Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Cross (and Deptford), chat and discussion

talking of 90s new x....

found this too :)
proles1992.jpg

what about concession with flyer - surely that should be 2 quid ?

Noel Brown, 69, and his daughter Marie Brown, 41, were found dead in Deptford on 4 December 2017.

Police forced entry to Mr Brown's home in New Butt Lane at 2.45am after Marie's family reported she had failed to return home after checking on the welfare of her father.

Their bodies were found at the scene. Postmortem examinations confirmed that both Noel and Marie died of strangulation.

47045B6E00000578-5144637-Mr_Brown_was_a_regular_in_local_bookmakers_and_police_believe_he-m-5_1512548834500.jpg
4700F1BA00000578-5144637-Ms_Brown_is_pictured-a-6_1512548843181.jpg

Mr Brown, who was well known in the area and frequently visited the nearby Paddy Power betting shop, had not been seen since 30 November.

His daughter Marie, who lived in Southwark, was last seen when she went to visit him at midday on 2 December.

Detectives appealed for witnesses and information about two men who visited Noel's flat in the days before his death.

Detective Superintendent Paul Monk, who is overseeing the investigation into their murders, said:

"I am asking for the public's help as part of our investigation into the murder of Noel and his daughter Marie.

"We know that Noel was last seen alive and well at his home by a neighbour at about 20:00hrs on Thursday, 30 November. Marie, having grown increasingly anxious about her Dad's wellbeing, went to visit him at about midday on Saturday, 2 December. That is the last sighting of Marie alive.

"Our investigation is fast moving and making progress every day. I want to reassure people that we are doing all we can to find those responsible for the murders of Noel and Marie.

"I am asking the public to help us with any information they may have that could assist our investigation - specifically about two men who visited Noel's flat in the days prior to his death. If that was you, or you know who it was, please get in contact with us.

"At this early stage we are keeping an open mind regarding the motive, however it was clear to the responding officers that there were no signs of forced entry to the property. One of our key lines of enquiry is to establish if the suspects or suspects were known to Noel and if Marie disturbed them."

The Metropolitan Police confirmed that Noel Brown had a conviction for sex offences in 1999 but said they were keeping an open mind as to motive.

Detective Superintendent Monk continued: "One of the key strands of our investigation is understanding all we can about Noel's life. He was well known and liked locally.

"We know that Noel used to go to his local betting shop, Paddy Power, in Deptford High Street and had in fact been there during the day he was last seen alive on 30 November.

"There has been speculation that his murder was as a result of a large gambling win, however at this time there is no evidence to suggest this was the case.

"I am keen to hear from anyone who saw Noel in the days leading up to his death or saw anyone or anything unusual in or around New Butt Lane, SE8 during that time.

"This is a deeply distressing time for Noel and Marie's family as they come to terms with their loss."

Marie worked at Ivydale Primary School in Nunhead, where her nine-year-old daughter was a pupil (she also has a 119 year-old daughter).

Ivydale Primary School in Peckham has paid tribute to Marie, who was described as a “valued member of our team” by headteacher Helen Ingham.

“We were devastated to hear the news that Marie Brown and her father have died,” said the school leader.

“This is a very difficult time for the Ivydale community. We are in touch with her family and have offered our sincere condolences, and ongoing support.

“I have written to all parents, and we are speaking to pupils today to let them know.

“We have staff in school who are trained to offer bereavement support and Southwark Council has also offered its support to those affected by this terrible incident.”

47045B0200000578-5144637-image-a-1_1512496974640.jpg

If you have any information that will assist the investigation, please call the incident room on 020 8721 4205 or 101. Alternatively call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, or tweet @MetCC.

That's awful. I had read about this from another source with much less detail. I used to live 100 yards from the school and I go thru New Cross regularly, its just down the road, seems to make it hit home more. I must have walked past both of these poor people, even passed a word or two. Madness

A new show, called Save Me, on Sky Atlantic, starring the queen of doom and gloom, Suranne Jones, and costarring Lennie James, who also wrote it, is set and filmed all over Deptford

On Sunday 6 May 2018, a 22-year-old man was shot in New Cross.

Police were flagged down by a member of the public in New Cross Road shortly before 6.30p.m. Officers discovered a man suffering from gunshot wounds.

The victim was rushed by paramedics to a central London hospital where his condition is described as not life threatening.

A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said: “A crime scene and road closures remain in place at this time.

"No arrests have been made and enquiries continue.”

BREAKING-New-Cross-shooting-stabbing.jpg

(Source: Daily Mirror Online)

Anyone who witnessed this incident or has information concerning suspects should call Lewisham police by dialling 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Noel Brown, 69, and his daughter Marie Brown, 41, were found dead in Deptford on 4 December 2017.

Police forced entry to Mr Brown's home in New Butt Lane at 2.45am after Marie's family reported she had failed to return home after checking on the welfare of her father.

