Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

nail hardeners/base coats

toggle

wobbly
i had a walk round the places that sell this sort of stuff yesterday and quite frankly, i'm as clueless now as when I started. an astojunding range of stuff, that makes all sorts of claims and a range of prices from the just about affordable to the OMG - how much.

Now bearing in mind my usual stop for nail stuff is the pound shop (the pound shop, there's only one here) but if i'm going to try to keep these things longer than a small child's bitten nails and wear it next to the nail, I was thinking I might want to go for something better quality as a base coat. and somthing that does protect my nails and maybee actually does some of the strengthening stuff claimed (although i'm really wary that harder = more brittle). and something that won't flake off after 5 mins. and chip when i try to type.

so do any of these products actually do what they say, and are they better than the pound shop special and if they are, can someone recommend something that won't break the bank. cause i don't do makeup. don't really do jewelery much. nails are sort of becoming my one girly indulgence and i want to have nice ones (until my lasses paint them all the colours of the small girls' rainbow dreams again)

and do i want cuticle oil or a cream?

what normally goes on my hands is superdrug's own brand e45 that I use loads of on my dry scaly feet. but i've really only recently broken the habit of chewing at my cuticles when stressed, so they grow loads of hard dry skin. and i've got some nasty callus on the side of a couple of fingers. that dries out really fast and then hurts. what is likely to be best to soften my manky cuticles?

over to you and thanks for any help.

My nails visibly improved over a week, last month, when I started using this. I got it in Boots and it cost about £3.50

P1010566.JPG

I'm using a Nails Inc caviar base and top coat that dries in 45 seconds so very handy - see what I did there - but that's quite pricey at £12. I love it but it was a gift, so I didn't pay for it.

http://www.boots.com/en/Nails-Inc-Caviar-Base-Top-Coat_863761/

In addition to strengthening the nails, the NuNale also softens cuticles so they can be pushed back. You also don't get the oiliness that you get with cuticle oil.

I was using a Sally Hansen top and base coat before I got the Nails Inc one. It's called Double Duty and costs about a fiver. I like it but it's not really fast drying. I prefer the Nails Inc one but as I said it's pricey.

http://www.boots.com/en/Sally-Hansen-Double-Duty-Base-Coat_1038048/

the creme is certainly do-able. 12 quid on a bottle stuff, maybee once if i manage to teach my children the concept of MINE!

the creme is certainly do-able. 12 quid on a bottle stuff, maybee once if i manage to teach my children the concept of MINE!
Aye, I had no idea how much it cost until I googled it just now :eek: It's a tiny bottle too :D Easily hide able though, on the upside. I was perfectly happy with the Sally Hansen one tbf, I was just spoilt by getting this one as a present.

In addition to strengthening the nails, the NuNale also softens cuticles so they can be pushed back. You also don't get the oiliness that you get with cuticle oil.

I was using a Sally Hansen top and base coat before I got the Nails Inc one. It's called Double Duty and costs about a fiver. I like it but it's not really fast drying. I prefer the Nails Inc one but as I said it's pricey.

http://www.boots.com/en/Sally-Hansen-Double-Duty-Base-Coat_1038048/

i can do longer drying stuff cause i'll do the nails over an hour or so while playing about on the kindle. like coat, read 10 mins, coat, etc. and i've tried some of the sally hansen polishes when they turn up for a quid. they certainly dry faster than the claire's stuff my lass spent her birthday money on (which is a big part of where the rainbow dreams effect comes from).

and that is certainly a lot closer to my price range

Aye, I had no idea how much it cost until I googled it just now :eek: It's a tiny bottle too :D Easily hide able though, on the upside. I was perfectly happy with the Sally Hansen one tbf, I was just spoilt by getting this one as a present.

the only space I have that is really hidable is already holding the stuff i really want to hide.

and now back to reading discourses on prostitution versus sex work before i loose my rad fem credentials;)

i find l'oreal nail varnish fairly quick-drying and hard-wearing and that's under a fiver i think and has a clear colour. also good for a top coat to stop cheaper nail varnish chipping.

every week i push my cuticles back with a cheap stick thingy (pack of several from superdrug) when i file them. if you do it regularly it keeps them under control. i don't tend to remember to use proper nail cream, just moisturise my hands a lot with any old moisturiser.

i find l'oreal nail varnish fairly quick-drying and hard-wearing and that's under a fiver i think and has a clear colour. also good for a top coat to stop cheaper nail varnish chipping.

every week i push my cuticles back with a cheap stick thingy (pack of several from superdrug) when i file them. if you do it regularly it keeps them under control. i don't tend to remember to use proper nail cream, just moisturise my hands a lot with any old moisturiser.

i loathe filing them, can't do emery boards, metal ones are apparently shite. but the pound shop had glass ones and i think i'm in love.

and cesare

amab.png

i might have to hide out the back at work tomorrow rather than spend half the day explaining

Back
Top Bottom