Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orbital vs Underworld

Instead of having a pop cos you're still sore at me for calling you out repeatedly for being from the Stone Age.

You did?

Bollocks. Nothing to stop people listening to Underworld and 'artists' who'll only release one 12" before disappearing. You've failed to make any case whatsoever for either band being crap. :p

I wasn't trying to make that case though.
I was just trying to make the point that people get too stuck on the concept of bands and albums.
These bands served a purpose for me as a gateway to other music which i enjoy more and, more importantly, continues to innovate to this day, so it seems kind of pointless to dwell on these bands now.

Very few dance artists have the 'personality' of Underworld though. Is house music, etc really still innovating? Play Rez to a bunch of kids in a club and it'll sound like nowt else they will hear all night.

The album thing is a particular difference between Orbital and Underworld. I can't think of an entire album of solid tunes from Orbital. The Brown album comes close, but none of their rest stand up to me. Wheras Underworld have consistently good albums.

orbital have always been more of a 'best enjoyed live' experience to me.

Yet both have put out 12"s and EPs on their own which are also great.

While I'm here, lets ave it for this one.

Very few dance artists have the 'personality' of Underworld though. Is house music, etc really still innovating? Play Rez to a bunch of kids in a club and it'll sound like nowt else they will hear all night.
I couldn't give two flips about personality. That's not what it's about. Wash your inky fingers. You are leaving fingerprints all over my fridge.
And yes, there will always be innovation in all kinds of music.

I'm not posting to another embedded YouTube clip, but have a look for Joe REJ Bit.
Better still tune into Rinse FM in a few minutes (7pm) and listen to the Hessle Audio show

They're both middle-class, coffee table, dance acts.

It's like arguing over which is the best between M&S or Waitrose hummus.

There's plenty of middle class people involved in most genres of dance music tbh, with the (somewhat) possible exceptions of grime and 'Bonkers' happy hardcore. Remember when people used to call dubstep 'middle class grime'?

I like to listen to Enigma, Clannad and Enya at MY dinner parties. Beige music makes me rush my tits off.

My dinner parties don't involve anything as hardcore as that. i normally just stick ten different Brian Eno albums on at the same time , for maximum effect.

I'm lower undermiddle upper middle class but as I subscribe to Marx's notions, i have to consider myself as a member of the proletariat

It's not real dance music though is it.

More likely to be heard at a dinner parties than raves.
nah, you're very wrong on this.

That might be the impression given from watching them on a big stage miles away at a festival, but we put Phil Hartnoll on the year before Orbital reformed doing a live orbital classics set in front of a thousand ravers, and out of the hundreds of raves / techno nights I put on, that hour was probably the best hour of the lot.

someone captured part of it here.

Back
Top Bottom