still text me every Fathers Day to see if I want a delivery. I'm always tempted to ask if they deliver to Lands End. :D

was lovely seafood.

My friends Steve and Sue tell me that The Storehouse is good.

Storehouse seconded. Best meal we had but pricey.

Helgi’s was the place I enjoyed most. Decent ale and good pub grub.

Off season, not everything is open. Book in advance.

Back
Top Bottom