Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nintendo Switch

Nearly a year in and it finally has enough games to warrant ownership!

The resident Nintendo hater returns! How does it feel that the Switch is sellling like hot cakes? Your many predictions of their downfall wrong. Switch selling faster in it's first year than any console ever! :D

I am so tempted to get Mario Odyssey but I'm really not playing enough games at the moment to justify it. Still not got that far with breath of the wild and I really liked that. I do really want a cheaper Pro controller though. Particularly for two player Mario Cart. The joycons work as two player controllers but are functional not elegant.

I bought the foal a wireless pro controller for Xmas. We’re playing 2 player Odyssey with it and it’s so much nicer than the joycons

The resident Nintendo hater returns! How does it feel that the Switch is sellling like hot cakes? Your many predictions of their downfall wrong. Switch selling faster in it's first year than any console ever! :D

That ain’t hating that’s joy! They haven’t failed because they did exactly what I said they needed to do to survive: embrace the mobile! My opinion about why they were failing and how long they had to turn things around has been vindicated by the release of the Switch!

Once the shitty price point comes down I’ll be getting one, can’t wait![emoji6]

I've just shown the demo video to my son. He was blown away :cool:

I'll be buying cardboard (ironically I've got him the SNES for his birthday :D - retro to 21st century virtually overnight )

Has anyone completed the Odyssey darker side of the moon level yet? We tried for hours and hours and ended up using the cheat for the sake of our sanity/marriage.

Looby I'm not saying otherwise. I was more wondering how you cheat! :D i.e. help
There are loads of guides online for help with gaming. Mr Looby doesn’t like using them and we tend to wait until we are so sick of looking for moons that we’d probably give up without them. We use ign wiki guides.

There is no way we’d have got through that level without it. You really should try first though because clearly it can be done.

It's been hacked, but in a good way, the register reports ...
Essentially, [the hack] exploits a vulnerability during a Switch's startup to commandeer the gadget and execute unofficial software. This is useful for unlocking the locked-down Nintendo Switch so that home-brew games, custom firmware and operating systems, and other code can be run.

Does this mean pirated games soon?

I've also read this is 'unpatchable' i.e. Nintendo can't fix it with an update?

One assumes they can fix it at the hardware level thou at some point?

Basically, what I'm getting at is, if let's say, I might want to pirate games on this thing in the future, would it be advisable to pick one up sooner rather than later?

Yes, "other code" would include pirated games too. And, from what the register says, it's unpatchable, once an affected machine has left the factory.
Temkin reckoned the issue is present in all Nintendo Switches. The nature of the flaw is such that it will require a hardware revision to fix. The boot ROM, which contains the programming bug, accepts minor patches in the factory but cannot be updated afterwards, according to Temkin. That means once a vulnerable machine rolls off of the assembly line, the vulnerability is baked in and cannot be mitigated.

Sounds to me that you should get one sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I've been umming and arring for ages, ideally I thought there would be a price drop before now. Zelda/Mario/Mario Kart always appeal hugely.

I know we're back on cartridges here. It's unlikely I'll go out and pay £50 for Zelda brand new, is there any issues with buying pre-owned games? I.e. some features don't work, or online doesn't work properly? I'm guessing not, as online has never been Nintendos strong point, but don't know if that's changed?

I've been umming and arring for ages, ideally I thought there would be a price drop before now. Zelda/Mario/Mario Kart always appeal hugely.

I know we're back on cartridges here. It's unlikely I'll go out and pay £50 for Zelda brand new, is there any issues with buying pre-owned games? I.e. some features don't work, or online doesn't work properly? I'm guessing not, as online has never been Nintendos strong point, but don't know if that's changed?

Yeah, that's kind of been my thought regarding price. It's not just the console that's stayed the same, but also games like Zelda.

Back
Top Bottom