Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orbital vs Underworld

Rez/Cowgirl is really good.

But Orbital produced so much good stuff between the Brown LP and Insides.

I saw Underworld doing a live set at Sonar and they where pants.

gentlegreen said:
At the end of the day the only music you can really dance to is house :cool:

More like the only music you can't dance to, tedious 4:4 crap.

Anyway, orbital are better.

not that keen on listening to any big successful techno band at home for some reason, but two certain orbital and underworld gigs i went to were two of the best nights out in my life

Live - Underworld - i have seen both many times and at least Underworld made more of an effort to change their fucken set once in a while.

Studio - its a tight one - at their best orbital shade it but lets not forget that orbital did their fair share of shite - and that shite was IMO worse than a lot of the shite that was worse than underworlds shite....

In Summary.... Underworld by the tiniest of margins - had orbital known when to quit it wouldn't have been as clear cut tho....

That said though, Orbital's last 2 albums were dreadful :eek:

Snivilisation, Brown album and In Sides though - beats Underworld every time.

they are both responsible for two of the worst promo videos ever made.

Lush 3.1 and Born Slippy.... no one can decide which is worse - scientests have proven it

rich! said:
You are a WASP, and I claim my £5.
"White Protestant of Anglo-Saxon ancestry" ?
I've always felt it was a black / gay thing myself - well at least proper house music is ... give me a bit of good old fashioned garage any day :cool:

richtea said:
Orbital of course.

Underworld were kind of OK, apart from the fucking vocals, jesus :rolleyes:
Yep - vocals are usually a let-down - Orbital to me wasn't too much of a jump from Bach, Miles Davis or King Tubby whereas a "rock chick" I briefly shared the scene with 10 years ago found instrumental music per se quite novel.

888 said:
More like the only music you can't dance to, tedious 4:4 crap.

What a load of fucking rubbish - house is far superior to dance to than the likes of Orbital and Underworld.

I reckon 'Second Toughest...' actually sounds rather dated now - strangely half-finished, almost. The remixes of 'Born Slippy' and 'Pearl's Girl' plus 'Two Months Off' were Underworld's crowning achievements in my book, and they were jewels of dance music. :cool: Just don't mention Freur... :D

As for Orbital, they were awesome until '95 - :cool: - then very good until '97, and thereafter it all seemed to fall apart - the inspiration and invention seemed to dry up, they seemed to lose the dangerous edge they had with 'Snivilisation' and become 'elder statesmen'; the instantly recognisable Grant and Phil of dance.
icon13.gif

Of course, the real deal weree The Grid, who pissed all over both of 'em. ;)

gentlegreen said:
Yep - vocals are usually a let-down - Orbital to me wasn't too much of a jump from Bach, Miles Davis or King Tubby whereas a "rock chick" I briefly shared the scene with 10 years ago found instrumental music per se quite novel.
Don't mind vocals in dance music at all, just not Karl Hyde droning on and on..

Underworld were smooth, sickly, lush and cloying. like a cream cake you can't finish. Live it was a short git running around mumbling about fuck all. Rez and Mmm Skyscraper and a couple of others were great, but on the whole it was dull linear filth

Orbital were in your face, beautiful but abrasive, political but abstract, a great big glorious noise with rough edges, amazing clanks and a wit and intelligence Underworld could only dream off.

Two of Underworld used to be in Freur ('squiggle'), whereas Orbital were Crass fans.

game set and match :)

beesonthewhatnow said:
I disagree - Orbital sets always seemed a bit, well, plodding, to me. Underworld sets rattled along at a million miles an hour and made me want to dance till I dropped.

They were technically brilliant as well - a wholey electronic act with no setlist, improvising stuff as they went along.

i dunno about that. i saw Orbital several times - the best being at Leeds Uni for a megadog in 92/3 (cant recall the exact year!) when they had a quadrophonic sound set up and they were in the middle of the dancefloor.

that was really trying something different

Orbital from beginning to end, just a totally class act. Even the 'bad' albums. And much better live - eg the quad thing.

Underworld, perfectly enjoyable, but that's it.

Problem with Underworld is they're too mediocre, its' just not quite 'there' yet. It just lacks 'ggrrrr', and I think that comes across in the music.

They also sound too close to James Lavelle (who has done one good album, psyence fiction).

Some of their remixes are good , like human behaviour and leave home.

Bootleg Babies is perhaps (which is done by fans IIRC) is their greatest work, but even then.. you're waiting for mmmmmskycraper, kittens and push upstairs and find your self skipping the rest.

There music has no teeth. It keeps you on the same level too long, and you become nauseated. You can imagine Santa's elves listening to it. If I want to be nauseated I'll listen to the The Osmonds or Underworld.

Candyfloss music. Blurgh!

Firky said:
They also sound too close to James Lavelle (who has done one good album, psyence fiction).

oh good, i quite like james lavelle.

Firky said:
You can imagine Santa's elves listening to it.

i can't think of a better recommendation to listen to something than that :cool: :D

Back
Top Bottom