Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NASA to Announce Mars Mystery Solved

Should be fine in an atmosphere almost 100 times less dense than Earth’s, temperatures average -81 degrees Fahrenheit, and it has 63% less gravity :thumbs: Also the radiation is strong enough to cause cancer :cool:

Still, good to know it had/has some water of sorts on it :facepalm:

Take a look around your house and see where all the food and goods come from. Most of those countries were once as alien as Mars, with some taking as long to get to.
I live in a flat not a house

Sailing a boat is a bit of a different matter to spending billions to get to an uninhabitable planet. Maybe lets put our own house in order before we start getting 'inspired' about going a bit further eh?

Any billionaire led Mars mission will be solely for the purpose of setting up an escape plan for when the people come looking to string them up.

Touch wood these brave explorers will bring back something like potatoes that grow in dry soil or deserts :D

I live in a flat not a house

Sailing a boat is a bit of a different matter to spending billions to get to an uninhabitable planet. Maybe lets put our own house in order before we start getting 'inspired' about going a bit further eh?
That's such a ridiculous argument. It's not your money that's getting spent. Exploration is a vital part of the human spirit, whether you agree with it or not, and previous exploration has brought the human race countless benefits.

This thread is for people interested in the exploration of Mars. I do hope you're not just going to whine away with the same 'stay at home' argument every time a new discovery is made.

Benefits of space exploration - Wikipedia

What are goods and foods are you hoping for?
What food and goods did the ancient explorers think they were going to find? It's about taking a step into the unknown and learning more about the world and the universe on the way. That's the whole point of exploring. :facepalm:

What food and goods did the ancient explorers think they were going to find? It's about taking a step into the unknown and learning more about the world and the universe on the way. That's the whole point of exploring. :facepalm:
Except we know there's no chance we'll be bringing anything much back from Mars, except more knowledge. Which is no bad thing of course.

Somehow I don't think the regular plebs will be getting tickets to go to Mars.
It'll be an elite few. They will procreate in test tubes and embryos will grow in plastic bags. Theyve done this with animal embryos already.
I suspect they will bring the smartest, healthiest and probably the wealthiest people...and that robotic systems will do most of the hard labour.

The rest of us will be left to burn.

Sorry...but anyone thinking otherwise is not being realistic.

Not a valid comparison

I thought it was for the betterment of mankind as a whole? :(
Since when has exploration ever benefited the ordinary people of the time?
Exploration (as in seeking out new lands) has always about building someone's empire...ie currency.
This will be no different.
I'd love to think that it will be all roses and humanity will be transported en masse to a ready converted Mars that will have everything humans will need to thrive.
I just don't think that's how the world has ever worked.

I do think it's exciting scientifically.

hating on space exploration is peculiar type of hairshirted defeatism. We'll take elon musks bolthole when we take everything else. The cosmos awaits us, and the red planet is a stepping stone

I don't hate space exploration. But come on...all exploration has had a monetary value. This will be no different.

It will be great for someone/ few

this is what I mean by defeatism. Are we to always have money then? dream bigger people.

I'd love to see a time where there was no such thing as currency. But whatever way things end up there will be some "currency" involved. That doesn't necessarily mean money. It could be genetic currency. The powers that be may well decide to select those with extremely high IQ to travel to Mars and set up a new "world".
And I do know that this is depressing.
But look at the way the world is at the moment? We are stuck with a horrible system because of the insatiable greed of "the few"...at the expense of the many.

Sorry...if I'm depressing the mood. :(

Some of you may not be old enough to remember this, but when Armstrong set foot on the Moon it felt like an achievement for everyone. For the whole world. It was a gloriously unifying moment, when people across the world looked to the Moon and gazed in wonder that humans were on the surface.

If we ever get to Mars, I dare say it will instil the same sense of wonder.

Some of you may not be old enough to remember this, but when Armstrong set foot on the Moon it felt like an achievement for everyone. For the whole world. It was a gloriously unifying moment, when people across the world looked to the Moon and gazed in wonder that humans were on the surface.

If we ever get to Mars, I dare say it will instil the same sense of wonder.
I don't agree. The moon landing was properly science fiction made real. We've been waiting for Mars for so long now that it won't be nearly as mind-blowing.

I don't agree. The moon landing was properly science fiction made real. We've been waiting for Mars for so long now that it won't be nearly as mind-blowing.
Not to you maybe, but to a younger generation who have never known any human space exploration?

Not to you maybe, but to a younger generation who have never known any human space exploration?
You mean manned exploring? True, but we've done some pretty fucking spectacular stuff with probes and the rovers. I don't think anything will top the moon landing for quite some time.

You mean manned exploring? True, but we've done some pretty fucking spectacular stuff with probes and the rovers. I don't think anything will top the moon landing for quite some time.
Perhaps if we managed to explore the deep seas of our own planet?

Billions of people have never known what it's like to gaze upwards and know there's humans wandering around the surface of an extra-terrestial object. Given the connectivity of the world, I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of interest in a manned mission to Mars.

Back
Top Bottom