Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympics 2024 - General Discussion

The tennis was pretty exciting.
Despite planning ahead and getting Eurosport via Discovery +, I have so far managed to miss not only Murray and Evans' win but also Nadalcaraz yesterday. :oops:

(Seen quite a few of the singles matches, though).

Despite planning ahead and getting Eurosport via Discovery +, I have so far managed to miss not only Murray and Evans' win but also Nadalcaraz yesterday. :oops:

(Seen quite a few of the singles matches, though).
Nadal Djokovic about 12.30 today. I may set up a workstation downstairs

On a wider point, watching some sports eg swimming, tennis, canoeing, I have done all of these at a messing around in the park level. As in I know how to do them, having done them at some point.

Running and rugby I have in the past done at an amateur standard which, while nothing special, I am personally proud of and I have some technical knowledge of.

But there’s some sports I literally cannot imagine doing, the athletes seem to have some otherworldly abilities. Gymnastics is probably the biggest example of this!

Even if the contestants had otherworldly abilities, the Olympics would render them tedious. Imagine being too demoralised to switch off the first round of telekinesis heats, with a succession of dour-faced teenagers levitating the same table in exactly the same way, while an overexcited expert commentator tries to second-guess the marks they will get for mana technique and imposition of will.

Yesssss Daley and Williams! Brilliant diving :cool:

I did feel for the French pair though, waiting around at the top of the board to do their last dive like everyone had forgotten about them after China's last go :D I would have been tempted to just bomb off the board for the lolz.

Yesssss Daley and Williams! Brilliant diving :cool:

I did feel for the French pair though, waiting around at the top of the board to do their last dive like everyone had forgotten about them after China's last go :D I would have been tempted to just bomb off the board for the lolz.
That's what Mr. QofG's said!

Great diving, the Chinese pair were relentless! Really pleased for Daley and Williams :)

Culture wars fallout

Tldr?

Organisers have had to apologise for a celebration of diversity that has irked Catholics and Viktor Orban.

First, the organisers chose to apologise, second the celebration of diversity irked some rightwing Catholics who are apparently irked by any representation of diversity, but certainly don't speak for all of us.

And third, the claim that a biblical scene was being parodied is pretty tenuous. Leonardo choose to portray the Last Supper with everyone sitting at one side of the table because it made for a better composition, but the reality would have had them sitting on both sides.

The complaints are nonsense, and the apology is a craven capitulation to bigotry.

First, the organisers chose to apologise, second the celebration of diversity irked some rightwing Catholics who are apparently irked by any representation of diversity, but certainly don't speak for all of us.

And third, the claim that a biblical scene was being parodied is pretty tenuous. Leonardo choose to portray the Last Supper with everyone sitting at one side of the table because it made for a better composition, but the reality would have had them sitting on both sides.

The complaints are nonsense, and the apology is a craven capitulation to bigotry.
It felt like a case of sorry not sorry to me

Yes. He had symptoms, had taken the test. Then jumped in a pool with all his biggest competitors. Loses. Claims he's a 'winner'. And then embraces everyone.

Legend.

skynews-peaty-olympics_6641665.jpg

Yes. He had symptoms, had taken the test. Then jumped in a pool with all his biggest competitors. Loses. Claims he's a 'winner'. And then embraces everyone.

Legend.

skynews-peaty-olympics_6641665.jpg
No he didn't have the test until this morning so he didn't know he had covid when he swam

Back
Top Bottom