Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

old routemasters

As an aside, I can't believe Victoria Coach Station hasn't been moved yet.

It takes an hour to actually get out of London from it as it's so poorly located for road access, terrible layout and over packed with no facilities, poor connections to the rest of the public transport network, fills the local small streets with coaches and on top of that on some pretty prime land.

I'd have thought that siting it on one of the big roads like the North Circular where they could build modern facilities would make sense. Tie it in with one of the Crossrail stations and you'd have something that makes much more sense to everyone.
You talk about "poor connections" but then you want to move a major coach station from a central area that has a major railway and bus terminus, plus two Tube lines, to some obscure part of north London.

The owners of the coach station want to redevelop it for housing, but the sticking point is finding an appropriate site for its replacement. You'd need a gigantic site to do it justice and London is already well built up around the major rail/tube stations. And you just know that local residents would kick up a stink about the impact on traffic.

Acton Cemetery would be pefect, if it wasn't for all those pesky graves. Right by the A40 and North Acton on Crossrail.

The "owners"? Victoria Coach Station is owned by TfL.

You talk about "poor connections" but then you want to move a major coach station from a central area
Poor *road* connections, which is important for a coach station. It takes ages just to get out of central London from Victoria. Much better to take fast regular crossrail train to the suburbs and make your connection there. It'd be quicker, and remove a load of traffic from central London streets.

You talk about "poor connections" but then you want to move a major coach station from a central area that has a major railway and bus terminus, plus two Tube lines, to some obscure part of north London.
Crispy has already covered my point on poor road connections (but seriously, it's an hour from Victoria to the M25 in any direction). But even the public transport connections aren't great - you've got a 10 minute walk to the tube. The new station would obviously have to be integrated to the wider transport network.

Kuala Lumpur is a good example of how to do it in my experience. They've got a big bus station out of town it's on the fast train line to the airport so you can be in the main KL Sentral train station in 7 mins. The bus station itself is more like an airport, all the usual facilities and food etc and when you're called for your bus you just go to your gate and down an escalator to where the bus is waiting, you're otherwise separated completely from the noise, traffic etc. When you leave you drive straight down a sliproad onto the highway and you're on your way with no messing around.

home04.jpg
bus-TBS-14.JPG

another few coming events -

Sat 1 April - South East Bus Festival at Kent showground, Detling - there is a Routemaster running from Victoria / Oval / Camberwell / Peckham / Lewisham (pay on bus)

Sun 2 April - small scale event - Community Day at West Croydon Bus Station, includes 2 RT buses (the generation of bus before Routemasters) doing local rides every half hour. Something about it here.

Sun 9 April - 'spring gathering' at the London Bus Museum, Brooklands - more here - again, there's a bus running from the Lewisham - Victoria patch.

Remembering my trip to the bus festival a while back, buses aside, I remember some superb model layouts and some great radio controlled model lorry's being shown off.
The weather looks good tomorrow, so should be a good day.

Sat 22 April - : Open Day at Ash Grove Bus Garage (near Cambridge Heath station)

not much detail yet - may be some special bus services running.

Glastonwick has its very own bus service....

The last bus on Sunday was a number 73 - I could well have ridden that bus as a stundent. I loved the old routemasters.

upload_2017-7-25_8-39-57.png
Robbed; it is not on sale yet! I like the umbrella stand. You should be able to have a choice of routes/destinantions :D

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-25_8-39-41.png
    upload_2017-7-25_8-39-41.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 1
You should be able to have a choice of routes/destinantions :D
But did you see the destination they use?

10258_alt2

Would have been better if they picked a bus route which actually goes to Brixton though.

And not impressed with the mismatched black/yellow numberplates, neither of which seem to fit a UK format.

A few coming events in the south east with classic buses running -

Sat 9 / Sun 10 September - it's Heritage Open Day weekend outside London. A number of places have classic buses linking some of the attractions.

Sunday 10 September - bus event at the Epping - Ongar Railway. More here.

or similar sort of thing at the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. More here.

Sunday 1 October - bus running day in High Wycombe / Amersham - more here.

or similar at the Bluebell Railway, Sussex - more here.

Sunday 8 October - main event of the year at the Canvey Island transport museum. more here.

and 1950s / 60s buses on the streets of central London - running on route 11, some journeys on routes 3 and 31 as well. more here (more detailed timetable to follow.)

Any of the railways that Puddy_Tat mentions are well worth a visit in their own right.
i think I saw there was a heritage bus thing in Manchester this weekend.

There were a load of them up round Olympic Park a couple of years ago, mainly on that wide bridge bit by the pool. One of those things that's been done to death in every city now (think it was somewhere in the US that did it first with cows).

Friday 17 November - Routemaster RML903 is due to work on route 24 in the aid of the BBC Children in Need Appeal.

in service at 0815 Camden Town to Pimlico,
0923 Pimlico to Hampstead Heath,
1050 Hampstead Heath – Pimlico,
1211 Pimlico – Hampstead Heath,
1354 Hampstead Heath– Pimlico,
1515 Pimlico – Hampstead Heath, Arrive Hampstead Heath 1628

(news from LOTS)

Further ahead, Saturday 2 December is annual running day (usually involves some Routemasters, some older generations of buses and some 1970s / 80s buses) operated by Ensign Bus - based on Lakeside at Thurrock. Full details not yet published, but usually involves routes to / from Brentwood, Gravesend (via Dartford Crossing) and the like. (Note that this is not a free service)

Saturday 9 December will see a run of Routemasters over route 159 (probably the 1980s incarnation of the route from West Hampstead to Thornton Heath) - although this will pass through the area not the sort of thing where you can get on and ride - it's an event for vehicle owners and invited guests.

There's also usually something on a Sunday in early December based on Bromley (mainly 1950s single deck buses on route 227 to Penge / Crystal Palace) - from what I can gather, currently pending permission from TFL.

Back
Top Bottom