Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Old folk shake fists at the pop charts

How is Amy Winehouse “A bit all over the place”? She absolutely stays in her lane, and her lane is in the main road of music.

And Beyoncé is Beyoncé to the bone. She’s not unpredictable or wayward in any way at all, she even comes up on predictive text with the accent and everything.

What do they mean by a bit all over the place?

They’re both great.

Oh I think they have a point with respect to Winehouse and Beyoncé. Amy Winehouse was bending and using all sorts of qualities in her voice like she's an rnb singer from the 60's. Fantastic but if that style isn't familiar to you and you're looking for familiarity then I can see how it seems sort of wobbly and strange. Beyoncé can be melodically and rhythmically very wayward and then there's her attack, maybe she's a pretty precise singer but she can be very strange as far as chart music goes.

Oh I think they have a point with respect to Winehouse and Beyoncé. Amy Winehouse was bending and using all sorts of qualities in her voice like she's an rnb singer from the 60's. Fantastic but if that style isn't familiar to you and you're looking for familiarity then I can see how it seems sort of wobbly and strange. Beyoncé can be melodically and rhythmically very wayward and then there's her attack, maybe she's a pretty precise singer but she can be very strange as far as chart music goes.

Ah okay. Using the pulverised paste analogy you used, yeah I guess they’re challenging.

Fuckinell.

hah yeah if we're at a time that beyonce is too avant garde i think its a new mulch low point

Nooooo! Mulch is where things get broken down and turned into new growth. The forest floor innit, the foundation of all life. Full of strange colourful little creatures going about their business, larger slower beasts rumbling along without looking up but ploughing their own furrow. The mulch is the best bit!

When Knotted said pulverised paste it made me think of that pink slime that’s scraped from the bones and the cutting machines and the abattoir floor and mixed in with chemicals to make it safe and palatable then extruded via tubes into fast food. So the perfect analogy.

Can we all be in agreement that Raye is an example of a current artist who is the real deal?

Except I recon she has to be live to really blossom. The album felt it was all a bit boxed in. To contradict myself a bit, the industry has a lot to answer for still.

Dunno if this was a chart thing, or if there was a chart 90 years ago, but popular music has always been bawdy

Apparently that particular version was intended for private audiences. The level of acceptable bawdiness has definitely gone up a few notches in the digital era.

I don't think I could work in an office that has something so generic and repetitive as Heart radio on. TBH I cannot stand commercial radio at all. Radio adverts send me over the edge.

I've spent three months of this year in an office that has Heart FM on most of the time. I don't want to be too snobbish as apart from anything they play a few good songs, but it's the same 15-20 songs day in day out.
That's a massive improvement. When Heart FM started it had only 2 records, Fairground by Simply Red, and Vincent by Don MacLean.

I don't think I could work in an office that has something so generic and repetitive as Heart radio on. TBH I cannot stand commercial radio at all. Radio adverts send me over the edge.
last i was going to the gym it was KISS FM..."AJ Tracy live and direct" is the one thing burned into my brain...you get broken down....starts of painful and annoying but humans are adaptable by nature...cant beat them have to join them

last i was going to the gym it was KISS FM..."AJ Tracy live and direct" is the one thing burned into my brain...you get broken down....starts of painful and annoying but humans are adaptable by nature...cant beat them have to join them

Yeah I get it in my gym too. Its the hyper radio friendly 'bantz' that annoys me with them, as much as the ultra generic commercial dance pop followed by endless jingle-tastic radio ads like check-a-trade. It does my absolute nut.

Never been to a gym myself or felt the need to get involved in the industry's marketing or image shaping, but gyms usually make up a fair percentage of my PRS payments esp with a couple of songs, so a big thank you to you and all your fellow gym-buddies.

Can we all be in agreement that Raye is an example of a current artist who is the real deal?