Their bodies were found at the scene. Postmortem examinations confirmed that both Noel and Marie died of strangulation.

47045B6E00000578-5144637-Mr_Brown_was_a_regular_in_local_bookmakers_and_police_believe_he-m-5_1512548834500.jpg
4700F1BA00000578-5144637-Ms_Brown_is_pictured-a-6_1512548843181.jpg

Mr Brown, who was well known in the area and frequently visited the nearby Paddy Power betting shop, had not been seen since 30 November.

His daughter Marie, who lived in Southwark, was last seen when she went to visit him at midday on 2 December.

Detectives appealed for witnesses and information about two men who visited Noel's flat in the days before his death.

Detective Superintendent Paul Monk, who is overseeing the investigation into their murders, said:

"I am asking for the public's help as part of our investigation into the murder of Noel and his daughter Marie.

"We know that Noel was last seen alive and well at his home by a neighbour at about 20:00hrs on Thursday, 30 November. Marie, having grown increasingly anxious about her Dad's wellbeing, went to visit him at about midday on Saturday, 2 December. That is the last sighting of Marie alive.

"Our investigation is fast moving and making progress every day. I want to reassure people that we are doing all we can to find those responsible for the murders of Noel and Marie.

"I am asking the public to help us with any information they may have that could assist our investigation - specifically about two men who visited Noel's flat in the days prior to his death. If that was you, or you know who it was, please get in contact with us.

"At this early stage we are keeping an open mind regarding the motive, however it was clear to the responding officers that there were no signs of forced entry to the property. One of our key lines of enquiry is to establish if the suspects or suspects were known to Noel and if Marie disturbed them."

The Metropolitan Police confirmed that Noel Brown had a conviction for sex offences in 1999 but said they were keeping an open mind as to motive.

Detective Superintendent Monk continued: "One of the key strands of our investigation is understanding all we can about Noel's life. He was well known and liked locally.

"We know that Noel used to go to his local betting shop, Paddy Power, in Deptford High Street and had in fact been there during the day he was last seen alive on 30 November.

"There has been speculation that his murder was as a result of a large gambling win, however at this time there is no evidence to suggest this was the case.

"I am keen to hear from anyone who saw Noel in the days leading up to his death or saw anyone or anything unusual in or around New Butt Lane, SE8 during that time.

"This is a deeply distressing time for Noel and Marie's family as they come to terms with their loss."

Marie worked at Ivydale Primary School in Nunhead, where her nine-year-old daughter was a pupil (she also has a 119 year-old daughter).

Ivydale Primary School in Peckham has paid tribute to Marie, who was described as a “valued member of our team” by headteacher Helen Ingham.

“We were devastated to hear the news that Marie Brown and her father have died,” said the school leader.

“This is a very difficult time for the Ivydale community. We are in touch with her family and have offered our sincere condolences, and ongoing support.

“I have written to all parents, and we are speaking to pupils today to let them know.

“We have staff in school who are trained to offer bereavement support and Southwark Council has also offered its support to those affected by this terrible incident.”

47045B0200000578-5144637-image-a-1_1512496974640.jpg

If you have any information that will assist the investigation, please call the incident room on 020 8721 4205 or 101. Alternatively call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, or tweet @MetCC.
"Police have confirmed a major development in the ongoing investigation into the double murder of Noel Brown and his daughter Marie Brown who were found deceased at his flat in Deptford on 4 December 2017.

Detectives have identified a significant suspect, who has been linked by forensic evidence to the offence. He is named as Nathaniel Henry, 37, ( 26/07/1980 ) who was reported missing by his family to the MPS on 12 December 2017. Henry was subsequently found deceased in a location within a residential block in the borough of Southwark near to his home address on 31 December 2017. The death was deemed non suspicious.

Enquiries into the murders continue. As part of the ongoing investigation, search warrants were carried out on several properties in the week commencing Mon 30 April in the Southwark/Lewisham area.

Detectives are actively seeking to piece together the final movements of Nathaniel Henry and ask that anyone with information contact police via the dedicated incident room on 0208 7214205, via 101 or via the independent Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

(Source: Metropolitan Police, 10 May 2018 9.22 p.m.)

DRactWuXcAIJN2C.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)​

The Late Nathaniel Henry was last seen on Tuesday 5th December 2017 at the Damilola Taylor Community Centre in Peckham, where he worked as a basketball coach and mentor. He contacted a family member later that day but this was the last known contact anyone had with Nathaniel. Within a couple of days of friends, his colleagues and loved ones not hearing from him, his family contacted the police and reported Nathaniel missing as this was extremely out of character for him.

_102868362_untitleddesign-2.png

This is seven-year-old Joel Urhie who lost his life in "a very severe fire" at his home in Adolphus Street, Deptford in the early hours of this morning.

Six fire engines and approximately 35 firefighters were called to the house shortly before 3.30 a.m.

Joel was found dead by firefighters inside the property.

Police initially launched an arson investigation, but have since announced a murder probe.

