Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NASA Artemis mission

20220819_095024.jpgi only managed to get a partial pic of this, bit this is what moves Artimis into place. It moves at one mile an hour and has to travel about seven miles from the hangar to the launch site.

Also, because of the weight, the road has seven metres of concrete and asphalt deep on it so that the road doesn't collapse. There are still visible tracks on it though.

View attachment 340453i only managed to get a partial pic of this, bit this is what moves Artimis into place. It moves at one mile an hour and has to travel about seven miles from the hangar to the launch site.

Also, because of the weight, the road has seven metres of concrete and asphalt deep on it so that the road doesn't collapse. There are still visible tracks on it though.

Saw a shuttle sat on the crawler on the pad many moons ago, we were something like 4 miles away and they went doolally screaming at me when I lit up a fag.

The crawlerway is actually composed of quartz rocks, several centimetres in diameter. With each rollout/back they gradually get crushed and eventually have to be replaced. Asphalt just turns to a sticky gel under the thousands of tonnes of crawler plus launch vehicle.

So the plan for Saturday appears to be to roll into the count and see if the engine (number 3) that didn't appear to cool on Monday cools down to the operating range (it got down to about 45K whilst the others reached around 25K). They have a suspicion that relevant temperature sensor is out of calibration (has been seen before) but it would be challenging to replace that on the pad. They'll be looking at other parameters and sensor outputs to infer the temperature and make a decision to proceed based on that. The work at the pad is to address a hydrogen leak in the tail service mast umbilical to the core stage.

It will be interesting to see what happens when SpaceX finally gets the Starship operational. Starship has a payload capacity similar to SLS, but Elon speculates about a cost of $2M per launch. Even if he optimistic by a factor of a 100, Starship will still be 20 times cheaper than SLS.

Damn! My thinking of "why not both?" when it comes to SLS vs Starship is being seriously tested by such figures. $4 billion per launch seems pretty eye-watering even by space money standards.

Damn! My thinking of "why not both?" when it comes to SLS vs Starship is being seriously tested by such figures. $4 billion per launch seems pretty eye-watering even by space money standards.
It's worse than that. Over the past 20 years NASA has spent/wasted $46B on various rocket programs (Constellation -> SLS -> Artemis), all massively over budget and late. Before it was cancelled, Constellation's schedule was slipping at more than one year per year!

NASA once had a clear job: beat the Rooskis to the Moon. But since then, lumbered with a bloated Apollo-era physical infrastructure, and by a space-industrial-legislative complex that is interested only in terrestrial pork, and actually quite indifferent to achieving anything in space, NASA has become directionless. It seems to me that if SpaceX, Blue Origin, etc not emerged, in the end NASA would have effectively ground to halt, its budget being consumed on static self-maintenance ( a "self-licking ice cream cone", as described in the below).

If (if) Starship works, then I can imagine that SpaceX will tire of government sluggishness, and just go to the Moon independently, which should cause some ructions in Washington.

I'm reading Escaping Gravity by ex-NASA deputy administrator Lori Garver. If you're a space fan, it's pretty interesting. The levels of inertia, backstabbing, cronyism and factionalism she describes are mind-boggling. It's amazing anything ever got off the ground.

Currently trying to troubleshoot a high flow rate leak issue with the liquid hydrogen umbilical to the core (can't currently 'fast fill' with LH2). Launch weather is 60% in favour at the opening of the window, increasing to 80%.

A 90 minute launch window opens on Monday, 5 Sep, at 2212BST and a 24 minute window on Tue, 6 Sep, at 2357BST, but a (seems likely) VAB rollback for a fix would delay the next launch attempt to no earlier than 17 October (next series of launch windows run 17-23 October). Press conference due later this evening.

It is all very well taking the safe option when they find a fault, but if they keep finding faults and having to scrub flights people will start talking.

17 October looking more likely as the next earliest attempt now (NOTAMS for tomorrow and Tuesday have finally been cancelled). Launch window would open 0800BST. They might prefer to delay a couple more days though as various factors would combine to offer more options/leeway for the mission profile.

17 October looking more likely as the next earliest attempt now (NOTAMS for tomorrow and Tuesday have finally been cancelled). Launch window would open 0800BST. They might prefer to delay a couple more days though as various factors would combine to offer more options/leeway for the mission profile.

0800's no sodding good, the moon will have gone to bed by then. Honestly, these NASA divs need to get a clue, it's hardly fucking rocket science.

Artemis/SLS cryogenic demo test has just completed and all test objectives were met. The quick disconnect LH2 seal leak reached 5% under maximum flow pressure, lowering as flow continued, however that peak would technically have been a launch violation leading to an abort. Engineers are to review the data and an announcement about whether the proposed 27 September launch date will be targeted should follow in due course.

27 Sep would be a 70 minute launch window opening at 1637BST, leading to a landing on 5 Nov.

Another possible opportunity would be a 109 minute launch window opening at 1952BST on 2 Oct, leading to a landing on 11 Nov.

Back
Top Bottom