Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - Boris Johnson's death sentence

I was going to say from what I can gather the trial is going ahead - alas, if the judge expects her to be found guilty, can you even call it a trial. I guess it's more like a sentencing :facepalm::mad:

Anyone trust Hunt anymore more than johnson? British mother jailed in Iran 'a top priority'

Hunt may have many failings, but being congenitally lazy, and prone to put his foot in his mouth aren't two of them.

It's worth asking what the BG can realistically achieve - I know that the FCO advice is that usually the more noise you make the worse it gets, and that some consider this to be akin to hoping it goes away, but that doesn't mean it's incorrect. Hunt, who by nature is rather quieter and less bombastic than Johnson, is rather more likely to make some headway - if there is any headway to make.

This is a transactional situation - when Iran talks to the BG about this situation it discusses large amounts of cash. Like millions and millions - half a billion in frozen accounts is a figure I've seen with some regularity - you have to make your own decisions about whether you would like Iran to get that cash and what precedent it would set.

From what I just heard on the radio, and quite understandable, the terms of her freedom are very very limited. This doesn't mean to say she shouldn't try and make a break.
Trouble is, she has family out there and there could be retribution?

From what I just heard on the radio, and quite understandable, the terms of her freedom are very very limited. This doesn't mean to say she shouldn't try and make a break.
Trouble is, she has family out there and there could be retribution?
She would be shot for fucks sake, never mind the family. Have you never heard of shoot whilst escaping. Ley de Fugas?

Retribution yes indeed so, From what i see in the Graun article on this it could be an olive branch to the UK in light of impending US sanctions. The UK is seen as a weak link insofar as we are still in the EU and the EU are leaning towards ignoring the sanctions to keep the nuclear deal alive. It kinda makes sense but they should stop fannying around and just release her full stop.

There are far more pressing human crises in the world. However, they don’t have realistic solutions. Agony of this British Iranian woman is a pathetic humanitarian outrage.

Last edited:
Is Johnson still around? He's been very quiet lately. I saw that relationships with Iran have improved since he stood down.

I hear jezza is going out there today. If he discussed it gettingvhervout, it would become in the eye for johnson.

She remains in my thoughts as she faces yet another Christmas in that he'll hole of a prison....poor woman and family. :mad::(

Is this going to do any good for her I wonder or is it more posturing by the UK?

Foreign Office grants Zaghari-Ratcliffe diplomatic protection

The Foreign Office (FCO) has escalated its conflict with Iran over the imprisonment of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe by granting her diplomatic protection, a step that raises her case from a consular matter to the level of a dispute between the two states.

The move, likely to lead to increased tensions between the two countries, came after the foreign secretary, Jeremy Hunt, judged Tehran was not meeting its human rights obligations to the British-Iranian dual national under international humanitarian law. She has been in a Tehran jail for three years, after being sentenced to five years for spying....

Not connected but I'll just leave this here as a reminder if any was needed of the scum in charge.

Human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh jailed 'for 38 years' in Iran

Nasrin Sotoudeh, an internationally renowned human rights lawyer jailed in Iran, has been handed a new sentence that her husband said was 38 years in prison and 148 lashes.

Sotoudeh, who has represented opposition activists including women prosecuted for removing their mandatory headscarf, was arrested in June and charged with spying, spreading propaganda and insulting Iran’s supreme leader, her lawyer said.....

Iran rejects UK claim of diplomatic status for Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Can't say I'm hugely surprised. The place is run by a bunch of nasty misogynists. For all their differences they and the Saudis or at least the ruling cliques have a great deal in common.
Tbh I don't suppose there's a country in the world that would accept a prisoner bring given diplomatic status, you can imagine the outcry if a Russian prisoner here had been given diplomatic status by putin

You are most probably right, but the people being dealt with here are not in the least bit reasonable. I would be using Magnitsky sanctions against key individuals. Freeze all their finances, see how long it takes them to consider a way out.

Now 3 years :( Mother’s Day card for Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe delivered to Iranian embassy
5802.jpg

Back
Top Bottom