Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NASA Artemis mission

Certainly makes you wonder what the abort percentage threshold might have been set at back in the 50s & 70s, never mind how they managed to keep the mission failure rate so low with the technology available at the time.

A crawler-transporter is at pad 39B. The SLS/Artemis stack will be rolled back to the VAB overnight ahead of the arrival of Hurricane Ian. The 02Oct launch window looks unlikely now - the next sequence of launch windows opens on 17Oct (45 minute window at 0750BST). This will however present an opportunity to re-certify (perhaps replace the batteries for) the flight termination system (a task which can only be performed in the VAB).

Last edited:
The SLS/Artemis stack has arrived back at pad 39B.
SLS/Artemis stack rollout from the VAB. SLS/Artemis stack approaching hard-down at pad 39B.
Confirmed to be targeting a 69 minute launch window starting 0507UTC on 14 November. Backup opportunities in the upcoming launch period are 16 Nov (0604UTC/120min), 19 Nov (0645UTC/120min) and 25 Nov (1510UTC/111min).

Artemis I tanking now underway, tanks over half full, in fast fill mode (which suggests that the previous leak issue has likely been addressed).
Artemis I tanking status.
Risk of weather violation at the opening of the launch window is currently 20%.

Countdown clock has resumed and all systems are go.

Live coverage on NASA TV throughout the night.

Orion service module solar arrays deployed. Currently coasting towards apogee at 1800km at which point, in just under 20 minutes, the orbit will be raised to avoid the fate of the core stage, which will re-enter east of Hawaii in about 70 minutes. The trans-lunar injection burn, in about one hour, should the see Orion in an extremely elongated, eccentric orbit en route to the Moon.

Orion service module solar arrays deployed. Currently coasting towards apogee at 1800km at which point, in just under 20 minutes, the orbit will be raised to avoid the fate of the core stage, which will re-enter east of Hawaii in about 70 minutes. The trans-lunar injection burn, in about one hour, should the see Orion in an extremely elongated, eccentric orbit en route to the Moon.
Or, in layman’s terms, “big rocket go wooooosh” :cool:

Very, very pleased that Artemis 1 is finally on her way to the skies [Moon and beyond].
I wanted to watch, but my covid booster yesterday wiped me out ...

It has taken many $$$$$s and much time, but the teams have overcome some serious - and many minor - problems along the way.

Hopefully, we'll see some benefits trickling down to us mere mortals.
[Teflon, anyone ?]

Radio amateurs noting signals from Orion (and some of the deployed cubesats) over the last day or so.
Artemis I/Orion is currently in UK skies from around 0400UTC onwards till about 1500UTC, coasting through Virgo, not unsurprisingly in the vicinity of the new Moon:
Artemis I/Orion sky chart (17 Nov 2022; yellow circle indicates position of lunar disc in Leo). Artemis I/Orion sky chart Virgo closeup (17 Nov 2022).
Likely it will be dimmer than magnitude +10 (probably around +14 to +16 when finally in lunar orbit). Haven't seen any reports yet but the Virtual Telescope Project is going to look for it (live streaming that) on Sunday morning. Lighting geometry will improve for the second half of the mission through to Earth return (currently ebbing until after the new Moon next week on the 23rd).

Separately, yesterday's launch was visible in the GOES-16 6.2 µm upper-level water vapour band (from booster separation onwards, unsurprisingly):

Last edited:
No. Too distant already and the phase angle (Sun-satellite-Earth) isn't that favourable right now, even for telescope observations.

Entirely separately, the test demonstration communications satellite Bluewalker 3, in low Earth orbit, has just deployed a huge antenna making it one of the brightest objects in the night sky. An evening viewing window for the UK opens next week.

Bluewalker is an interesting satellite, with a huge phased array antenna. I bought some shares in the parent company, AST SpaceMobile. If things work out, later this decade, the fleet of AST satellites will provide full broadband connection to completely normal and unmodified mobiles phones anywhere on the surface of the Earth, which is quite a feat.

(Getting off thread now) Shame there's no apparent plans to mitigate against the attendant light and radio pollution, and the cultural & scientific implications thereof (sound familiar?).

Giant satellite outshines stars, sparking fresh concerns for astronomers - Transmissions from BlueWalker 3 also pose threat to radio observatories.
There's a joke I heard in a podcast that the first thing ET is going to say to Earth is 'be quiet, we're trying to do radio astronomy'.

The Orion spacecraft has been spotted. Around magnitude +16 to +17 yesterday (far, far beyond naked eye limit).
Artemis I/Orion telescopic sighting.

Meanwhile, looking in the opposite direction:
Earth seen from Orion.

Passed into the Moon's Hill sphere yesterday.
Orion lunar view, Sun 20 Nov 2022.
Lunar orbit insertion burn in just over half an hour. Will perform a close flyby (around 145km altitude) in about one hour (being streamed live on NASA TV right now).
Orion lunar view, Mon 21 Nov 2022 (NASA TV).

DRO insertion is due on Friday.
Orion/Artemis I mission steps (ESA).
Orion, Moon and Earth (live shot from the service module, NASA TV).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom