Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Odd computer behaviour

We get the odd power cut down here, my UPS has let me close down the computer nicely a few times. Also good if VOiP phone (if you've got one) goes down.

I don't really have a budget because I haven't planned really to replace this computer. After the trouble I had with it last year it seemed to go on doing what I need so I didn't think about it again.

However I know that I shouldn't ignore the idea of a pre-owned computer because for example my photography equipment is all used / secondhand. And it is giving me good service.

That said I want to get this sorted so I might head off to PC world to see what they have. The local computer shop might be open in the morning and if so I will ask them what they have second hand because he made a point of saying if I wanted new it would be 700 pounds implying that he could supply used.

Please for the love of god don't buy something second hand from the local computer shop without checking the spec vs price here first. You could end up with something very old or easily pay twice what you should.

I think I am going to take a photo of each of the connectors for my screen keyboard and mouse and possibly also my printer which I haven't connected for a long time.

As my computer is so old I bet modern ones will have different connectors..

I'd be suprised if your mouse and keyboard were anything but USB.

Funnily enough the oldest video connector VGA is still on many newish ex Corp second hand machines. And adapters are super cheap.

Post them up and we can ID them :)

Can't find the printer cable but at the printer end it's one of those Square USB type connectors hopefully I'll find the cable and post a pic.

I don't think so and it gets power from a 3 pin plug rather than drawing its power from a connector the computer unit which a previous machine of mine used to do.

VGA is the display connection, not the power. It's whats in your picture and until recently I had boxes of them and similar cables in my boot for work.

I don't think I've seen a monitor take power from the PC this century.

PS/2 keyboard and mouse is outdated. You could buy an adapter, but frankly unless you're really attached to them or they're really nice you can replace them for not a lot more.

15 pin D-SUB for VGA is antique at this point. That's harder to get in a new system and I appreciate a new screen isn't a welcome spend. I've seen adapters to HDMI for a fiver though.

Thankfully, nothing has ever eclipsed the 3.5mm audio jack. Still everywhere
Except phones, for unknown reasons.

The PC is a Packard bell which I I bought from PC world about 12 or 13 years ago. Win 10 it came packaged with Adobe elements. I don't care about any software anymore because I am now used to working with free software, gimp and fast stone and Apache open office. So I am really looking for a Windows 11 computer and perhaps a new keyboard and mouse assuming I can buy adapter for the screen.

The PC is a Packard bell which I I bought from PC world about 12 or 13 years ago. Win 10 it came packaged with Adobe elements. I don't care about any software anymore because I am now used to working with free software, gimp and fast stone and Apache open office. So I am really looking for a Windows 11 computer and perhaps a new keyboard and mouse assuming I can buy adapter for the screen.

I work in the NHS. I think a lot of stuff couldn't function if we couldn't use VGA. 😂

I think for not a lot of money you'll get some thing that's not just a replacement, but will feel like a real upgrade.

And o h perhaps a basic ups also.

I dont think I'd bother, the money is better spent on decent network storage/backups.

weltweit, You're going to need a new(er) PC but have you tried resetting the BIOS?
I did have a play with the settings when it let me in but I didn't really know what I was doing. Now it's too late because it won't even start they just beeps non-stop at me the disc isn't being accessed and I have to power it off to stop the beep. :) :(

I dont think I'd bother, the money is better spent on decent network storage/backups.
I was thinking that a ups could save me problems in the future? Last year I stupidly unplugged the computer while it was in the middle of installing an update. It didn't like it :)

I did have a play with the settings when it let me in but I didn't really know what I was doing. Now it's too late because it won't even start they just beeps non-stop at me the disc isn't being accessed and I have to power it off to stop the beep. :) :(
Flip the battery out and short the clear cmos jumper.
I was thinking that a ups could save me problems in the future? Last year I stupidly unplugged the computer while it was in the middle of installing an update. It didn't like it :)
I have two UPSs here, and I wouldn't be without them... except I neglected to fit them when I moved into this house 3 years ago, and I don't miss them. Although I did buy new batteries for them a few months ago :facepalm:

I'm not saying don't get one. I'm saying if you have the money spend it on your backup solution before you do any of that.

Back
Top Bottom