Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

# On The CD Player Today (take 6)

I haven't actually, but I will investigate. Stars of the Lid are another good tip for Fuck Buttons-esque doodlings, but you probably already knew them.

Fittingly, I've also got Blanck Mass playing at the moment, and it does get better with every listen.

I have got an album of theirs but I only listened to it once. I'll dig it out and give it another listen, cheers. :)

I'm loving the Submotion Orchestra album atm too, Cinematic Orchestra style chilled out dubstep nonsense. Oh and the DJ Kicks by Motor City Drum Ensemble is really good too imo.

Welcome-Reality.jpg

been awaiting this release of the debut Nero album for some time. Got it now, and going to give it a listen this evening. I won't be disappointed.

Thoughts?, I'll probably pick it up sometime next week as I've liked everything I've heard of theirs so far.

Thoughts?, I'll probably pick it up sometime next week as I've liked everything I've heard of theirs so far.
I love it, but my copy is a dodgy download and much to my dismay some of the tracks are missing, gonna buy the full version next week (it's officially released on the 15th)

2 crackers there, stavros. :)

Cheers mate. Scientist albums seem to be out of print, at least on CD, but I was lucky enough to find that one earlier this year in MVE in Notting Hill. And I keep meaning to investigate the blues further, having really quite enjoyed watching (on telly) BB King at Glasto a couple of months ago - it was by accident really, because I was waiting for the Wu-Tang Clan's set. Is Blues On Blues a good starting point?

Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy

I think my favourite by Essex's finest - perfect balance between schitzoid drill'n'bass and bass noodling. :cool:

v/a - Mojo presents new harvest "A compendium of modern North American song (2009)"

eta: Clay Allison - Love On Depression Street
Norah Jones - The Fall (much less bland)

And I keep meaning to investigate the blues further, having really quite enjoyed watching (on telly) BB King at Glasto a couple of months ago - it was by accident really, because I was waiting for the Wu-Tang Clan's set. Is Blues On Blues a good starting point?

The album I always recommend when people ask about a first blues album is this:

Muddy-Waters-Hoochie-Coochie-M-522228.jpg

as Muddy Waters is immediately accessible (John Lee Hooker and Lightnin' Hopkins have their own take on it which often doesn't stick to the standard twelve bars, JLH wanders off all over the place particularly). This album's so easy to like they used 'Mannish Boy' in a Levi's ad. This set is a greatest hits type collection so you get the title track, Mannish Boy, Blues Had A Baby And They Called It Rock n Roll, Champagne n Reefer, Sad Sad Day and loads of his really great stuff. They're re-recordings of his epochal fifties stuff so there's no difficulty with production values and it sounding like it was recorded in someone's barn. In the last few years of Muddy's life Johnny Winter, disgusted that Muddy didn't have a decent record deal and wasn't getting the credit he deserved, got together a really good band of his contemporaries (with himself on lead guitar) and re-recorded most of his classic songs along with a few covers (I'm A King Bee etc) in a modern studio. The results were absolutely incredible, resurrected Muddy's career, won him a Grammy and left us four or five great albums of his later years. This is a compilation of the best bits. It was the first blues album I ever bought and it led me into BB King, Muddy's older stuff, Robert Johnson etc etc Opened up a whole new world of some of the best music ever recorded to me.

If it's BB King you want to try, any of the greatest hits compilations do the trick but 'Live At The Regal' is his best album for me.

Super Furry Animals - Guerilla

It's been a while since its last play, but I played the fuck out of it when it came out 12 years ago, just as I finished my GCSEs. Still a top record.

Solal - The Moonshine Sessions
Gorkys - 5

I keep mislaying these, which works out quite nicely in a way as I have to play them immediately upon refinding them, and they're always great.

I love it, but my copy is a dodgy download and much to my dismay some of the tracks are missing, gonna buy the full version next week (it's officially released on the 15th)

Download version is only £3.99 at Amazon, just downloading now.

edit; it's not the deluxe version, I'll just grab the extra tracks elsewhere hopefully.

Washed out - Within and without.

It's quite good and also a real grower. Getting all my music recommendations from the Guardian, if a little unhip, is certainly proving a productive move.

Back
Top Bottom