Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orbital vs Underworld

How is this supposed to be a shining example of music forum past? Load of bollocks firky. No discussion, its shite (still orbital btw).

Musics been quieter the last few years, but the quality of thread is no worse - although I accept the threads that are just a list if YouTube vids can be difficult to view. still plenty of good discussion imo.

I dislike both now. Or at least I think there is a time and a place for them and I'm not there anymore.
It's music you listen to whilst in training for listening to better music.
Undergraduate dance music.

Yes, it is a snobbish statement. Fuck you, Junior!

I dislike both now. Or at least I think there is a time and a place for them and I'm not there anymore.
It's music you listen to whilst in training for listening to better music.
Undergraduate dance music.

Yes, it is a snobbish statement. Fuck you, Junior!

I kinda agree with this.

I find Massive attack to be kind of the same. :eek:

I kinda agree with this.

I find Massive attack to be kind of the same. :eek:
Aye! We have no business listening to them now! They are important bands as they opened up the gateway to other music, but why bother listening to them now, unless you're having a way back session on YouTube

I'll make a point to do one of my next fast 10 mile rides listening to Orbital's "Brown" album - did it a couple of times last year.
It has to be said that over 18 years, my relationship with a lot of "dance" music has changed...

I'm listening to lots of anonymous downtempo / electronica mixes at the moment where I only occasionally seek out the albums.. I don't often sit down and listen to album after album ..

Common theme: I am in the past! :D
It is odd how so many people's musical taste seems to freeze in their late teens and they still follow the same bands 20 years later. 20 years of wonderful music that they miss out on cos they are waiting for Underworld's 13th album to come out.

The problem I have with Orbital is that they never make a full album of great tunes. The Brown Album comes close but there's still a couple of dodgy tracks. The Green album is mostly generic except for Belfast and Chime. The Blue album is utter toilet. In-Sides is their crap phase when they did 'The Saint' and 'The Box', The Alltogether is also mostly rubbish, Snivilisaton mostly plods along except for Kein Trink Wasser which is great all on its own, Middle of Nowhere is crap too. Their latest has one good track in Stringy Acid, Wonky is also a good track but CSY & Stripes do a better remix.

To me they're a best of album, and it would go something like this:

Impact USA - Brown Album
Halcyon - Radiccio EP
Lush 3-1 - Brown album
Lush 3-2 - Brown album
Belfast - Green album
Kein Trink Wasser - Snivilisation
Impact (The Earth Is Burning) - Brown album
Walk Now - Brown album
Monday - Brown album
Remind - Brown album
Frenetic - single
Wonky (Cys & Stripes Mix) - Wonky EP
Stringy Acid - Wonky
Chime - 12" Single
Halcyon (Tom Middleton Remodel) - B-side

With Underworld, I can't think of one duff album. They're all brilliant, with the exception of Underneath The Radar which doesn't count.

I really can't listen to Underworld.
Chalk and cheese.
Why was it chosen and not some other artist(s) that were actually similar ?

I say Orbital because I seem to remember commenting that there was one bit on one song once a long time ago that I said was ok. I can't think of anything but boredom / hate for the other band and the rest of orbital.

Dubnobasswithmyheadman was great. The rest is shite. Orbital are more consistent and better live. Underworld live could only be good if they just played Dubnobasswithmyheadman.

I prefer Underworld but tend to listen to Orbital more - their live stuff is good when workingout .

Back
Top Bottom