Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Odd computer behaviour

Yes, they last for ages, I wouldn't worry about turning them off. In fact, the wireless mouse I had for my laptop would go to sleep anyway.

I've just never understood the point of wireless for a desktop. It's not something you pick up and move around very often, surely? I know the batteries last ages, but it's just something else to go wrong that I don't need.

That said, I did opt for built in Bluetooth on my motherboard. But only used it for headphones so far.

I've just never understood the point of wireless for a desktop. It's not something you pick up and move around very often, surely? I know the batteries last ages, but it's just something else to go wrong that I don't need.

That said, I did opt for built in Bluetooth on my motherboard. But only used it for headphones so far.

It would look great on my partner's desk, especially when I finally replace the PC with a tiny one on the back of the monitor. Mine however is a lost cause. I've got an Xbox pad that's Bluetooth and think the adapter was less then a tenner.

I'm a total convert to wireless headsets, though. I can't believe when I was mostly WFH I didn't go that route. There's something quite liberating about getting up during a boring meeting and making a brew.

I'm a total convert to wireless headsets, though. I can't believe when I was mostly WFH I didn't go that route. There's something quite liberating about getting up during a boring meeting and making a brew.
Wired headsets make even less sense than wireless keyboards. Ok, if your battery is going flat and you have to plug it in, fair enough, accept that tether, but I put wired headsets on a par with landline phones.

I bought a keyboard and mouse today they are wireless and have a little dongle that plugs into USB port. Logitech.

I am hoping they don't need a driver from an internet connection because I won't be able to log in to my Wi-Fi without a working keyboard.

I suppose I should unpack them in case they need batteries?

I got a wireless mouse just because I needed a quiet one because N was getting fed up with the clicky clicky - I just bought it in Sainsburys tbh to solve the noise issue as he was off work for a week and this one said it was silent - 3 fucking AAA batteries every 4 days and then it would start stuttering and struggling.
I always prefer wired peripherals.

1*U5PZMSN7BhqrSUG4xM5R1w.png

I have cats. Dust is the least of my worries :D

I had to ban my poor Jakey from sitting on top of my computer (I balanced a load of empty plastic bottles on top of it to dissuade him) during his recent UTI cos he went through a couple of weeks where he was dribbling wee everywhere and pissing in his sleep - was worried he was going to cause some sort of short-circuit or electrocute himself :(

I had to ban my poor Jakey from sitting on top of my computer (I balanced a load of empty plastic bottles on top of it to dissuade him) during his recent UTI cos he went through a couple of weeks where he was dribbling wee everywhere and pissing in his sleep - was worried he was going to cause some sort of short-circuit or electrocute himself :(
Cat piss is worse than neat hydrochloric acid. I have boxes of electronics in the cat room/workshop that I really wish I hadn't left in there. I've had literally thousands of squids worth of stuff destroyed by cat piss :facepalm:

I can't imagine going back to wired mouse and keyboard. I sit on sofa/armchair and wires would just get in the way. Batteries last for ages and mine are all rechargeable anyway.

Thanks for the remarks on VGA - I now realize why the image on one of my monitors looks better than the other. :)

Great information on the thread by the way, I almost wish I needed another computer. Thread title could almost be changed to something like 'choosing a new low-cost computer'.

Wired headsets make even less sense than wireless keyboards. Ok, if your battery is going flat and you have to plug it in, fair enough, accept that tether, but I put wired headsets on a par with landline phones.
I have wireless, but it does me no good. The kitchen for a cup of tea is out of BT range and it buggers up the Teams meeting if I unpair and re-pair in the middle of it. May as well have got wired.

Cat piss is worse than neat hydrochloric acid. I have boxes of electronics in the cat room/workshop that I really wish I hadn't left in there. I've had literally thousands of squids worth of stuff destroyed by cat piss :facepalm:
Effie has taken to pissing on the front lawn. Patches of bare earth because she has killed the (pretty much unkillable) grass.

I have wireless, but it does me no good. The kitchen for a cup of tea is out of BT range and it buggers up the Teams meeting if I unpair and re-pair in the middle of it. May as well have got wired.
Yeah, that can be a problem. It's comical trying to lean around corners to prevent disconnecting :D

There is good news and bad.

They shipped the PC to me a day early everything was very well packed.

I connected up the screen wireless mouse and keyboard okay then I went to start the PC, it asked me about mice and keyboard layout then it said you need an internet connection to go further and it presented me with only one option and that was ethernet.

I don't think this computer has a Wi-Fi card and all I have is a Wi-Fi modem upstairs.

Help, what to do?

UnderOpenSky what do you reckon?

have you got a phone socket downstairs you could plug into? Extension ethernet line from upstairs? move computer upstairs? while you get an antenna/dongle type thing?

/just marking time until someone who knows turns up :)

I have found a way to bypass internet setup and get on with other setups for the computer so I am making progress now.

I wonder if I can check systems in the computer to see there if it has a Wi-Fi unit or not. Does look as if it was a corporate computer and connected itself just to the Ethernet network.

I have found a way to bypass internet setup and get on with other setups for the computer so I am making progress now.

I wonder if I can check systems in the computer to see there if it has a Wi-Fi unit or not. Does look as if it was a corporate computer and connected itself just to the Ethernet network.

Probably hasn't got wifi. You can check in device manager. or just check if any wireless networks are being detected.

Device manager, just type that in the start menu search.

Look in the Network adapters tree.

Or just type wireless networks in start menu search. If you hven't got a wifi adapter installed and enabled, it won't even find wireless networks.

You can get a usb wifi adapter very cheap. Get one that supports AC or better, assuming your router does. I was getting by with an old 54G one here but may as well get faster if you're getting a new one.

Hi xenon thanks for your post. Looking in device manager at network adapters there is a realtek family controller and eight wan adapters. Nothing that says Wi-Fi.

You say a USB wifi adapter, how do you mean that it should support AC? Do you mean that it would have a plug for power?

Hi UnderOpenSky I think if the Argos one I listed will be ok I will plump for that because I can collect it on my way home tomorrow.

Although the Wi-Fi issue is a small pain I have been able to confirm that the PC has 16 gig RAM and SSD and one terabyte hard disk drive. Also it has Windows 11 Pro, and it is quite a bit smaller and lighter than my old PC. And quieter.

Back
Top Bottom