Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Odd computer behaviour

Hi UnderOpenSky I think if the Argos one I listed will be ok I will plump for that because I can collect it on my way home tomorrow.

Although the Wi-Fi issue is a small pain I have been able to confirm that the PC has 16 gig RAM and SSD and one terabyte hard disk drive. Also it has Windows 11 Pro, and it is quite a bit smaller and lighter than my old PC. And quieter.

Great, that will work fine.

As you start to do more with it, hopefully it will feel a good bit faster as well.

I've got one of them (well two antenna arms on a 2-m usb extension cos the signal otherwise has to go through 3-feet stone walls) with a Mint realtek driver. Unfortunately it drops out occasionally when I do a Restart and I have to reinstall the driver in terminal/command line because the driver's a workaround.

I was so pleased after several failed attempts at finding a driver from a Linux forum that worked though, and I quite like having to use the command line because it makes me feel almost competent :) so I don't mind

Great, that will work fine.

As you start to do more with it, hopefully it will feel a good bit faster as well.
Don't worry I am sure it will be a lot faster and more of a pleasure to use.

Once I get connected to the net I can load some software and my backup data that goes up to last year. Then I will start to see the difference I think. :)

I've got one of them (well two antenna arms on a 2-m usb extension cos the signal otherwise has to go through 3-feet stone walls) with a Mint realtek driver. Unfortunately it drops out occasionally when I do a Restart and I have to reinstall the driver in terminal/command line because the driver's a workaround.

I was so pleased after several failed attempts at finding a driver from a Linux forum that worked though, and I quite like having to use the command line because it makes me feel almost competent :) so I don't mind

2024 is definitely the year of the linux desktop :p

We had a power cut in the building last week. It took awhile for me to reboot my server. I haven’t got a UPS. I think my data may have been okay just because how I’ve set it up but it would’ve been a pain trying to set up a new server. I need to get a raid caddy at some point so I can back the whole thing up itself.

2024 is definitely the year of the linux desktop :p
With the software having been developed and supplied for free by thousands of extremely clever and generous souls,rather than by a money-grabbing multinational corporation, I'm a lot more forgiving of Linux. :)

Not that I need to be, though, it's challenging at times but bloody marvelous most of the time, and the times when it's challenging is when you learn.

Some feedback in case you are wondering. I picked up a USB to WiFi adaptor on my way home from work today, got it all working and was immediately faced with loads of Windows updates. Almost sorted now. Starting to load software and my data back up.

The new machine is way faster than my old one and image processing is just quick and easy now. Still quite a bit of setting up to do but I'm really enjoying the new machine.

Also so it was second hand, used, pre-owned, however you want to say it but from the moment I turned it on it has behaved like a brand spanking new machine. And what a great price for which I have to thank UnderOpenSky - I still can't believe that I only spent 125 pounds.

Getting better set up now, have GIMP, Faststone, Microsoft ICE, and Apache Open Office installed and my (up to 2023) backup restored.

My (quite slow) BT broadband has held up which is great because at one point I had something like 7 windows updates downloading at the same time. The connection stayed up which was great.

An odd thing today, downloading Adobe Acrobat Reader, the download was very very slow and I have no idea why. It took perhaps 20 minutes to download. Anyone know what might have been going on?

Just spent some time browsing my photos and trying to recall what I might have lost since July 2023, trying to decide how much money to spend on recovering the old hard drive.

The new computer is quick and silent, and it starts and shuts down very quickly which is great .. it is apparent though that my net connection is holding it back. I can now get fibre here so going to check out the prices.

Also looking at a UPS - there is an Eaton one for about £80.00, and also a better backup solution - or perhaps just regularly using my 1TB external drive which has the capacity to offer me protection if I just use it regularly.

or perhaps just regularly using my 1TB external drive which has the capacity to offer me protection if I just use it regularly.

:hmm:

should i post this again?

having one external hard drive and using that as your backup device is better than nothing, but i know someone who did this, then had a power surge or something while he was in the middle of a backup, and that buggered both the computer and the external drive...

Most basic, but secure is you have a couple of them that you rotate. I mean it won't beong till 1TB memory sticks are a sensible price...

Most basic, but secure is you have a couple of them that you rotate. I mean it won't beong till 1TB memory sticks are a sensible price...
I think this WD 1TB external drive cost me about £50 so I could get a second. And then if I get fibre I could still backup to the cloud also. So a three pronged approach perhaps.

Actually a bit concerned that I might fill this 1TB HDD before too long and that is with the software being on the C: SSD. - I have 720 GB free on the HDD now. Not including the last 12 months. Still will probably be a while till I have to worry about that I hope.

