Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Odd computer behaviour

Ok, there are more credible ones from Amazon or Argos for around £40-60 .. they look more genuine ..

Most of them are USB3 - I think my PC is USB2 ..

It's backwards compatable, but data transfer will be slower. I've bought a few recertified hard drives from western digital. They've always been new.

Edit: Frustratingly they have little stock at the moment.

On the wipe and reinstall, they note about installed apps and say don't tick that box, I have Adobe apps which came installed and want to keep them. I don't think I have licences for them though but they were installed in the basic machine.

So, my 1TB drive is:

I have C: with 242 GB used

and a D: with 202 GB used
of which 200GB are 23,600 photos

The external drive I was given has 149 GB total space.

On the wipe and reinstall, they note about installed apps and say don't tick that box, I have Adobe apps which came installed and want to keep them. I don't think I have licences for them though but they were installed in the basic machine.

Then you'll probably be fine. That was just belt and braces. Are these really old ones that predate creative cloud? You might be able to find the key with a third party programme, but tracking down the install files can be a pain.

So, my 1TB drive is:

I have C: with 242 GB used

and a D: with 202 GB used
of which 200GB are 23,600 photos

Is there any useful data on C ?

It might be more convenient to buy a couple of 500GB USB sticks if that's all you have and keep the data on both. In an ideal world you'd keep one outside of your home and rotate them.

Is there any useful data on C ?
There is my desktop where I store loads of immediate stuff. I have to reorganise it because some time back the data was all moved to a backup folder replacing all the icons on the desktop with shortcuts.

Apart from that and users stuff it is mainly windows.

Interestingly the machine has been up and stable for some hours now, not to jinx it but - getting a proper backup out of this would be progress in itself :)

There is my desktop where I store loads of immediate stuff. I have to reorganise it because some time back the data was all moved to a backup folder replacing all the icons on the desktop with shortcuts.

Apart from that and users stuff it is mainly windows.

Interestingly the machine has been up and stable for some hours now, not to jinx it but - getting a proper backup out of this would be progress in itself :)

Even if it was brand new then backups of stuff like photos are so important. You just can't replace them.

I could delete a lot of photos, I have usually a few shots of the same thing and only use one. Takes a bit of thinking how to avoid deleting the good ones but I expect I could write protect the best ones and lose the rest. Raw files from my camera are 30mb each so some savings to be made.

Just had a crash, reliability monitor says that a Wacom professional Tablet driver stopped working, this is something my son installed a few years ago, I don't have a tablet so I have uninstalled it.

I could delete a lot of photos, I have usually a few shots of the same thing and only use one. Takes a bit of thinking how to avoid deleting the good ones but I expect I could write protect the best ones and lose the rest. Raw files from my camera are 30mb each so some savings to be made.
I usually "dump" my images as uploads to Ipernity ... not everything needs to be made public on there !

These days I rarely keep images on the lappy, most get uploaded but I do keep both camera chips and an external hard-drive as back-ups for completed / important work.
{which reminds me, this weekend is meant to be file backup / clean up day }

OK, been looking what do you think of these UnderOpenSky ?

Toshiba Canvio Ready 1TB Portable Hard Drive - £43.99​

1 year guarantee

Seagate Retail 1TB Portable Hard Disk Drive £39.99​

2 year guarantee

Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive £49.99​

2 year guarantee

2 year guarantee

OK, been looking what do you think of these UnderOpenSky ?

Toshiba Canvio Ready 1TB Portable Hard Drive - £43.99​

1 year guarantee

2 year guarantee

Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive £49.99​

2 year guarantee

2 year guarantee

I'd be happy with any of them.

These are all HDD, the SSDs all seem more expensive.

And pointless if you have USB 2

So I got a 1tb external drive and backed up all my stuff. Many hours (with USB2).

I noticed the computer behaved itself while I was just using file explorer to back up stuff which made me wonder, every time it has crashed it has been running Edge so I wondered if perhaps I have a bad sector where edge is located. Now running check disk on my C drive to see if there is a problem. However, like many of these processes it is going to take an age to come up with an answer and it seems running it from file explorer it won't repair the disk even if it finds a fault.

