Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My First Sewing Machine.. suggestions for easy projects for a complete beginner?

bimble

floofy
I got the machine to solve a curtain problem, and think I can just about manage to do it (a couple of straight lines that’s it).

But unexpectedly very excited by the whole thing now, of having a sewing machine and learning a new skill.. so what could I attempt as a total beginner and person with very little patience.. it’s not going to be anything which involves zips is it?

What’s the easiest thing in the world of sewing to make? Probably a tea towel. :(

Shirts are really complicated dessiato - cuffs, collars, buttonholes, all fiddly stuff.

I did a 'how to make a tote bag' thing I can send you if you like bimble.

I'm about to start tutoring on a project empowering Muslim women through the medium of sewing. :D I'm teaching them how to use sewing machines and the next session they are going to start making things to sell. I have explained that this might be a bit of a tall order and I'm desperately hoping that at least some of them already have some skills.

But we are starting with tote bags, scrunchies, cushions, maybe simple soft toys and then skirts.

Skirts are probably the easiest item of clothing, flared if possible, so you only have to get the waist measurement right. Baggy pyjama trousers aren't too bad either.

I’ve started (and stuck with) bags and cushions. Never done a zip.

You can do an envelope style closing for cushion covers but the deeper the better to keep them neat. You can also use buttons.
I can’t find the pattern I used because I deleted all my favourites.
ETA found it. How to Make a Zip-Free Cushion Cover | Hobbycraft UK
There’s loads of tutorials on there.

I did also make my own bunting. One sweet one with the name of my friend’s baby on and the rest sweary.
First and very basic bag and bunting attempts.
F0AE07F8-1345-4BD7-ACB7-4AD424BE1E30.jpegB0BBAC59-0A3C-4F65-A269-76DF629B2DFB.jpeg

I’ve never made a tote bag, not sure why.
That could be a Christmas present project because it’s fairly easy I’d assume, can be personalised to recipient’s taste and much less of a faff than cross stitch.

I have millions so none for me! 😄

I think shirts must be one of the hardest things to make, the collars and buttons and all that. I might manage a very loose sleeveless summer dress fashioned from a duvet cover.
For now, splicing two ikea curtains together feels like a great achievement.
I’m loving it though which I didn’t expect to at all, have been scared of the machines since Mathew sewed through his finger in home economics one day in the 1980s.

Shirts are really complicated dessiato - cuffs, collars, buttonholes, all fiddly stuff.

I did a 'how to make a tote bag' thing I can send you if you like bimble.

I'm about to start tutoring on a project empowering Muslim women through the medium of sewing. :D I'm teaching them how to use sewing machines and the next session they are going to start making things to sell. I have explained that this might be a bit of a tall order and I'm desperately hoping that at least some of them already have some skills.

But we are starting with tote bags, scrunchies, cushions, maybe simple soft toys and then skirts.

Skirts are probably the easiest item of clothing, flared if possible, so you only have to get the waist measurement right. Baggy pyjama trousers aren't too bad either.
Yes please to a tote bag instruction thing.

I’m planning to handsew two long narrow curtains together soon (before the next cold snap?) to go over the front door. I’m not investing in a sewing machine as I know myself.

I think with most things to keep your motivation up and keep learning you need to do the things you really want to do even if you're afraid they're a bit beyond your current level.

There are lots of independent pattern companies now who have very beginner friendly patterns, and if you can find one where someone has done a YouTube (or Instagram or whatever) sewalong even better.

You can make hats and fingerless mitts very easily with a sewing machine, I decided to make my pal a matching set about an hr before she was coming for a visit. Tube skirts are also easy to make, and baggy trousers seem to be easy so far. You're best with a no8 needle for fleece if you do go for hats/mitts.

Curtain solution is getting a bit experimental, and what even are all the different stitches on the dial for who knows, but they’ll do the job and I’ve had a nice time playing with the new toy.
View attachment 359461View attachment 359462
That looks fab.

Wait till you discover all the things the different presser feet can do. My wife's a wizz on a sewing machine, it's fascinating to watch someone who knows what they're doing.

Great skill to have too and so much you can do with one machine.

This is what I made with my grand-daughter, who has also just got her first sewing machine. Fantastically comfortable and useful bags - we have made ones for every one we know. Sweetheart has one in orange and indigo shibori dyed canvas...which gets no end of compliments.Tutorials (of which there are many) can be fantastically useful - Gd made herself a ruched dress from a youtube tutorial (although I did help with the neckline). She wore it home.

I took up sewing during lockdown and am proudly wearing my latest winter pinafore (plum corduroy) which cost £7.60 (cos I got some deadstock fabric for £2.99 a metre). If you look around and don't mind using duvet covers (100% cotton) and curtains, it's entirely possible to make your own clothes cheaper than Primark. And nicer. And these days, unstructured dresses, without zips or darts are everywhere. Have fun.

Last edited:

This is what I made with my grand-daughter, who has also just got her first sewing machine. Fantastically comfortable and useful bags - we have made ones for every one we know. Sweetheart has one in orange and indigo shibori dyed canvas...which gets no end of compliments.Tutorials (of which there are many) can be fantastically useful - Gd made herself a ruched dress from a youtube tutorial (although I did help with the neckline). She wore it home.

I took up sewing during lockdown and am proudly wearing my latest winter pinafore (plum corduroy) which cost £7.60 (cos I got some deadstock fabric for £2.99 a metre). If you look around and don't mind using duvet covers (100% cotton) and curtains, it's entirely possible to make your own clothes cheaper than Primark. And nicer. And these days, unstructured dresses, without zips or darts are everywhere. Have fun.
I'm amazed you got deadstock fabric, any fabric, so cheap. Where from? In London and online the price of it has gone right up and is now the same as new fabric because it's seen as sustainable and is therefore in demand.

I have to say most people don't find it a cheap hobby at all and I personally am paying a lot more for my clothes than if I just bought them. Specially once you've bought a couple of reels of thread, a zip and some elastic. Except that you can't really compare because what I'm making is more Toast quality than H&M and I wouldn't be able to buy anything similar in my size at all.

Had a sewing machine years ago in my teens and I remember starting with skirts..putting in zips and all. The most difficult piece I made was a pair of tartan cropped leg trousers that had what is now called a paper bag waist. I cannot believe that I managed to match the tartan perfectly. They were worn to death with winkle pickers and a giant 80s jumper. I thought I was the bees knees and I wish I hadn't recyced them.

I also made a padded dog coat for my aunt's dog. Fitted the inner padding...even sewed in the diamond criss cross over the padding. I cannot believe I was able to do all that.

It stopped when I went to university and ran out of time to do much else but study. I wish I had kept it up.
Also cloth was expensive.

Maybe it's something I could start again in retirement.

Back
Top Bottom