Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nazi memorabilia for sale down the road is this normal ?

The Moors murderers are part of history but I doubt they'd sell a nazi flag that had belonged to Ian Brady or any of his possessions. Or Jimmy Savile or Fred west.
otoh:
Jack_the_Ripper_Museum.jpg

Well, I’m not selling my chair there. Ducking shame tho, I liked going there.
Tell 'em that.

Also, perhaps they should be told that there is a world of difference between ordinary German army uniforms and racist crap like that flag.

Well a mate of mine has various Nazi era stuff, including uniforms, because the silly sod is involved in World War II re-enactment games/shows.

As odd as that seems to me, he's certainly not a neo-Nazi or anything like that, far from it.

Perhaps not, but would you feel comfortable if you were trading shit with fash? Because that's probably a given with the nazi antique trade.

Well a mate of mine has various Nazi era stuff, including uniforms, because the silly sod is involved in World War II re-enactment games/shows.

As odd as that seems to me, he's certainly not a neo-Nazi or anything like that, far from it.
I think with reenactment there can be a linear relationship between how long ago the period they are reenacting was and risk of right wing nut jobs being involved somewhere. Romans and viking likely to be sound and drink a lot, sealed knot types, might have a few ardent royalists floating about the edges, world war2 high risk of Nazis..

yeah it could be fake, and i wonder if that makes much difference.

The production company who made The Man In The High Castle made sure all the swastikas (and rising sun) were thoroughly destroyed after they knew there wouldn't be another series: Swastikas used during filming of The Man in the High Castle have been ‘proudly destroyed’, actor confirms

It being fake shouldn't make any difference (in fact if it was fake then their whole "it's a piece of history" argument falls down).

I'm with you on this and wouldn't be comfortable selling something through an auction house that was comfortable selling this, unless I had no other reasonable option, I'd go elsewhere and tell them why.

There is a "museum" in Wales that is full of Nazi and neo Nazi items. I went with someone I support as he noticed it and it wasn't what either of us were expecting as it wasn't really advertised as such. Bit weird. Also had loads of news clippings about serial killers on the wall and a lamp made out of skin.

I think describing Mosely and Nazis as "politically incorrect" is a bit of an understatement. The flyer we had wasn't clear and I think this trip advisor review sums it up:

"View the owners collection, not overly educational."

Forest of Dean. Figures.

Murderers and fascists get monetised all the time. There are endless true crime or nazi documentaries. These all pay people mortgages.

Mrs Q, Youngest Q and I in what was Youngest's last family day out with us before she went off to Uni went to the Leicester Victory Show last September there was loads of people there in British, American and German uniforms with loads of stuff including actual tanks. There were lots of little skirmishes through the day culminating in a major battle at the end of day with about 20 or 30 vehicles and a shit load of loud noises. They actually set the grass on fire at one stage and we could Leicester Fire Brigade extinguishing it in the background as the battle was still raging. It was actually a pretty awesome day out.

Perhaps not, but would you feel comfortable if you were trading shit with fash? Because that's probably a given with the nazi antique trade.

Certainly not, I find it a bit weird my mate has this stuff, but it's normal for wartime re-enactment groups, which as StoneRoad pointed out is a theme at many heritage railways' events., and indeed elsewhere. Basically, it's a performance, I doubt anyone would suggest such kit was banned in film productions or stage performances.

The problem is how to control sales for legit purposes -v- sales to loons, and I have no answer to that.

Last edited:
Certainly not, I find it a bit weird my mate has this stuff, but it's normal for wartime re-enactment groups, which as StoneRoad pointed out is a theme at many heritage railways' events., and indeed elsewhere. Basically, it's a performance, I doubt anyone would suggest such kit was banned in film productions or stage performances.

The problem is how to control sales for legit purposes -v- sales to loons, and I have answer to that.

Replicas. Or loans from museums.

Going off on the WW2 re-enactment tangent, I'd always assumed that it was a uniquely British weird phenomenon, and had often commented that you wouldn't find any of those countries that were actually occupied engaging in such triviality, but then I saw this. Starts at 13:12. I guess they feel enough time has passed and obviously it shows Czech partisans as heroes, but still... bit weird.

Worth a full watch for the trains. :D

What different would replicas make?

And, I doubt museums would loan stuff, because of the risk of damage involved.

Replicas aren't going to have the same fetishistic qualities as actual memorabilia. Loans are going to depend on value, condition, quantity etc but pretty sure that does happen (talking more about films, performances etc here). Or you might get prop departments loaning something and making their own replicas.

Replicas aren't going to have the same fetishistic qualities as actual memorabilia. Loans are going to depend on value, condition, quantity etc but pretty sure that does happen (talking more about films, performances etc here). Or you might get prop departments loaning something and making their own replicas.

I disagree, if the real stuff isn't out there, the loons would be happy with decent replicas.

I disagree, if the real stuff isn't out there, the loons would be happy with decent replicas.

I don't think that's true at all tbh. I mean they'd probably get some value out of them, sure, but it's not the same at all. Like putting a photocopy of a penny black in your stamp collection or something.

There's also a degree to which the trade is the bad part... the buying stuff off actual nazis, who are probably profiting off it. I'm a bit less fussed if some fantasist is paying a likely substantial amount to someone making historically accurate replicas. Not ideal mind, were I in that business I'd probably restrict it to professional sales.

Interesting experience that was anyway, for a Thursday morning, was definitely the strongest emotional reaction I’ve had to an object, to just touching a piece of old cloth ever. In a way maybe I get why it’s desirable as an item, it has power.

We visit a few auction places in the North West/North Lancs/North Yorkshire and I'd reckon that 50-60% of them carry this kind of stuff.

Seen the same bust of Hitler twice recently :(

As someone of Polish/Jewish heritage who has relatives (that I never knew/met etc.) who died in various camps, I find this stuff repellent but understand the morbid interest it garners.

I can only suggest that you contact the relevant Council's trading standards office if you feel that it needs addressing. If you feel that the items are not original and therefore have no legitimate 'historical interest' then perhaps they may have a stance on the sale of such items. Same for 'real' memoribilia.

If they do not have a stance, perhaps ask why not, especially in light of recent events in Ukraine. Will the Council & auction house in question deem it acceptable to sell Russian Z flags any time soon?

Last edited:
We visit a few auction places in the North West/North Lancs/North Yorkshire and I'd reckon that 50-60% of them carry this kind of stuff.

Seen the same bust of Hitler twice recently :(

As someone of Polish/Jewish heritage who has relatives (that I never knew/met etc.) who dies in various camps, I find this stuff repellent but understand the morbid interest it garners.

I can only suggest that you contact the relevant Council's trading standards office if you feel that it needs addressing. If you feel that the items are not original and therefore have no legitimate 'historical interest' then perhaps they may have a stance on the sale of such items. Same for 'real' memoribilia.

If they do not have a stance, perhaps ask why not, especially in light of recent events in Ukraine. Will the auction house in question deem it acceptable to sell Russian Z flags any time soon?
Yeah, definitely not going down legalistic trading standards route. I see it as a moral issue, these guys have disappointed but not surprised me.

Back
Top Bottom