:hmm:

should i post this again?
But it'll never happen to me... :facepalm:
My NAS was running slow AF, so I connected both of my backup drives directly to the PC. I broke the cardinal rule, and my PSU went bang and took out 3 of the 6 drives I had attached. Both of the backup drives and the drive I was about to back up :eek:
Don't ask... My head was in a bad place at the time, and I was in a hurry to get the job done... and it cost me years of data. Luckily I had some of my important stuff backed up to a fourth drive, so all was not lost, but I lost more than I ever thought I would, as I always felt pretty safe with two backups.
It never happens until it does.

Actually a bit concerned that I might fill this 1TB HDD before too long and that is with the software being on the C: SSD. - I have 720 GB free on the HDD now. Not including the last 12 months. Still will probably be a while till I have to worry about that I hope.
I downloaded a copy of Aliens last night, just because. I didn't want to watch it. I just wanted to download it 😆

Screenshot 2024-06-22 001749.png <<<<<<<<

Amazing how fast those drives fill up when you have 1 gig fibre :D

Fwiw, Jim Cameron hates that one because it's too detailed and too clean. Aliens was shot on a budget, and with all the noise cleaned up and the details enhanced you can see the titular characters are just men in rubber suits.

I think this WD 1TB external drive cost me about £50 so I could get a second. And then if I get fibre I could still backup to the cloud also. So a three pronged approach perhaps.

Tbh unless your buying flash or SSDs then 1TB drives aren't worth buying anymore.

I've linked to something similar already, but one of these let's you use standard 3.5 inch drives like cartridges.

Got that Eaton UPS, feel a bit safer now.

On cloud backups, my lappy at work is backed up to OneDrive where it has 1TB available. Someone there says they only save to their OneDrive so everything for them is in the cloud. i.e. when they are working from home they only have to log in to their OneDrive and they have access to all their files.

That seems good except that they don't have a back up, they only have their data on OneDrive. ?

On cloud backups, my lappy at work is backed up to OneDrive where it has 1TB available. Someone there says they only save to their OneDrive so everything for them is in the cloud. i.e. when they are working from home they only have to log in to their OneDrive and they have access to all their files.

That seems good except that they don't have a back up, they only have their data on OneDrive. ?

Yes. That's correct. It's not a proper backup. Ideally you'd have a local backup as well. But it's still better then most home users have.

I use Google Drive as my working space and then have a small bit of software that backs up to my NAS.

Does your company have a policy regarding this? Because if they do and they permit this, they need to have a chat with themselves.

Does your company have a policy regarding this? Because if they do and they permit this, they need to have a chat with themselves.

Why should the users know if/how one drive is being backed up behind the scenes? Ours fairly know they're using OneDrive as everything is just re-directed there.

We are quite small, we don't have policies for much.
Why should the users know if/how one drive is being backed up behind the scenes? Ours fairly know they're using OneDrive as everything is just re-directed there.
I know I have a full backup on OneDrive and it is a backup, the files are present on my PC AND backed up on OneDrive.

We are quite small, we don't have policies for much.

I know I have a full backup on OneDrive and it is a backup, the files are present on my PC AND backed up on OneDrive.

Obviously, I don't know how it's set up, but the most common method would be for you to save the files to OneDrive. This creates a cached copy on you PC as well as storing a copy in the cloud. So there are two sets of data. Some would argue that it's not a true backup as it don't protect against deletion (bar the recycle bin), file corruption or ransomware. But it's still a shit load better then just having the files on your PC.

Does anyone fancy talking about screens?

Presently I am using the Samsung screen I bought bundled with my old computer which must be something like 13 years old. It has a VGA connector. I haven't ever thought to myself, this screen sucks or the like, I just use it as it is. It is 1600 x 900 px

The most significant improvement in my use of the screen was when I colour calibrated it.

My Son wants to buy me a new screen for my birthday and thinks it will make a quality difference in my experience.

I believe the PC has an HDMI connector which might work for a more modern screen.

Physical size will be an issue, I cant have a larger screen than my current one - it wouldn't fit in the space available.

What do you think?

Does anyone fancy talking about screens?

Presently I am using the Samsung screen I bought bundled with my old computer which must be something like 13 years old. It has a VGA connector. I haven't ever thought to myself, this screen sucks or the like, I just use it as it is. It is 1600 x 900 px

The most significant improvement in my use of the screen was when I colour calibrated it.

My Son wants to buy me a new screen for my birthday and thinks it will make a quality difference in my experience.

I believe the PC has an HDMI connector which might work for a more modern screen.

Physical size will be an issue, I cant have a larger screen than my current one - it wouldn't fit in the space available.

What do you think?
Make more space available :D
You can't have too much pixel landscape.

Back
Top Bottom