Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Can't choose between them - both equally awesome

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Both shit

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
Morrissey v Marr seems to be taking a much darker turn.

The idea that Marr can ‘own’ The Smiths is frankly bollocks.

Good news for their respective lawyers, but yet another squalid episode between the respective members of the band.

Good news for their respective lawyers, but yet another squalid episode between the respective members of the band.

"darker" as in "entertaining". Fuck morrisey - hes a disgrace and anything that pisses him off or - even better - deprives him of income from the band whose legacy he so tarnised and betrayed - is fine by me.

Marr is the reason I still listen to the Smiths. Morrissey is a turd. And he can fuck right off having a go at Mancs for responding to the bombing by singing Don't Look Back in Anger instead of burning down a mosque, which I assume is what he thinks we should have done.

"darker" as in "entertaining". Fuck morrisey - hes a disgrace and anything that pisses him off or - even better - deprives him of income from the band whose legacy he so tarnised and betrayed - is fine by me.

I don’t know if you like the band, but a Smiths without Morrissey in it isn’t going to work. It would be as bland as Marr’s solo output. He’s a great guitar player but he’s not the Smiths. Never has been, never will be.

As someone on Twitter said, the Smiths without Morrissey is only for those who like their food without seasoning and taste. It’s food, but who’d want to eat it.

Last edited:
Marr is the reason I still listen to the Smiths. Morrissey is a turd. And he can fuck right off having a go at Mancs for responding to the bombing by singing Don't Look Back in Anger instead of burning down a mosque, which I assume is what he thinks we should have done.

What is it you like about Marr? I find him bland beyond words. His solo material is unlistenable. It’s just tedium.

Or is it that you can only listen to music once you’ve established the politics of the performer?

Who would even want the Smiths to reform? If you like them so much just go and watch a Johnny Marr gig, he plays all the hits. I'm so tired of hyped up reunions. You'll just end up with the whole Oasis shite all over again. Plus paying to see Morrissey? Really? I'd rather watch the washing machine go round.

It seems evident to me Marr only got the rights to the name to stop Morrissey doing it first.

I don’t know if you like the band, but a Smiths without Morrissey in it isn’t going to work. It would be as bland as Marr’s solo output. He’s a great guitar player but he’s not the Smiths. Never has been, never will be.

As someone on Twitter said, the Smiths without Morrissey is only for those who like their food without seasoning and taste. It’s food, but who’d want to eat it.
Well obviously Marr touring as the smiths would be a bit sad. But outweighed by the annoyance caused to the Refuk ruffian.

Who would even want the Smiths to reform? If you like them so much just go and watch a Johnny Marr gig, he plays all the hits. I'm so tired of hyped up reunions. You'll just end up with the whole Oasis shite all over again. Plus paying to see Morrissey? Really? Marr only got the rights to the name to stop Morrissey doing it first.
I don’t want them to reform. It’s the past and should be left there. Plus, as Hollis reminds us, Andy Rourke…

I’ll pass on watching either Mozzer or Marr solo though thanks.

What is it you like about Marr? I find him bland beyond words. His solo material is unlistenable. It’s just tedium.

Or is it that you can only listen to music once you’ve established the politics of the performer?
He worked with Kirsty MacColl and I love her. I'm not bothered about his solo stuff, but he is a decent guitarist. And he isn't endlessly boring on about woke this and woke that in his songs. Morrissey's earlier solo stuff was good but I wouldn't listen to him now. The Smiths are dead and should stay dead.

Also, I still listen to Lush even though Miki Berenyi is a TERF, I still listen to Space even though Phil Hartley is an antisemite and I'm Jewish, and I like some of Megadeth's stuff even though I'm pretty sure Mustaine is a Republican, so wind your fucking neck in.

Also, I still listen to Lush even though Miki Berenyi is a TERF, I still listen to Space even though Phil Hartley is an antisemite and I'm Jewish, and I like some of Megadeth's stuff even though I'm pretty sure Mustaine is a Republican, so wind your fucking neck in.

It was you who stated that you “only listen to the Smiths because of Marr”

There's a whole other thread about listening to music made by dodgy characters in one way or another. I draw the line at an individual's actions rather than views, although I guess it depends what is being espoused to some extent. I've said it before, but I've always been a massive fan of The Fall and still am. I've never been under any illusions that Mark E Smith was a nice bloke, and because he never pretended otherwise and his arseholeness was primarily low-level obnoxiousness rather than actually dodgy it's never bothered me. I saw sort of can't help but like the bloke in a way. His occassional Alf Garnett-like outbursts often just made me chuckle. He just liked getting a rise out of people, although I don't doubt his sincerity.

Anyway, The Smiths. Would previously say I hadn't listened to them in decades, but our daughter has got into them so we're revisiting them these days (Mrs [62] was more of a fan than me). Still sound great, but best left back in the 80s.

"You've got everything now" vs "Please, please, please, let me get what I want"

I loved Marr's work in the Smiths but he's done nothing since to interest me.

Back
Top Bottom