Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On The CD Player Today (take 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
829055.jpg

1. V.A. - Government Man (2:56)
2. Johnny Clarke - Crazy Baldhead (3:37)
3. Marcia Griffiths - The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face (4:05)
4. Delroy Wilson - Don't Leave Me (2:30)
5. Tapper Zukie - Ghetto Rock (5:37)
6. Cornell Campbell - Jah Jah Me No Horn Yah (2:17)
7. Gregory Isaacs - Rock On (2:43)
8. The Sensations - Every Day Is Like A Holiday (2:24)
9. V.A. - Sometime (3:09)
10. Tamlins - Baltimore (3:42)
11. George Barrett - Blind Man (2:37)
12. Dennis Brown - This Tribulation (3:07)
13. Big Youth - Dubble Attack (2:42)
14. Jim Brown - Dance Hall Vibes (3:40)
15. Scientist - Round 1 (3:41)
16. V.A. - King In My Empire (6:11)

Quality album. First track 'Government Man' is outstandingly good :cool:

Django Reinhardt & the Quintette du Hot Club de France-- The Pathé series on vinyl. Doing the golden years, 1934-1936.

1. John Barry & His Orchestra - The Knack (2:49)
2. Lee "Scratch" Perry - Justice To The People (3:04)
3. DSR - Babaloo (4:00)
4. Eon - Spice [J. Saul Kane Version] (2:46)
5. The Tornadoes - Love & Fury (2:34)
6. Severed Heads - We Have Come To Bless The Party (3:52)
7. Orbital - Ska'd For Life [instrumental] (3:40)
8. Gert Wilden & Orchestra - Schulmaedchen Report [Title Theme] (3:10)
9. PJ Harvey - Kamikaze (2:12)
10. The Selecter - Celebrate The Bullet (4:15)
11. Earth Leakage Trip - No Idea (5:59)
12. The Divine Comedy - Lost Property (4:33)
13. Falguni Pathak - Pal Pal Teeri Yaad (5:27)
14. Hyper-On-Experience - Half-Stepper (6:03)
15. Susan Cadogan - Don't Burn Your Bridges (3:06)
16. Jethro Tull - Living In The Past (3:16)
17. Tangerine Dream - Network 23 (4:57)
18. Plaid - New Bass Hippo (5:27)
19. Robert Orchestra Mellin - Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe (2:14)

Just been sent another batch of latest releases to review for the mag I write for, so getting on with that. Foals' new single is...okay.

Giles Peterson's last show from the BBC link. He seems to be very much in the mould of Norman Jay as a DJ, in that you can fairly quickly see what type of music is likely to interest him and what he is likely to play. Then moved on to the Ras Kwame show, which really is different from Peterson's show.

Carter USM - "Starry Eyed And Bollock Naked"
The Stooges - "Fun House"
Squarepusher - "Hard Normal Daddy"
"Delivery Room, The Leaf Label sampler"
Mum - "Yesterday Was Dramatic - Today Is OK"

Giles Peterson's last show from the BBC link. He seems to be very much in the mould of Norman Jay as a DJ, in that you can fairly quickly see what type of music is likely to interest him and what he is likely to play.

they did a 2 disk journeys by dj album a few years ago - tis really good. the norman jay disk is the better of the two...

they did a 2 disk journeys by dj album a few years ago - tis really good. the norman jay disk is the better of the two...

I have the Norman Jay JBDJ disc, I think mine is the re-issue that was released a few years back. I remember people talking about the 'Maneater' remix that was included on there but it didn't do much for me when I listened to it, but I'm a fussy bastard when it comes to remixes anyway. Anyway, now I'm listening to 'Make the Music with Your Mouth Biz'. Despite the fact he now promotes a well known beer I still can't help liking his stuff.

Both good mixes on there, but I always preferred Gilles Peterson's more eclectic of the two. It features that very wonderful What's Wrong With Groovin jazz track too. :)

Currently listening to The Avalanches' album.

-Eight years and counting; I don't know whether that level of slackness is still so admirable... It's become the Chinese Democracy of dance. :mad::D

Both good mixes on there, but I always preferred Gilles Peterson's more eclectic of the two. It features that very wonderful What's Wrong With Groovin jazz track too. :)
yeah, there's some great numbers, but it tends a little too much to noodly jazzness. the jay mix is solid from start to finish...

the jay mix is solid from start to finish...

It is consistent, but it's a bit too consistent for me. A bit smooth for my liking too. I particularly love that Denzil Dumpy Rice honky-tonk piano track towards the end of it though. :)

yeah, there's some great numbers, but it tends a little too much to noodly jazzness.

In general, I do tend to prefer mixes that are all over the shop; the wildly over-ambitious ones that try to cover a bit too many styles and shouldn't really work, but somehow do.

In the case of this one though, I guess I just like a bit of noodlin' now 'n' again!... :oops: :D

Someone mentioned listening to Bird & Diz and it reminded me that I hadn't heard this in a long time:

Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, Max Roach-- The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever: The Massey Hall Concert, 1953

The only time all five of them recorded together. It's rough, technically-- bad edits, mono analog, and my version has bass overdubs that Mingus added years later. But it's still way hot.

NoFX - Heavy Petting Zoo

Be Your Own PET - Get Awkward

The new Billy Bragg album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom