Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Newcastle - pubs, clubs, things to do and general chat

Bungle73

I was there, now I'm here
Banned
I was reading an article in The Times the other day about Newcastle and it said there many interesting buildings there and it was worth a visit. What say you?

I was putting the idea on the back burner until maybe 2013 because I've already got a few holidays in mind for next year, but I just saw the East Coast have a special offer on atm.

The other option is Edinburgh, but I was going to go there maybe in September when it's a bit warmer.

Go! I love Newcastle. Lived there 2001 -2010 until we moved to York. Miss it loads. Get to Star and Shadow (alt cinema / art space), the Cumberland and the Cluny (pubs) as well as the obvious stuff. And take the metro out to the coast. Do the quayside market on a Sunday am. Oh, so much to do :)

Go! I love Newcastle.... <snip>... Miss it loads. Get to Star and Shadow (alt cinema / art space), the Cumberland and the Cluny (pubs) as well as the obvious stuff. And take the metro out to the coast. Do the quayside market on a Sunday am. Oh, so much to do :)

^^ this

It's a bit of a hole imo, i only go there for the metrocentre, which i regard as its finest attraction.

But then I don't think much of Edinburgh either.

you'll never know, unless you try for yourself !
Pubs, clubs, art, culture, history, sport, coastline ...(you might need a bablefish for some places/events)....all sorts for all tastes. (and I'm not a geordie)

it's a great city. due to it's size & location, it has many of the features of a capital city - culturally there's few places to rival it, of a similar size. lovely architecture, some fantastic pubs. friends speak very highly of the cinemas there (at least two arthouse places i believe), the art galleries are fantastic, the people seem as pleasant as they are anywhere. they have an on-street bicycle hire scheme (dunno if that'd be much use at this time of year mind...)

it's a great city. due to it's size & location, it has many of the features of a capital city - culturally there's few places to rival it, of a similar size. lovely architecture, some fantastic pubs. friends speak very highly of the cinemas there (at least two arthouse places i believe), the art galleries are fantastic, the people seem as pleasant as they are anywhere. they have an on-street bicycle hire scheme (dunno if that'd be much use at this time of year mind...)

Agreed with this - the OP mentioned buildings and there is some beautiful architecture in the City (and some interesting Nordic influence on the outskirts), there is the Angel of the North and I found the Quayside fairly jaw dropping. As others have said the pubs are excellent and the people are dead friendly. The Baltic is excellent and is the Walker Art Gallery.

Finally 30/40 miles up the road you have the Northumberland Coast which is stunning.

Go :)

Never been to Newcastle itself (not the one that's on Tyne, I lived in the Under Lyme version for a couple of years a while back)

Mum-Tat went a few years ago and seemed to like it.

Beamish museum is possibly worth doing.

I would particularly recommend the area known as Cowgate. Unfathomable dialects spoken there.

I would particularly recommend the area known as Cowgate. Unfathomable dialects spoken there.

not unless you want your head kicking in by Charvas. Thank fuck they shut down the Ord Arms a few years ago, though a thousand tack heeds cried when it closed.

not unless you want your head kicking in by Charvas. Thank fuck they shut down the Ord Arms a few years ago, though a thousand tack heeds cried when it closed.

I used to go there regularly without any bother and I'm from Sunderland! Mind, I only used to go in daylight:D

Yep, I'm heading there by train. I have First Class tickets booked!

That looks very nice. I'll have to check it out. So many pubs to choose from! :D

Yes, I'm planning on seeing the Grey Street area. I drew up a list of things I want to see a while ago.

-Bessie Surtees' House

-Grey Street

-The Castle

-The Black Gate

-Granger Town

-Quayside

-Great North Museum

Baltic

Discovery Museum

St. Nicholas Cathedral

-Segedunum

-Tynemouth Castle and Priory

-Watch House Museum

I also want to take a trip out to see Hadrian's Wall and Vindolanda.

Whether I'll have time for everything I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom