Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympic Boxing Thread

I thought the Joshua fight could have gone either way.

I don't really get how you can get 'homer' results though - aren't the judges all from other nations? :confused:

Ogogo!
I just listened to the last round on playback without knowing the result and what a result!!

I watched it. I think the Ukrainian can feel a bit robbed tbh, but good on Ogogo.

Yes, it was yet another bad decision. Ogogo lost that fight. It was closer than the Joshua one, but he lost. The scoring was bad enough but it was simply unforgiveable for a "judges choice" tie-break winner to be the guy who took multiple standing eight counts.

Ukraine have lodged yet another appeal. I don't fancy their chances.

As with Joshua, it's not Ogogo's fault that the judges are clowns. But this shit is really depressing me at this point.

Seems to be the consensus opinion (here & elsewhere), so I'm not disputing it really - but how do you get homer decisions when none of the judges are from the home country? :confused:

Seems to be the consensus opinion (here & elsewhere), so I'm not disputing it really - but how do you get homer decisions when none of the judges are from the home country? :confused:

There are a number of possible explanations:

Boxing is a deeply corrupt sport, and there have been examples of serious corruption in the amateur game.

Lots of boxing judges just aren't very good at their job.

The scoring system is stupid. By not counting combinations as more than one point, it will often artificially have fighters closer together on score than they should be, which leaves more room for little errors to give the fight to the wrong fighter.

Again on the scoring system, it relies on judges hitting a button quickly to indicate a hit. Home (or simply popular) boxers get more of an advantage from a partisan crowd than under normal conditions, as they react as if his/her every miss, feint or blocked blow was a direct hit.

I think it's a bit early to be drawing the conclusion that there's some kind of systematic bias in favour of British fighters quite yet. Its just that they got two dodgy wins in quick succession which draws a lot of attention to them. But God knows, they weren't the only bad decisions in the last 24 hours. In the absence of any other evidence, I tend to think that the bad decisions generally have been about the scoring system and incompetence, with the British getting an extra edge from the impact of the crowd.

The scoring system is stupid. By not counting combinations as more than one point
Wait wut?

That's just fucking ridiculous.

I can certainly see how Joshua won if that's the case. It was a close call anyway IMO and could have gone either way, but most of the Cuban's work came in a few combinations, so if they only count for one point then the Brit definitely won without any need for home sympathy.

That's a :facepalm: scoring system though.

Not a great preparation for pro boxing either.

Wait wut?

That's just fucking ridiculous.

It's not that they are supposed to count for one point. Each punch in a combination is supposed to count as a distinct point. But in practice, the logistics of button pressing and timing mean that combinations are massively underscored.

Body shots are also underscored because they are harder to see, which means that a judge or two is more likely to miss one, which means less of them available to press the fucking button. Of course, combinations and effective body punching are for the most part the mark of the better boxer...

Oh for fucks sake, there's now rumours going around that they may have added the countback scores up wrong and that the Ukrainian should have won before it was put to that ridiculous vote. If this turns out to be true, it will make the decision making last night look positively competent.

I have not seen the Olympic boxing this year, but I heard they are basically using what used to be called the "countback" scoring system. This was known to be unfair and was only used as a last resort in the past when two boxers were level on points when the fight had ended.

If they have seriously switched to using the countback system throughout the fight I don't think it would be worth watching and I can't imagine what dick would have chosen to go from the previous scoring system to this one. They're having a fuckin laugh. :facepalm:

Having watched a few more fights, it really does look like amateur boxing (under this system anyway) has little more credibility than the pro game - although I still doubt any 'home advantage' per se.

Why can't we just have a number of judges scoring it with discretion, as with things like gymnastics? Or is the whole sport so corrupt that'd be impossible even at the amateur level?

That was another really terrible decision. Which is a pity as it came after some good fights. Conlon, the first of the Irish fighters looked very good. Ramirez that Cuban kid looked really top drawer again. I wasn't too impressed by Selby - he's allegedly the best of the Brits, but I thought some of the other British fighters looked better than him so far. Maybe it was an off day.

I think that the most of the "advantage" is incompetence plus crowd. Anyone who has a loud biased crowd behind them seems to be getting free points - which means the likes of the Irish and the Indians too. It's most obvious with the British fighters because the crowd is so loud and they happened to get two complete gifts in fights they lost, but it's by no means them alone.

