Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Occupy Wall Street

What are they thinking? If this was happening in an arab spring country we'd be saying they are panicking, stumbling badly and teetering on the brink.

The sights and sounds live on the Brooklyn Bridge.
People of the Bronx are out on the streets.
And a projection on the 'Verizen Building' has this to say:

'We are Unstoppable.
Another World is Possible!'
And "99 percent" in a circle, like a scene from 'Batman'.

http://www.ustream.tv/theother99#ut...e=http://anonops.blogspot.com/&medium=9488285

'Live Chopper View'. Reports of a march of '10,000 people across Brooklyn Bridge, a mile long'. Although, from what I'm seeing that looks an underestimate?

Reports of a police estimate now of 30,000. Not confirmed.

http://www.emergencystream.com/video_streams/NY/NYC3/a.html

The sights and sounds live on the Brooklyn Bridge.
People of the Bronx are out on the streets.
And a projection on the 'Verizen Building' has this to say:

'We are Unstoppable.
Another World is Possible!'
And "99 percent" in a circle, like a scene from 'Batman'.

302600_2641908377537_1550406058_32792820_307056521_n.jpg

It says much about the state of mind of a man who can pepperspray human beings like that cop does in the first 10 seconds of that video. It's almost as if he's walking round his kitchen spraying flies.

Or watering plants. I wonder what will grow.

It's totally fucked up. Can that really be justified legally? I don't know American law but people cross legged on the ground are hardly a threat?

That officers details have been posted around the internet, there is a campaign to send him letters denouncing his actions kind of thing.

I haven't looked at the legal detail but in general it seems the US authorities tend to go in hard when people block paths, roads etc.

It's quite interesting to read comments (possibly in other threads) about how some of the occupiers in London seem a little odd, perhaps unemployable. Switch to the above photo; do the same people questioning occupiers think that man in police uniform using pepper spray had a balanced upbringing, that he doesn't have - say - inadequacy or esteem issues, or other issues relating to power? Was he emotionally brutalised, ignored, physically beaten, does he now crave approval? What range of employment is open to people with that background?

And what of people who crave money at any cost to others. Who have millions and want more, need more i.e. traders, hedge fund managers, bankers - what motivates them because there's comes a point where that drive or hunger is no longer rational, either?

It's totally fucked up. Can that really be justified legally? I don't know American law but people cross legged on the ground are hardly a threat?

That officers details have been posted around the internet, there is a campaign to send him letters denouncing his actions kind of thing.
It does depend on the department regs on use of force, which I don't know in this situation, but in general in the US it's often a lot more legal/legally acceptable to use some weapons like pepper spray and tasers simply to enforce compliance by pain and discomfort, rather than to protect life etc. There are plenty of videos around of cops using tasers like this for instance. I've read some ex cops (sympathetic to Occupy) who were expressing surprise that anyone thought this was odd.

There's an interesting article here - Paramilitary Policing From Seattle to Occupy Wall Street - by a former chief of the Seattle Police, covering the increasing militarization of the police, the reasons behind it and why it should be reversed.

riot_police_rtr_img.jpg

My support for a militaristic solution caused all hell to break loose. Rocks, bottles and newspaper racks went flying. Windows were smashed, stores were looted, fires lighted; and more gas filled the streets, with some cops clearly overreacting, escalating and prolonging the conflict. The “Battle in Seattle,” as the WTO protests and their aftermath came to be known, was a huge setback—for the protesters, my cops, the community.

More than a decade later, the police response to the Occupy movement, most disturbingly visible in Oakland—where scenes resembled a war zone and where a marine remains in serious condition from a police projectile—brings into sharp relief the acute and chronic problems of American law enforcement. Seattle might have served as a cautionary tale, but instead, US police forces have become increasingly militarized, and it’s showing in cities everywhere: the NYPD “white shirt” coating innocent people with pepper spray, the arrests of two student journalists at Occupy Atlanta, the declaration of public property as off-limits and the arrests of protesters for “trespassing.”

The cops are being pretty brutal at most of the occupy sites. I too find it hard to believe this behavior is legal. In this picture the young woman pepper sprayed was doing nothing at all violent & was trying to comply with police orders to the crowd. Disgusting. Some of the cops are sadistic.
66196663.jpg

The dramatic photo of a young woman getting a blast of pepper spray on her face during a mostly peaceful Occupy protest in Portland is destined to become an enduring image of the national movement.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...rtland-protest-photo-20111119,0,2221367.story

Back
Top Bottom