Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help New computer needed

not sure if its a SSD , it looks like this model here (but mine is higher spec than the one in this ad) - any ideas? Zoostorm Desktop Base Unit, PC, Intel Celeron 1.80 GHz, 6GB RAM, 1TB Storage. | eBay
Here's how to find out:

If you do have one, I'd recommend just upgrading the existing install to Windows 10 and put the whole worry off for another several years. You won't be able to get 11, but 10 is going to be good for a long while yet.
If you're on a spinning HDD, it's totally worth it to upgrade to a new machine and just go to 11.

Here's how to find out:

If you do have one, I'd recommend just upgrading the existing install to Windows 10 and put the whole worry off for another several years. You won't be able to get 11, but 10 is going to be good for a long while yet.
If you're on a spinning HDD, it's totally worth it to upgrade to a new machine and just go to 11.
thanks, ah bugger its HDD . So is there any good machine with windows 11 installed you can recommend?

Honestly. It's a couple of clicks on a supported Win 10 PC.

Aren't some (presume older) W10 PC's not compatible with W11, though?

My current PC was upgraded from 7 to 10 (was bought as a reconditioned PC with W7)

I missed the free upgrade (friend was an early adopter and it caused him a lot of grief, then when it had settled down i was too damn busy) and I got a disc that works for most things, although I still have the 'activate windows' watermark thing.

My current PC was upgraded from 7 to 10 (was bought as a reconditioned PC with W7)

I missed the free upgrade (friend was an early adopter and it caused him a lot of grief, then when it had settled down i was too damn busy) and I got a disc that works for most things, although I still have the 'activate windows' watermark thing.
mine needs to be SSD apparently

Yes. They need to have a TPM chip to run Win 11, which excludes older PCs, even if they could easily run it.

I was replying to trev as he seemed nervous about buying a PC with 10 and doing it himself.

Specs wise looks great. I'd be tempted to get a more recognised brand like Lenovo, I think Xenta are ebuyers own. On the plus side if you want to change parts (I guess you don't) it's probably going to use more standard components.
was Zoostorm ebuyers own as well cos i never had any trouble with that

mine needs to be SSD apparently

That's not what's stopping you, but having an SSD is the single biggest improver of performance you can get, the difference using a PC with one compared to an old hard drive is unreal.

For Win 11 you need a dedicated chip called a TPM for encrypting stuff, which is why older machines can't run it.

That's not what's stopping you, but having an SSD is the single biggest improver of performance you can get, the difference using a PC with one compared to an old hard drive is unreal.

For Win 11 you need a dedicated chip called a TPM for encrypting stuff, which is why older machines can't run it.
cheers, turns out to be more complicated than i thought ... always open to other suggestions that are not necessarily on ebuyer

the one problem i may have is getting all my files saved cos One Drive stopped working a month ago for no reason ..... it isn't anywhere near full

the one problem i may have is getting all my files saved cos One Drive stopped working a month ago for no reason ..... it isn't anywhere near full

You need to fix your backups asap. How many gigs of files do you need to move? I'd be tempted to get a big USB stick (they're really cheap now). Then you've got an additional backup when your done.

yes thats what i will have to do i guess . Went round in circles with One Drive , it's error messages didn't correspond with reality - the odd thing is i can upload the pics already on there but no more will add to it

Yes. They need to have a TPM chip to run Win 11, which excludes older PCs, even if they could easily run it.

I was replying to trev as he seemed nervous about buying a PC with 10 and doing it himself.

Thanks - yes, thought you probably were, but thought it might be worth saying in case he was thinking of getting something second hand / reconditioned

So this has better specs then most Dells we buy for people at work and is cheaper. It's a lot, lot, more powerful then what you have at the moment and should last you many years. :)

New monitor if you fancied it, much nice to use

Edit. Win 11 is a free upgrade if you want it
I think that Lenovo m75s is what I use - Renoir architecture?. It's got 32gb of memory and I run Linux (not that that matters), but it's like shit off a shovel. Lovely machine.

Me again!
Righto just been looking at yet another one , which seems to have amazing spec , what are your views on this? There is a i9 processor version but RAM is a lot less and my son says get the i7 version

You probably don't even need an i7 tbh. I'd be wary buying from ebay but it's a good spec.

Just for reference I'm running Windows and 4 VMs with 32gb and an i5 of this generation.

thanks for info , the seller has 100% feedback and good reviews but you are right about ebay in general . i think i will give it a go but one buyer did comment that windows 11 is awful , though it will give me another couple of years rather than have windows 10

thanks for info , the seller has 100% feedback and good reviews but you are right about ebay in general . i think i will give it a go but one buyer did comment that windows 11 is awful , though it will give me another couple of years rather than have windows 10

Yes people like to moan when ever Microsoft release something new.

its the stupid bar on the right aggravates me, popping up over stuff, and i still go down to the bottom bar to open a new screen

Back
Top Bottom