Does anyone know if it is possible to just reinstall Edge in Win 10?

depends how cautious you want to be.

having one external hard drive and using that as your backup device is better than nothing, but i know someone who did this, then had a power surge or something while he was in the middle of a backup, and that buggered both the computer and the external drive...

i have two external hard drives and use them alternately - there's a few programs out there to do backups so that it just sees what has changed - i use syncback (which is a free download) although i'm sure others are available. i've found it fairly good, although it sometimes gets in to a tangle round clocks forward / back (which it isn't supposed to)

possibly taking it a step further, i then copy latest hard drive to the laptop i use when i'm away from home (although i'm away from home less than i used to be), and i keep one of the hard drives at mum-tat's house (i also backup mum-tat's computer on to the pair of hard drives when i'm over there, so there's an 'off site' backup of her computer here.)

i'm a bit wary of using anything cloud / online as storage - i am aware some people used fotopic as storage for their photos, and it went bust suddenly - i think it was eventually possible to download your stuff, but it was unavailable for some time...

So I got a 1tb external drive and backed up all my stuff. Many hours (with USB2).

I noticed the computer behaved itself while I was just using file explorer to back up stuff which made me wonder, every time it has crashed it has been running Edge so I wondered if perhaps I have a bad sector where edge is located. Now running check disk on my C drive to see if there is a problem. However, like many of these processes it is going to take an age to come up with an answer and it seems running it from file explorer it won't repair the disk even if it finds a fault.

Does anyone know if it is possible to just reinstall Edge in Win 10?

It will be possible, but I don't think it's a great idea, I think this kind of granular troubleshooting isn't helpful, you can spend so long trying to unpick things. A fresh environment rules out a lot.

I know it's a ball ache but just go for the reinstall. It's an old PC and your system will just feel nicer for it anyway. If your still having problems then it might well be hardware, but at least you've rulled a lot out.

If you don't have problems afterwards, then your now confident on your back up and restore and your PC will likely feel faster for it anyhow. My work lap isn't even two years old yet and I'm really looking forward to doing this. I'm swapping 365 domains so feels a great time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBV
depends how cautious you want to be.

having one external hard drive and using that as your backup device is better than nothing, but i know someone who did this, then had a power surge or something while he was in the middle of a backup, and that buggered both the computer and the external drive...

i have two external hard drives and use them alternately - there's a few programs out there to do backups so that it just sees what has changed - i use syncback (which is a free download) although i'm sure others are available. i've found it fairly good, although it sometimes gets in to a tangle round clocks forward / back (which it isn't supposed to)

possibly taking it a step further, i then copy latest hard drive to the laptop i use when i'm away from home (although i'm away from home less than i used to be), and i keep one of the hard drives at mum-tat's house (i also backup mum-tat's computer on to the pair of hard drives when i'm over there, so there's an 'off site' backup of her computer here.)

i'm a bit wary of using anything cloud / online as storage - i am aware some people used fotopic as storage for their photos, and it went bust suddenly - i think it was eventually possible to download your stuff, but it was unavailable for some time...

Ideally we are all working on a 3 2 1 backup. Have the data on your machine, a local backup and off site backup which could be cloud or driving it round to your mates house.

I think cloud is great as most people, including me are forgetful and it's really easy to have constantly sinking. But for the reasons you say it wouldn't be my only backup. That said I trust Google with my data more then I do my hard disks failing.

It will be possible, but I don't think it's a great idea, I think this kind of granular troubleshooting isn't helpful, you can spend so long trying to unpick things. A fresh environment rules out a lot.
I just reinstalled Edge, wasn't so hard to do just a few minutes.
I know it's a ball ache but just go for the reinstall. It's an old PC and your system will just feel nicer for it anyway. If your still having problems then it might well be hardware, but at least you've rulled a lot out.

If you don't have problems afterwards, then your now confident on your back up and restore and your PC will likely feel faster for it anyhow. My work lap isn't even two years old yet and I'm really looking forward to doing this. I'm swapping 365 domains so feels a great time.
Ok, how do I do it?

Back
Top Bottom