Except I recon she has to be live to really blossom. The album felt it was all a bit boxed in. To contradict myself a bit, the industry has a lot to answer for still.
Absolutely.

Anything by Lankum, or Fontaines DC or Sault or Raye (imho)
This thread's about the pop charts. I don't think Lankum, Fontaines DC or Sault have ever bothered the top 40 singles chart. Raye obviously has - I prefer the dance-pop bangers which made her famous that she was apparently made to write by the record company rather than the serious songwriter she's become now she has creative freedom; does that make me a bad person?

I've been forced to re-engage with chart music recently for the first time in years, as the kids now refuse to listen to 'dad music' in the car, insisting on Capital, or Radio 1 when the adverts or something dreary comes on.

There seems to be loads of dance-pop, terrible rap, the odd over-emoting bloke with a guitar, occasionally a really old track that's been in a film or something (like from 20 years ago, which seems only yesterday) and Taylor Swift (which is fine as I'm on board for Swift-mania).

My current favourites are the last couple of Sabrina Carpenter tracks, Dua Lipa (the new one's not all that, but Houdini's still on heavy rotation and I love that), and the current Ariana Grande.

This thread's about the pop charts. I don't think Lankum, Fontaines DC or Sault have ever bothered the top 40 singles chart. Raye obviously has - I prefer the dance-pop bangers which made her famous that she was apparently made to write by the record company rather than the serious songwriter she's become now she has creative freedom; does that make me a bad person?

I've been forced to re-engage with chart music recently for the first time in years, as the kids now refuse to listen to 'dad music' in the car, insisting on Capital, or Radio 1 when the adverts or something dreary comes on.

There seems to be loads of dance-pop, terrible rap, the odd over-emoting bloke with a guitar, occasionally a really old track that's been in a film or something (like from 20 years ago, which seems only yesterday) and Taylor Swift (which is fine as I'm on board for Swift-mania).

My current favourites are the last couple of Sabrina Carpenter tracks, Dua Lipa (the new one's not all that, but Houdini's still on heavy rotation and I love that), and the current Ariana Grande.
Oh, UK singles charts and specifically top 40. Ok, not really paid attention to TotP for long time...

Good luck to the pop chart botherers of today, it's always interesting to see how the generation gap accelerates or merges with certain hits.

I recall everyone hating on jive bunny records, regardless of age... and yet they were briefly huge! Strange times ;)

I'm in the same position. It's weird - I stopped listening to Radio 1 in my early 20s and haven't paid attention to pop music until it recently became a kind of fatherly obligation for me as a middle-aged dad. I'm surprised that pop basically sounds the same as it did in the late 1990s, perhaps deliberately so.

I've not heard anything decent yet. The occasional hip-hop (or drill or trap or whatever it's currently known as) track is tolerable in terms of music but the lyrics are depressingly old-fashioned misogynistic, which makes them sound like dinosaurs, and couldn't be more out of synch with the attitudes of any of the 20somethings I know. My 11-year-old son finds anything that's rapped compelling - I guess he senses that there's something a bit naughty about it.

I heard a song I could kind of grant a nod of respect to in terms of songwriting and arrangement, which was by The Last Dinner Party. I'm not saying I liked it of course, it was nothing I'd call 'good'. It reminded me of Shakespeare's Sister.

I'll have to start playing my son some proper music like DJ Nigga Fox.

Well I've managed to get tickets to the Radio One thing in Luton mostly to see Raye and it's local. But that means I've booked a day of Radio One music. I don't want to be snobbish... but I might be bored as fuck. However going through the set list I've discovered Girls Don't Sync. Even their name exciting. They're awesome though I doubt they'll be troubling the charts any time soon.

The Last Dinner Party who everyone keep going on about are also playing. I don't actively hate them. At last! An act that sound like they're from the early 90's instead of the late 90's!

There's also Rag'n'Bone Man who I find really annoying but that just might mean there's something to him. I may force myself.

Back
Top Bottom