Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orbital vs Underworld

I was in Waitrose today and I couldn't hear any music; do they play music in Waitrose?

Went in for some Chocolate stout and came out with stout and a 12oz fillet steak :oops:

The 20 minute long thing in a book is great. well kraut techno.

Otherwise, all of that electronic bands stuff passed me by. Give me a Ratty or Randall set from their prime any day.

Too close to call really.

I would add though, that Rez/Cowgirl is easily the best dance record ever made...................

hmmmm

THIS! Rez was responsible for destroying a pair of very expensive speakers back in the day. Had nothing to do with the fact that we were all off our heads at the time.

Anyone go to the Underworld gig at the Astoria back in the day? The one with Chemical Bros supporting (maybe Dust Bros at the time?). As I recall the Chems played a set sandwiched between 2 Underworld sets and the whole place turned into a fucking moshpit when they came on. it was brilliant stuff.

Anyone go to the Underworld gig at the Astoria back in the day? The one with Chemical Bros supporting (maybe Dust Bros at the time?). As I recall the Chems played a set sandwiched between 2 Underworld sets and the whole place turned into a fucking moshpit when they came on. it was brilliant stuff.

Sadly not. Though I did see them at the Astoria play the JBO 10th anniversary (the first one they did without Darren Emerson) which was amazing. The only really 'back in the day' show I ever saw was when they played Reading festival in 96 and tore up the Melody Maker tent (a stark contrast to the shamefully bad Stone Roses headlining the main stage).

Sadly not. Though I did see them at the Astoria play the JBO 10th anniversary (the first one they did without Darren Emerson) which was amazing. The only really 'back in the day' show I ever saw was when they played Reading festival in 96 and tore up the Melody Maker tent (a stark contrast to the shamefully bad Stone Roses headlining the main stage).
I just had to look up the date - it was October '94. Funny how the mind plays tricks, I would have thought it was earlier. Chems were still playing as the Dust Bros..

I just had to look up the date - it was October '94. Funny how the mind plays tricks, I would have thought it was earlier. Chems were still playing as the Dust Bros..

Ah. Yes. I'd have been 13 and wishing then (as I often do now) that I was both 10 years earlier so I could've been there.

This thread was prior to my interest in either, but now I'm fairly well schooled in them I think I opt for Underworld, although it's marginal.

Windows of the Rijksmuseum are very similar to Ally Pally where I saw them last. Ally pally was a good gig but not as good as the Roundhouse skyscraper101 posted a video of which was tear jerkingly good.

Last edited:
I saw Underworld at the Sydney Opera House in April.
By far the best gig I have ever been to. Karl Hyde had
so much energy, dancing like a raver in his 20s rather
than someone who is 60! It was just spectacular.

Have loved both over the years, and for different vibes/styles so the comparison doesn't seem entirely appropriate really.

Orbital have always been one of my faves through the Green and Brown albums and Snivilisation. I've had some top moments with Underworld too (Astoria 2000), but seeing Orbital at Glasto 94 was one of those special moments that will never leave me.

I had a bootleg of a live '93 show which I think is this - just brilliant.

this is the tracklist

01 Planet Of The Shapes 00:00
02 Lush 3-1 06:43
03 Lush 3-2 11:39
04 Lush Eurotunnel 15:35
05 Impact 17:18
06 Remind 27:46
07 Chime 34:40
08 Walk Now 42:07
09 Walk About 47:59
10 Monday 51:45
11 ''Next'' (Orchestra Interlude) - SCOTT WALKER 59:52
12 The Naked And The Dead 01:00:37
13 The Naked And The Dub 01:05:51
14 Halcyon 01:08:38

I've just remembered "The Box". My mate had a lot of dance music and liked Orbital, but it didn't (and still doesn't) do much for me. But I loved Underworld and he didn't have a lot of time for them :D

I've just remembered "The Box". My mate had a lot of dance music and liked Orbital, but it didn't (and still doesn't) do much for me. But I loved Underworld and he didn't have a lot of time for them :D

Off the same LP, the opener 'Girl with the sun in her head' is one of the best openers of all time.

Off the same LP, the opener 'Girl with the sun in her head' is one of the best openers of all time.
I tried to like it, I really did. But 3 minutes in I'd had enough. Sounds like 80s videogame music. It's alright.

(I'm not speaking as a complete non-fan of electronic and dance music, by the way, I've recently been listening to Robert Hood, Aphex Twin, Commix, Nocow and Current Value cos it's autumn and it suits this time of year)

Back
Top Bottom