Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New D'Angelo Album! Black Messiah

ska invita

back on the other side
Deserves its own thread....14 years since the last one... his last album was a masterpiece - Brown Sugar wasn't so flakey either...so much pressure on this one!
blackmessiah-cvr.jpg

its up on spotify and in shops etc

black Messiah! his ego is still intact then ;)

Deserves its own thread....14 years since the last one... his last album was a masterpiece - Brown Sugar wasn't so flakey either...so much pressure on this one!
blackmessiah-cvr.jpg

its up on spotify and in shops etc

black Messiah! his ego is still intact then ;)

Will check it out later from home :thumbs:

only downside is its too short - 12 tracks fly by - supposedly theres stacks of material in the vault form the last decade - previous album was a lot longer

its such a beautiful sounding record though - immaculate mix

Just finishing it for the first time now ska invita :)

It's really lovely, and as you say prince-tastic in a big band mash-up, atmospheric kind of way early on.

The production is firing as per usual, it's sexy as hell too so now understand why you were swooning earlier :D

Funky, soulful and quality vocals.

Some of these tracks are gonna get remixed and sampled to bit and pieces :thumbs:...currently reloading 'betray my heart' as the backing track/ jazz groove bass is killer. :)

Will listen again later, didn't hear one track I didn't like, they all have something. :cool:

Last edited:
. :)

Will listen again later, didn't hear one track I didn't like, they all have something. :cool:
played it about three times today on my one ear bud at work and even there its quality shone through - just giving it a proper listen now :):):):)

prince-wise theres one track that really hits that Around the World in A Day era button - The Charade - with its backwards clap, sitar riff, rocky drums, those prince harmonies ... quite a crazy tune really.

...im with you ruti, theres not a duff moment - excellent quality control as there are reputedly scores of tracks that were recorded and didnt make it. And theres a bit more edge to it too, a little bit of politics, some different flavours alongside the smoothness. The first three tracks up to The Charade, and also Prayer all feel a bit unexpected and pushing his envelope but without losing the plot.

... what i really rate about him is he properly looks up to the great musicians of the past and wants so much to be like them - he wants to be a great. What separates him from others who might want that is he works soo hard at attaining it, and looks up to his heroes so much he actually gets there, and not just as a tribute act but with his own stamp.

Not many modern artists id put on the same level as prince, sly, marvin, and all those others he so wants to be on a level with, but i think as a recording artist he really is right up there (not sure what its like live)...a 21st century great

:D ill stop now!

Last edited:
comes in with strings, then a little picked acoustic guitar, jazz walking bassline, finger snaps, mumbled lovesong lyrics - hard to beat formula pulled off to perfection ;)

That's the one I was talking about last night! :mad:
'Betray my heart' , I'm sure of it. You are late to this instant track love, I BEAT you! :p

Funky, soulful and quality vocals.
Some of these tracks are gonna get remixed and sampled to bit and pieces :thumbs:...currently reloading 'betray my heart' as the backing track/ jazz groove bass is killer. :)

See! :D

Back
Top Bottom