I've just watched one of the Irish guys lose and I'd actually managed to forget how dreadful RTE's commentary is. Jimmy fucking McGee just relentlessly cheerleads for the Irish boxer with all the insight of drunk guy in a pub roaring "hit him" at the tv. I'm convinced that I come away knowing less about boxing every time I listen to him commentate.

I've just watched one of the Irish guys lose and I'd actually managed to forget how dreadful RTE's commentary is. Jimmy fucking McGee just relentlessly cheerleads for the Irish boxer with all the insight of drunk guy in a pub roaring "hit him" at the tv. I'm convinced that I come away knowing less about boxing every time I listen to him commentate.

I see that the everlastingly ridiculous Mr McGee said this, live on Irish telly

"If there's a blackout here at least you'll see his boots, because you mightn't see the rest of him".

He's always been an arse of epic proportions, but that might just take the cake, even for him. The arse.

"If there's a blackout here at least you'll see his boots, because you mightn't see the rest of him".

He's always been an arse of epic proportions, but that might just take the cake, even for him. The arse.

jesus.

Christ. Thankfully I watched that fight (Conlon against a Ghanaian lad) on the BBC.

He's a fucking idiot.

Thank Christ for the BBC's coverage. Their commentary is fairly heavily behind "our boys" (well, their boys), but they aren't stupid. McGee is twice as biased, is about a tenth as smart, and knows nothing about fucking boxing. It drives me up the wall. If I wanted a fucking idiot gabbling nonsense about how well the Irish guy is doing in between vaguely offensive comments, I'd ring up my stupidest cousin and have him commentate down the phone.

As an aside, I would like to apologise for the size of that font. :oops:
Dunno what happened there, but obviously Mr McGee is not the only arse kicking about. :facepalm:

I'm amazed, but the AIBA has overturned a result for the second time in two days and Spence, the US fighter, has been given the victory. It's only right and proper, given that he clearly should have won in the first place, but I'm still really surprised that they actually did the right thing.

Ah good, I just watched that fight on playback and the American guy really deserved to win. Only watched a few bouts so far but its seems some of the fuckers on the nobbling and sobbing forum here could sort things out better than the judges.

The US fighter, Spence, definitely deserved to win. And... he has been reinstated after the the US contested the decision. Quality boxer too.

The scoring system sucks. If they are going to insist with this system they should at least show the points as they are gained as they used to do, it was exciting to see I thought. In reality, they need to scrap this system and let the judges to decide after each round as they're more likely to score it fairly compared to this system.

The US fighter, Spence, definitely deserved to win. And... he has been reinstated after the the US contested the decision. Quality boxer too.

The scoring system sucks. If they are going to insist with this system they should at least show the points as they are gained as they used to do, it was exciting to see I thought. In reality, they need to scrap this system and let the judges to decide after each round as they're more likely to score it fairly compared to this system.

Wasn't that system even worse?? That was how the Koreans robbed Roy Jones of a Gold medal in 1988.

It seems the best system is the one we have had previous to this with a point scoring if three judges press the button within a second of each other.

I could understand if they decided not to tell the boxers the score during the fights as some of them use it to then decide not to fight and not to run around the ring instead, but definitely not the old system.

It seems the best system is the one we have had previous to this with a point scoring if three judges press the button within a second of each other.

I could understand if they decided not to tell the boxers the score during the fights as some of them use it to then decide not to fight and not to run around the ring instead, but definitely not the old system.

That's pretty much what they are doing now! And it's not working.

I've just seen the Shimizu fight again, the Japanese dude who got robbed. Knowing that the decision was later overturned, watching it is actually hilarious rather than enraging. The Azeri boxer spent more time on the canvas in the last round than he did on his feet. It's like a pisstake of bad boxing decisions.

went to the boxing last night.

Saw Tom Stalker win, although i wasn't hugely impressed with him. decent support though.

although not a patch on the Thai fans dressed as various gods (I think!) who whipped the crowd in to a frenzy for their fighter earlier on in the night and then got thrown out for repeated standing and surging to the front! proper bonkers they were.

Fight of the night (imo) was Anthony Yigit vs Denys Berinchyk in light welterweight

Back
Top Bottom