Joel wanted to be a firefighter.

May he rest in peace.​

On 25 August 2018, 22 year-old Shevaun Sorrell was stabbed to death in Deptford next to a Home Office anti-knife crime poster with the hashtag #KnifeFree displayed on a bus stop yards from the scene of the stabbing. Shevaun lived with his father and mother Donna and older brother Shane, 24 in Deptford . He was apparently at college in Lewisham and was training to be a tradesman.

4F683F8200000578-6102025-image-a-1_1535364300155.jpg

Police were called to the junction of Creek Road and Deptford Church Street at around 11.45pm. Shevaun was taken to hospital with stab injuries but was pronounced dead at 12.40 a.m. The Homicide and Major Crime Command are leading the investigation.

His father, Vernon Sorrell, 70, said: 'I have tried to bring up my children with family values and not everyone does this.

'You read about these killings in the newspapers and see it on the news, but until it happens to you it's not really possible to understand.'

Mr Sorrell, a retired railway engineer, told the Evening Standard: 'He was good with his hands and could have been an electrician or something like that.

'He was bright and good with computers. He also loved his music. He really was one of the best, we are devastated and struggling to understand why he was killed.'

Detective Inspector Mark Long is leading the invstigation. He said: “Sadly last night another young life was senselessly lost due to violence. The victim’s family are beside themselves with grief and we are working hard to trace those responsible.

“I know members of the public saw police officers and LAS giving aid to the victim at the scene. The people I want to hear from are those who may have seen an altercation between two males or a group of males beforehand but may not have realised what had happened.

“Think carefully; were you in area around this time? Did you see anyone running from the scene or anyone who looked panicked? I would urge you to contact us with what you know as quickly as possible.”

4F775F8600000578-6105979-image-m-2_1535464717979.jpg

Anyone with information should contact police on 020 8721 4005 or 101 quoting CAD 7831/25AUG. You can also give information anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org.

This is seven-year-old Joel Urhie who lost his life in "a very severe fire" at his home in Adolphus Street, Deptford in the early hours of this morning.

Six fire engines and approximately 35 firefighters were called to the house shortly before 3.30 a.m.

Police initially launched an arson investigation, but have since announced a murder probe.

May he rest in peace.​

Some people love posting about crimes for no purpose. See it on twitter a lot. Really there should be a south london crime thread and some people could post in there instead.
I agree GarveyLives has a somewhat tedious posting style. I also think his contributions add an important aspect of the reality of South London life alien to many of us on these threads. Obviously a crime thread could be useful It would also enable us to ignore what is happening in our neighbourhoods.
My experience of New Cross is mainly libraries, pubs and trains.

I agree GarveyLives has a somewhat tedious posting style. I also think his contributions add an important aspect of the reality of South London life alien to many of us on these threads. Obviously a crime thread could be useful It would also enable us to ignore what is happening in our neighbourhoods.
My experience of New Cross is mainly libraries, pubs and trains.

I don’t know if its the only thing they post but it seems that way. And if it is, that’s a bit odd.

Saw the police presents this morning, there were 100s of them. Apparently a lady has refused to come down from a tree.

A council house is also to come down, incredible how the council can get away with this. :mad:

In the 6 years since I started this thread / moved to New cross the place has changed and signs of gentrification are obvious. But the place still retains its old vibe and I've really grown to love it. Being next door to Peckham helps but New Cross and Deptford are fantastic places to live.

A few tips....

Deptford Cinema - Great littel place run by volunteers.
Home

Vinyl Deptford - cafe, record shop and music venue.
Events

The White Hart - Yes its gone posh but I like it and its a massive upgrade from what was there. Nice food and they have proper parties there too. Massive sound system.
Home

Curzon Goldsmiths - One screen Curzon cinema in the university.
Welcome

Happy Mondays at Amsersham Arms - Some big names and raising stars of comedy test out new material. Only £5.

Happy-Mondays-Poster-Autumn-2018-web.jpg

Last edited:

May he rest in peace.​

The Lenox Project have a couple of events coming up

Thursday 7 Feb - "Hidden Deptford: an evening of our maritime history" at St Nicholas Church (free, no booking required) - more here

Sunday 10 Feb - Thames Foreshore walk - free but pre-booking required. more here.

The Lenox Project have a couple of events coming up

Thursday 7 Feb - "Hidden Deptford: an evening of our maritime history" at St Nicholas Church (free, no booking required) - more here

Sunday 10 Feb - Thames Foreshore walk - free but pre-booking required. more here.

OH and I are planning on the Hidden Deptford event. Sounds really interesting. (He's from the area and his granddad used to work at the old naval stores - well back in the day!).

Hilly Fields Festival on now.

Have just walked through Ladywell Park and Hilly Fields....Sir Francis Drake bowling club, Drake Road, Drake school Etc.
We could not find the connection between the person and the area; any clues anyone?

Back
Top Bottom