Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On The CD Player Today (take 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Spiritualized album, songs in A&E. Cheerful it ain't :eek:

I loved Spacemen 3, and the first three Spiritualized studio albums were excellent. It makes me sad to say it, but nothing he's released in the last ten years has tickled my fancy at all.

I'm sure he (-and dedicated fans) would claim he's actually refining and honing a theme, but to my ears he seems intent on just remaking the same album over and over and over again. (-I can't decide whether it's Funhouse or Parable Of Arable Land though... :D)

More than anything, I really can't listen to any more of his navel-gazing and hackneyed lyrics. Woe is him. :rolleyes:

:)

Been digging out a lot of late eighties British stuff lately. RSW, Depthcharge, Meat Beat Manifesto, and On-U Sound. All fantastic in their own right at the time, but in retrospect, precursors of so much that followed... :cool:

True, you can still play most 'Depth Charge' records and smile at the complete wackiness and originality on display. The only problem with RSW was making sure that you bought the 12" on which they didn't sing!

And the covers by Junior Tomlin! The cover for 'The Phantom' is :cool:

True, you can still play most 'Depth Charge' records and smile at the complete wackiness and originality on display.

J Saul Kane: wonderfully wild productions, and he's still doing it. :cool:

All part of a lineage of course, but his first few 12"s really stood out; he just did it so much better than the rest. Obviously not the first to sample film clips etc either, but probably (?) the first to really mine that Shaw Brothers style in the same way that The Wu then did two or three years later.

I remember I used to jokingly battle my ravey neighbours with the Depth Charge 12"; whenever they played it speeded up on 45, I'd hit back with the hip hop at 33. :D

The only problem with RSW was making sure that you bought the 12" on which they didn't sing!

Yeah. Fantastically cheeky musical magpies with attitude, and some funny lyrics, but probably even by their own admission not naturally gifted singers... :D :cool:

And the covers by Junior Tomlin! The cover for 'The Phantom' is :cool:

Yeah, those Junior Tomlin sleeves were top class, and a reason in itself why I bought certain records back then. He did the sleeve of The Bee by The Scientist too, IIRC. (-I wonder what else he went on to do?...)

elvez - g.i. ay, ay, blues

evangelista - hello voyager

people like us & ergo phizmiz - perpetuum mobile

the advisory circle - other channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom