Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New single from The Specials aired today

Nanker Phelge

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
It's been a long time coming (after reforming in 2009), but the Specials have dropped a new single which harks back to the sound Dammers was progressing through More Specials and In The Studio....

I've had a few listens and quite like it....I think the lyrics are over-simple, and the tune owes a lot to Ghost Town and Racist Friend (which is interesting given Terry Hall's resistance to those songs at the time....), but I can see this working well live.

New album due Feb 2019....

...any thoughts?

Probably the best you could hope for 30 years after the event. Too long though. I wonder, does it get any better after 2.58?

That was a lot better than I was expecting, it would not have been totally out of place on More Specials, looking forward to hearing the album.

Could have used some Rhoda Dakar though...

Saw them earlier last year in London just north of Covent Garden in a small club where the had their early public airing before a tour and release of new stuff, to iron out stage rust etc, and sounded good in there, and great when they played the older songs. :)

I don't hate it. Which as it's from a bunch of has beens is a good sign. Ultimately it must be aimed at a new ordinance as i have plenty of this style of music to play when in the mood.

It's getting a great deal more attention than their contemporaries efforts don't you think?
Both Roger and Dave's versions of The Beat have put out new material lately, which again is "not as great as they once were but not bad actually" and no one appears to give a toss.
Madness are touring again, in full panto mode I guess but - The Liberty Of Norton Folgate is surely the absolute gold standard as far as this bunch of bands making a decent late period, comeback record goes

I like the piano intro, owes more to Norton Forgate-era madness than classic two tone maybe.

How many of the original specials are on this? John Bradbury's brown bread, Neville's off touring with his own band, dunno about the rest.

Do Nothing is one of the most important songs of my life. Ghost Town was the West Midlands I grew up in.

I prefer to remember the band as seminal, massively important and able to articulate what was happening. So, I can't listen to this :(

I like the piano intro, owes more to Norton Forgate-era madness than classic two tone maybe.

How many of the original specials are on this? John Bradbury's brown bread, Neville's off touring with his own band, dunno about the rest.

Dammers wants nothing to do with it.

I think I'm gonna file this along with some of the other 90's stuff that featured a subset of the band with some kind of variation of 'Specials' in the name - i.e.- Not The Real Deal. Be nice if something vaguely pleasant-sounding comes out of it though.

Wondering how depressed? I have to be about seeing them live (in Cardiff) on Easter Sunday ....
We bought tickets before Xmas :confused:
Nah they'll be great live still, I'm sure. I haven't seen them since they got back together and would jump at the chance if they were on round my way.

The single's grown on me a bit, now. Keep hearing it on the radio and find myself tapping my foot. Leagues away from their truly great stuff I know but still.

Terry Hall is on the latest Richard Herring podcast.

He tells of how when he was 12 he was abducted in France by a paedophile gang and held captive for four days.
He had to be put on valium when he got home and fucked up his education because of it. He's a manic depressive who finds being around people difficult.

Richard got a bit upset, as did I listening

Back
Top Bottom