Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

old routemasters

Yes, I know what you mean.

I loved getting the old 19 as Birmingham had got rid of the routemaster type bus some years before so it was great to be able to hang off the platform again! Had forgotten how hard the seats were though ;-)

I was more familiar with the Bristol Lodekkas (sp?) in my distant youth, but I still like to see old buses, trams, waggons etc..... even cars .......... properly restored and if possible out on the road.

I was more familiar with the Bristol Lodekkas (sp?) in my distant youth, but I still like to see old buses, trams, waggons etc..... even cars .......... properly restored and if possible out on the road.

yes, that is how Bristol spelled it. Have some (Eastern Counties) Lodekka

Oh my!

Someone at my work has been doing some shopping:

15002227728_bd4518e689_b.jpg

Yes, we now own a Routemaster - RM970. :D

I found out how much he paid for it - an absolute song compared to the £26K they were originally asking! :D

RM 970 when it was based at Brixton picture here.

pogofish - are you experienced bus owners? (I'm assuming this is for some sort of commercial non-bus use, but frankly there's quite enough routemasters around)

if not, i can probably offer some useful contacts

We have some experience of buses, although this is now the only one we own. Switched to contractors/leases for all transport/general purpose vehicles a few years back.

Yes, its a commercial venture - a cafe that tours round our various events. Also have a restored Citroen van.

I found out how much he paid for it - an absolute song compared to the £26K they were originally asking! :D
I made a documentary about the last days of the routmaster. We |drove around all day on a bus that a couple of blokes had bought (to get shots). The cool thing was that you could park anywhere and nobody gave you any shit.

RM 970 when it was based at Brixton picture here.

pogofish - are you experienced bus owners? (I'm assuming this is for some sort of commercial non-bus use, but frankly there's quite enough routemasters around)

if not, i can probably offer some useful contacts

Haynes do a manual for the RM dont know how far in to the routie's maintainence it goes though but I have a copy of the official LT manual for the RM

Hull was one of the many places that had second-hand RTs in the 1960s (picture here) although the ones in Hull were from St Helens not London.

St Helens bought new RT's and Coventry also had a new RT but as the Daimler bus factory was in Coventry they went back to Daimler chassis

An advance notice - there will be a special service with RTs (presumably also some RTL / RTWs) on route 11 on Sunday 2 November - timetable suggests at least 15 buses on the road.

11_RTW292_JeffLloydColl.jpg

Every 10 minutes Aldwych - Victoria, every 10 / 20 minutes Victoria - Chelsea, and some journeys extended to Liverpool Street / Hammersmith.

More info and timetable here.

and :mad: at having a commitment elsewhere that I can't get out of that weekend...

Don't think it's novelty value for many, it's more because they love/loved them, and the freedom you had when using them, not to mention the lovely draught you got on a hot summer's day unlike the buses of today with their huge windows that make you roast.

Mind you, they were a bit nippy in the winter though

A little trip out , methinks.

I know an ex 11 Road RM bus driver - who is coming along to this - deeply personal to him - we will have to support him in the pub afterwards. :)

Couple of events coming -

Ensign Bus are having their annual pre-Xmas event on Saturday 6 December - network of services based on Lakeside shopping centre (includes a service via the Dartford crossing to Bluewater / Gravesend (note - the buses involved are fully licensed as buses, so this is not a free service like most such events)

A small scale event involving about half a dozen buses will be based on Bromley on Sunday 7 December - 1940s / 50s single deckers operating Bromley - Penge / Crystal Palace via route 227, and RT / Routemasters operating Petts Wood - Grove Park as service 94 (today's 208 / 261) - more here

mate of mine collects these ( have mentioned this earlier) - hes picked up a couple in the past 3 years at dirt cheap prices - straight from restorers/ chromers and the like , when the current owners realise what a money pit these are to restore properly and run out of cash. Eh alos has a shed full of LT ticket machines- the old fashioned 60s ones- that he bought for a few quid apiece at a commerical auction a few years ago.

I took a 453 the other day, on a new Routemaster, nowt like an old one, but an attractive bus nonetheless, with sleek livery. The colours go well together, unlike those garish Jaffa Cake buses.

An event next Sunday (2 August) in Maidenhead / Reading, marking 100 years of what became the Thames Valley Omnibus Company - more here

An event next Sunday (2 August) in Maidenhead / Reading, marking 100 years of what became the Thames Valley Omnibus Company - more here
I might go to this. Don't pre-order your programme at £8 though cos it is advertised as £6 on the day.;)

Back
Top Bottom