Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Omicron news

it's too early to have a clue about whether this version is equally likely to leave some people with post viral / long term symptoms isn't it.

Why some people get post-viral fatigue and other related issues (even without a known viral infection) is very complicated and not well understood at all, even pre-covid.

If was a betting person I think the longer term symptoms some people get post-covid infection with Delta and other variants will be mirrored by Omicron. But yes, far too early to know, any data on that is likely months away.

Even without hospital consequences being on the dire end of things, and even without further restrictions imposed, and even with changes to self-isolation rules, the sheer number of infections will lead to massive disruption.

Of course its needed now, but if a lockdown was announced to start tomorrow I reckon the only people that would pay any attention to it would be those that are for all intents and purposes doing it voluntarily already.

I feel the same for family reasons. However if there HAS to be a lock down then waiting till January (100k + cases a day) will have a different bad result. Especially for schools and hospitals.
Regarding numbers and timing like that, and peoples response to this wave in terms of behaviours etc, here are some things I will highlight. I already ranted about the shitty 'analysis' bit of this article in the main UK thread so not repeating that here at this time.

The doubling time is only around 2 days, maybe a bit less, maybe now a bit more because of behavioural changes but we wont be able to see that in data properly straight away.

But there is an ongoing delta wave that Omicron sits on top of, so we cant just double todays total detected case figures every couple of days to estimate where we will be at for the rest of December. And behaviours and opportunities for Omicron will change further.

But we could use the numbers from that article, estimated 20,000 of todays figures being Omicron, and combine them with the doubling time in order to get a rough idea of Omicrons growth potential in the days ahead. It doesnt take very long at all for the Omicron cases to go over 100,000 if we do that exercise. And then add the 'relatively stable' delta case numbers back on top.

Other complications also mentioned in the article include that the testing capacity wont actually allow the same proportion of cases as are currently officially recorded to be detected in the daily data once the number and test demand goes above a certain level.

If the two-day doubling continues, by Christmas day 640,000 Omicron infections would be being recorded and early in the new year the whole population will have been infected.

That said, the cases would never be spotted as testing capacity is limited to less than one million a day.

Clearly, however, that rate of growth will slow. There are already signs this has started happening in South Africa.

But not before we get to - in the words of UK Health Security chief Dr Jenny Harries - staggeringly high rates of infection.

In my book 'the whole population would have been infected by New Years day' stuff is not what will actually happen, things tend to be messier than that and some people will manage to hide from the virus this time around, or otherwise be protected, and others will never officially be recorded as having caught it in this wave. So I mention this stuff mostly to give an indication of what sort of timescales the simplistic version of the maths leads to within days.

Soo do we know... is the quick spread of omicron down to how quickly someone exposed then becomes infectious, or just how many more people one person will pass it on to.. or bit of both?

Back
Top Bottom